Author Topic: pimples on head but not razor burn  (Read 79913 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: pimples on head but not razor burn
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  So I would put the combination of lotions on first then the witch hazel? Wouldn't the witch hazel remove the lotions from your head?
Sorry, I wasn't too clear.  No, after finishing the scrape, rinse and dry, then wipe down with the astringent--I use the hydrogen peroxide, it doesn't have any odor and is a good astingent and anti-bacterial treatment.  Then, put on the mixed lotions--it doesn't take a lot.  I apply the HP w/ a cotton pad, they're cheap--and if you missed anything the pad will "tell" you.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
Get some 10% Benzoyl Peroxide lotion--the cream is too hard to rub in, and some hydrocortizone lotion, mix about a pea size portion of each in your palm and rub it into your freshly shaved dome--right after a wipe down with an astringent like hydrogen peroxide or witch hazel. 

:)
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
below is copied from

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/moisturizing/products/skin-moisturizers2.htm

Noncomedogenic MoisturizersMany people with oily skin avoid using moisturizers because they think it'll just make their skin oilier. However, the oil on your skin seals in moisture -- it doesn't replace the moisture you lose, especially as you age [source: Bouchez]. In addition, many people with oily skin also have acne -- which occurs when oil and dead skin cells clog pores -- and acne treatments can often dry out skin [source: WebMD]. If you want to maintain a clear complexion and keep your skin moisturized, use an oil-free, noncomedogenic moisturizer [source: WebMD].

Whiteheads vs. Blackheads
Whiteheads are hair follicles that have become clogged with oil and dead skin cells -- they're covered by a thin layer of skin, which gives them their white appearance. Blackheads, on the other hand, are impacted pores in which material pushes out through the follicles -- the bacteria's reaction to oxygen causes the black color [source: WebMD].

Noncomedogenic moisturizers won't clog your pores and are less likely to cause acne breakouts than regular moisturizers. Their name comes from the word "comedones." Comedones are hair follicles that enlarge when they fill with dirt and oil -- they appear as blackheads or whiteheads on the skin. When comedones become inflamed, they can turn pink or red and fill with pus -- these are the pimples normally associated with acne. Noncomedogenic moisturizers may also be called nonacnegenic moisturizers, especially if they're specifically designed to treat acne [source: SkinCareGuide.com]

Noncomedogenic moisturizers have a lighter feel than regular moisturizers, and many are oil-free, so they won't leave additional oil on your skin. Most labels will advertise if a moisturizer is noncomedogenic or oil-free. If you have acne, doctors recommend using all noncomedogenic products, including moisturizers, cleansers, shampoo, makeup and sunscreen.

Moisturizers help keep skin smooth and healthy, but they also provide protection from harmful irritants in the environment. Read on to learn how moisturizers protect your skin.

TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
I think you may be using too many products.  Generally less is better.  Keep it to a minimum and see if your skin heals up.  I'd continue with the witch hazel.  If things clear up, and you feel you must go back to using the other products, re-introduce them gradually, one by one.  That way if you develop another bad reaction, it will be easier to identify the culprit.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
How often do you wash your pillow case?  I'd also make sure you're sleeping on a clean pillow case.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline billyapd21

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 06:12:15 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I actually went to the doctor yesterday and she took a culture and I am awaiting the results.  I have a follow up appointment on Saturday.  I told her my routine and she suggested using a new razor everytime I shave because she thinks my breakout was caused by bacteria.  Currently I've been using the fusion proglide razors and their's no way I'm only using them once, way too expensive.  Does anybody have any suggestions of a good, cheap, disposable razor that won't break the bank?  The other thing I was thinking about trying was the conair cleanhead.  Ive read some reviews and they are mixed.  I know I'll never get a close and smooth using it as a razor but the trade off of not breaking out will be well worth it.  I'll let everyone know how I make out.  Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Offline Goldy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
Before I started growing my beard out, I would experience quite a bit of red bumps and irritation. I ended up trying different shaving creams and all of that, even switched up razors. Tried the disposables, thinking that I could just use them 3-4 times and pitch 'em rather than wasting good cartridges.

I read on here somewhere that someone tried hydrogen peroxide on their blade before and after shaving. I put just enough h.p. in a glass jar to submerge the entire head & blades while I took a shower. Rinsed the blade off and shaved my face with, then against the grain. The difference was night and day. I would suggest you trying this since the Dr. said your breakouts could be due to bacteria...bacteria that will be killed by the h.p.! I used a few drops of Shave Secret & enough Aveeeno Ultra Calming shave gel to lather up twice, with and against the grain. Closest shave I've had in a loooong time. No irritation, no red marks, no bumps, nothing. Give it a shot.

I shave my head with the Cleanhead every day. I have yet to take the blade to my dome, but the CH does a great job, especially if you use it daily. It's like shaving your entire head with the grain. It's a bit tedious if you let your hair grow out 2-3 days, any longer than that you need to take the clippers to it before you can run the CH over your dome. It does give a good shave though. I've not had any irritation except for the back of my neck because I was using a bit too much pressure on my first trial run. I wouldn't recommend using it more than once a day, because it will rub you a bit raw.

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
I shave my head with the Cleanhead every day. I have yet to take the blade to my dome, but the CH does a great job, especially if you use it daily. It's like shaving your entire head with the grain. It's a bit tedious if you let your hair grow out 2-3 days, any longer than that you need to take the clippers to it before you can run the CH over your dome. It does give a good shave though. I've not had any irritation except for the back of my neck because I was using a bit too much pressure on my first trial run. I wouldn't recommend using it more than once a day, because it will rub you a bit raw.

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »
In my previous post, I was trying to quote Goldy, but accidently posted before adding my comments.

I agree with everything Goldy said.  When I first got my CleanHead in January, I was using William's Lectric Preshave.  The Lectric Shave tended to gum up my shaver, so I then tried using rubbing alcohol as a preshave.  I rub a palm full of alcohol over my head, let it dry and then shave with the CH.  This gives me the closet shave I have ever gotten (I have never tried a blade shave).  After shaving, I rinse my head with cold water and rub Vaseline Aloe gel over my head.  This gives a great shine.

Like I mentioned in another post, I began using the CH twice a day which gave me razor burn.   I had stop using the CH for a few days, then went back to once a day. 

Offline billyapd21

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:49 AM »
So I bought the CleanHead and have it all charged up.  It' s been about a week since I razor shaved my head and I'm still waiting for the back of my head to clear up.  I really hope the CleanHead doesn't give me irritation.  I guess I just have hyper sensitive skin. 

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 07:23:02 AM »
With at least a week's growth you'll want to use clippers or the very short trimmer attachment on the Cleanhead first. 

My skin is pretty sensitive and I have used both the Afta preshave and plain rubbing alcohol.  I've found the Afta to be slightly more effective than the alcohol but not by much.

Given your breakout history I would give the Cleanhead a good cleaning after each use and rinse out the foil with alcohol to keep from spreading bacteria.  Unfortuntely the one thing I dislike about the Cleanhead is that it is rather poorly designed when it comes to disassembly for cleaning - but it has a decent warranty so...
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline billyapd21

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
My head is still a mess and I'm going to be making an appointment with a dermatologist.  I used the Clean Head on the lowest clipper setting.  I don't want to try the foil razor until my head is completely healed.  My head looks a lot better than it did but I still have a lot of irritation there.  Hopefully I'll clear up soon.  I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Offline billyapd21

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:51 AM »
Ok well my head really looking a lot better.  I still have some red spots where my breakouts were but they aren't raised.  Hopefully with time they will fade away.  I bought a Neutrogena acne kit that comes with an ance soap/scrub, Benzoyle creame, and a 15spf sunblock mositerizer.  So for the combination of using this and shaving daily with the CleanHead has made a big difference.  I'm also thinking about buying won of the panasonic linear wet/dry shavers.  I read some good reviews on here about them but they are a little pricey.  I'll most likely continue to use the CleanHead until it wears out and then spend the extra money on the Panny! 

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the Panasonic Linear Electric Shavers?

Offline Z CRUZN

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
Every so often in the heat of summer, my head breaks out with red bumps as well.....mostly on the side of my head above the ears. I work outside in 90+ degree weather during the summer, sweat like an animal & have a hat on to protect the dome most of the time. I follow a strict regime during my shaving, do it the same each time. When the heat causes the bumps to appear, I use extra Witch Hazel after shaving & use alcohol pads throughout the day followed by a good alcohol rubdown before bed. As mentioned in the thread, the key is cleanliness, a good exfoliating wash, and keeping the pores clear throughout the day of sweating. Just my .02 cents.....  :)
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/101209/samp22906c9ae3fd96f9.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline mooz1

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »
Hi guys

First time here.

I have the same problem and got to this site while googling for solution. I have pimples on my head. In my case my hand is the culprit. If I touch my face or my head there will be pimples there soon. Can't keep my hands clean all day because I work and I have this bad habit of holding my face or head . My right hand never stays idle.

Now the shaving part. The problem is when I shave I cut myself every where there are pimples and bleed. Some times the pimples act as a start point and cut a good chunk of skin which is painfull. Some one suggested  I use a shampoo with tea-tree oil. It helps with the pimples but I find it harsh on the scalp.

Is there a chemical shaver ? Some thing like a lotion you put on the hair or wash with and then after a few minutes the hair falls off ?