Author Topic: What were your main concerns when you went Sly and how did you overcome them?  (Read 11074 times)

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Our entire culture is way too focused on appearance so much so that beautiful young women starve themselves to death!

So it's quite natural (?) to be overly concerned with what others think... after all NOBODY wants to be rejected!

Being SLY has made me come face to face with my own dependence on the acceptance/rejection of others and for the most part set me free from that initial concern.

I think that that’s the foundational element of what it means to be SLY.

Self confidence in who and what you are is a crucial part of happiness and living the life God has given you to it’s fullest.

Sarge

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Our entire culture is way too focused on appearance so much so that beautiful young women starve themselves to death!

So it's quite natural (?) to be overly concerned with what others think... after all NOBODY wants to be rejected!

Being SLY has made me come face to face with my own dependence on the acceptance/rejection of others and for the most part set me free from that initial concern.

I think that that’s the foundational element of what it means to be SLY.

Self confidence in who and what you are is a crucial part of happiness and living the life God has given you to it’s fullest.

Sarge

HOOAH!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

BALDANDRE

For example, the weekend just gone, they were the only ones who went back empty handed. I hope they don't follow suit and go SLY too as Im currently enjoying having it much easier than them!

Great topic and statement dude! I dig how you love the whole bald thing! O0

But the line I quoted...you've just made it a level playing field...before you were probably a lot more self conscience and shy when it came to girls...now YOU took control , look cool and have actually improved your looks ( to those that find bald attractive...and there are plenty of cool girls out there)....

your mates are way behind and run of the mill (especially for your age group)....keep the secret dude and keep the upper hand...at least until nature leads them to the SLY way! ;)

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
I had no concerns, i went bald by choice because i lost a bet, i said that if the Olympic Stadium renovations in Athens Greece were completed that I would shave my head and as long as the roof at Olympic Stadium in Athens is in place I will stay bald. and i started receding, It was the best thing i did by shaving my head in April of 2004, i started out with the clippered look, and once the final roof panel was put in place at Olympic Stadium in Athens was put in place in June 2004, i went with the smooth look, My Uncle in Germany had three hair transplants that didnt work and he is still wearing tupees.
Im enjoying being bald now,

shakf

Re: What were your main concerns when you went Sly and how did you overcome them
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 02:19:07 AM »
Was concerned about the shape of head initially but am okay now as it is a fairly good shape.

Offline nilagorilla

• Sly Jr.
Re: What were your main concerns when you went Sly and how did you overcome them?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
Hell I was bald when I came into the world ,be bald on my way out! :*)) That was my rationale lol

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
I  din't have as much of the "what other people would think"(maybe a little), because generally I like to shock people and I'm allways goin against the norm so to speak. My biggest concern was that I hate to shave my face, so what the heck would I have to go through with having to do my whole head but now that I've got over that and went for it I now have a routine and its not that bad and I'm so glad I finally went for it.

Balditicus Maximus

It seemed to me that my head was about the size of a pea when I shaved it, and so I felt very self-conscious for a week or two.  I felt like David Byrne in his oversized suit...

Offline handlebar

• Sly
I had many of the same concerns,but for a different reason:my moustache.I started growing it into a handlebar about 5 years ago.The Handlebar Club started me on the path of large moustaches and there was no turning back.The ame objections many face with baldness,i faced with the moustache."you look better without it.." and so forth.But i kept a growing.Now i have competed in 4 competitons,winning First place in 2,Best of show in one and third in the other.

Check this link out:

http://whiskerclub.org/gallery/albums

Now,after these years of having the moustache,people can't imagine me without it.

Back to the Sly style.When i shaved my head last week,99% of my friends and family,workmates,etc,LOVED it!!!
So much different from the response to my handlebar.
It might be due to a trend of bald headed men(i disagree with it being a trend)being popular.Some perceive that.
But bald heads have always been around.Handlebar moustaches have not.

So now that i have shaved,i have the best of both worlds!! A bald head AND a handlebar!!!
Here is the new pic from the other day

And also with one of my Borsalino hats:

I love to dress in vintage 1930's and 40's style.The bald head always matches!!!

Thanks to this site and the gentlemen therin,i have a place to chat with other guys!!!!

Jim

BALDANDRE

I had many of the same concerns,but for a different reason:my moustache.I started growing it into a handlebar about 5 years ago.The Handlebar Club started me on the path of large moustaches and there was no turning back.The ame objections many face with baldness,i faced with the moustache."you look better without it.." and so forth.But i kept a growing.Now i have competed in 4 competitons,winning First place in 2,Best of show in one and third in the other.

Check this link out:

http://whiskerclub.org/gallery/albums

Now,after these years of having the moustache,people can't imagine me without it.

Back to the Sly style.When i shaved my head last week,99% of my friends and family,workmates,etc,LOVED it!!!
So much different from the response to my handlebar.
It might be due to a trend of bald headed men(i disagree with it being a trend)being popular.Some perceive that.
But bald heads have always been around.Handlebar moustaches have not.

So now that i have shaved,i have the best of both worlds!! A bald head AND a handlebar!!!
Here is the new pic from the other day

And also with one of my Borsalino hats:

I love to dress in vintage 1930's and 40's style.The bald head always matches!!!

Thanks to this site and the gentlemen therin,i have a place to chat with other guys!!!!

Jim

Funny not only does the bald head make you look "current" it also adds to the cool vintage look!

Very cool bro! O0

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
Honestly, none.  I knew I had to do it after a hair trimming mistake I did to myself, and liked it afterwards, so I have kept it since that point.
bald for life

Offline froze

• Sly
I was almost bald most of my married life!
So it wasn't to shocking when I shaved it one day and caome out into my living room
my wife and daughter both gave me that wife look and said did you shave your head?

My comment was yes! I did! What do you think! Another wife look and a grunt and that was it!
Everyone else just looked at me funny!!!

Enter your email address: