Author Topic: How to react to 5 year old nephew who is scared of me after shaving?  (Read 4762 times)

Offline asianman

• Sly Guy in Training
I don't see my little nephew too often since I don't live in the same city but came to visit and I was spending time with him playing games and watching tv with a hat on.  At one point I decided to take off my hat and he was in shock asking me what happened to my hair. I told him I thought it look better and he told me to put my hat back on with a freightened look. Should I always wear a hat around him?

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
No way he is a kid and he will get use to the new look. Wear the hat , but also take it off . Children will say what they feel , but they can adjust quickly. But to wear your hat all the times makes no sense.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
I suspect by the next time he sees you, if you have a hat on, he will probably ask you to remove the hat so he can see your head.

Unless he has had a BAD experience with a guy that had a shaved head, he will be fine. But you may want to ask his parent(s) about that just to make sure.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Kids usually adapt quickly. My former gf's 7 yo granddaughter was a little shocked when I first shaved my head, not long after, she loved to apply lotion to my head.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Yes, ask him if he wants to rub your head.  And, let him '" help" you putting moisturizer on your scalp. 

Offline jmdate

• Learning the way of Sly
  • It has been a long time...
My friends' kids are intrigued by my lack of hair - Sam once asked "Why have you got a naked head?" which I thought was lovely.

I suspect your nephew is unused to seeing anyone he knows with little or no hair, therefore you are widening his experience. You could choose to wear a hat in front of him, you could decide not to shave for a few days before your next visit, but neither of those are you-being-you. He'll very quickly get used to you with a shaved head if you spend any amount of time with him.

At the other end of the scale, I have to take my hat off (even in the middle of winter) when I visit another household as the kids (and the dog!) don't like men in hats! It's hard work being bald and interesting!

Offline jjt724

• Sly Guy in Training
Leave the hat off. My nephew acted scared about mine too at first, but now he thinks it's cool and rubs my head lol.

Offline SSL87

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: How to react to 5 year old nephew who is scared of me after shaving?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:27:11 AM »
this is hilarious