Author Topic: I remember when....  (Read 31916 times)

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
Re: I remember when....
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »
Match Game with Gene Rayburn!
Bob Barker still had brown hair.
2 Liter soda bottles were new.
1st class postage was 8¢
A new VCR cost over $1000, and was HUGE.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »
Sitting in my 1st grade class watching man walking on the moon for the 1st time.  Ok, I guess I just told my age.  LOL....
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
marz...that's funny about the bmx bikes....me & my brother had that similar routine.  matter of fact....we used 2 jump ramps and pretend that we were evel knievel.  man.... i even had his lunch box when i was a kid.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 12:34:39 PM »
Warhawk....werent those called Mongoose Bikes?  I remember when my dad owned a bicycle shop the kids all at school hated me cause I always had the lastest and the best in bikes.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 12:43:51 PM »
Warhawk....werent those called Mongoose Bikes?  I remember when my dad owned a bicycle shop the kids all at school hated me cause I always had the lastest and the best in bikes.
YES...mongoose was one of the many type of BMX bikes.  i can't remember the bike but it wasn't a mongoose.  timmy...did u own a mongoose bike?  u probably did.  if u were like me...i know that u were jumping ramps & pretending 2 b like evel knievel.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »
I love these trips down memory lane. It's cool that there's a good number of SBG members that are close to my age.
Good stuff dudes!  O0 O0

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 01:02:33 PM »
Sitting in my 1st grade class watching man walking on the moon for the 1st time.  Ok, I guess I just told my age.  LOL....

Talk about old, I remember Lyndon B. Johnson's announcement, live from the White House, "I will not seek, nor will I accept my party's nomination for the Presidency of the United States."

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
I remember riding bikes all day long in the summertime... ride to friends house, ride to the public pool and swim, ride to 7-11 for a slurpee, to friends house for some snacks and tv, back out to do some BMX jumpin, go shoot some hoop, end up in a park or something when it finally started to get dark at 9:00 ....

Damn I had alot of energy back then.

I remember cars being made out of metal.

AC/DC and Van Halen were new.

Concert Tees you could only get at concerts.

Skateboards going from banana boards to wide 10" skate park boards and back.

The Gong Show w/ the unknown comic.

The Oakland raiders being REALLY hardcore with John Madden coaching and Ken Stabler at QB.

Mom and pop record stores.

Those pants that older girls wore that had the zipper front to back that we would always imagine unzipping all the way (because they did "it").

The Atari 2600 being high tech.

All good!!!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »
I remember getting new clothes for school meant a trip to Sears for some TOUGHSKINS. Remember those? They had like the double reinforced knees you couldn't wear out and they were stiff as a board for the first 20 washings. They came in Husky and Slim fit. I don't think I've worn a piece of clothing from Sears since. Probably 30 years ago.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »
I am like many of you. Riding a bmx bike EVERYWHERE , one with pegs so someone could ride on the back. Saturday morning cartoons. Cookouts.

Nostalgia and Reflection are big influences in my songwriting.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
I am like many of you. Riding a bmx bike EVERYWHERE , one with pegs so someone could ride on the back.

Yeah man, thats where your woman would ride.  >:D

Warhawk, hell yeah... Evel Knievel was a HUGE influence on me throughout my life... from jumping my banana seat bike to BMX... Motocross, skateboarding, snowboarding, mountain bikeing, etc...

He is always ranked the number one badass regardless of who is doing double backflips on a motocross bike these days.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »
You guys have covered a lot of ground, and I remember 95% of all of it.  I remember...

1) burning leaves in the fall
2) playing 'Kick the Can' after dark
3) making up our own games in the car on vacations -- no electronic games
4) getting a great public education from teachers who actually taught the basics and weren't concerned about being your friend and expected (and usually deserved) your respect (sorry, a little political on that one)
5) thinking it was a big deal to go downtown (when there was a downtown) on the bus to go to the Five and Dime, Donut Shop (independently owned), and the library using my library card -- loved the sound the machine used to make printing the due date
6) my all-in-one record player/radio with a manual tuning dial

Great topic... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

BALDANDRE

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »
I remember when EVERYONE went to the bank of fridays...

you had to have your cash for the weekends...

no atms, no credit cards ( for most average folks) and a lot of places didn't take checks!

This was thru the eyes of a young kid watching a frustrated dad!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »
I remember when Coke came in glass bottles and you had to return the empties to the gas station to get 5 cents per bottle deposit back.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 08:36:16 PM »
Metal lunchboxes .... Non-electric vending machines (you put in a dime, pulled the handle, and the food came out) .... Coca-Cola came in two sizes, 6 and 12 oz.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt