Author Topic: 16 and balding.. should i shave?  (Read 5480 times)

Offline jhammer5

• Learning the way of Sly
16 and balding.. should i shave?
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »
Hey guys, I am only 16 years old and ive never had great hair. my dad and grandpa are bald so i saw this coming. however, i was crushed when i went to the dermatologist and she said i was infact balding at 16. I want to know if i should shave my head and embrace it since ive always looked beter with shorter hair. OR should i do all the rogaine stuff and wait it out till im 18 when its become a little more acceptable to have a shaved head. either way highschoolers will still tease me.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: 16 and balding.. should i shave?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:06:21 AM »
i would suggest getting a short buzz initially.  Certainly you might be teased, but this is you. At your age I certainly wanted a short buzz which I did when I went to college. I got called cueball - loved that.. Shaved head sometime later and have done that for years even before balding.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:22:50 AM »
I don't think you should shave your head at 16, you have plenty of years ahead of you for that. Keep it trimmed short and stop worrying about it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:33:15 AM »
I would say it depends on how much hair loss you already have. If its not noticable yet, just keep it short until it becomes noticable, but if its already obvious, then go ahead and go full sly. Seems its what you want to do anyway if youre here asking for advice.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »
I am a barber.  I would really have to see some photos of you before I could render an opinion, but;

1.  There is nothing wrong with shaving your head - at whatever age - either because of hair loss, or simply by choice.  A shaved head is a legitimate haircut/style to choose.

2.  Even if your hair loss has truly begun to "show" there are a couple of "tricks of the trade" that I might be able to suggest so that you could have some fun with it and wear a couple of different, and very trendy, cuts on your road to a fully shaved noggin - but again - I would need to see some photos to make suggestions to you.

3.  Bear in mind that male pattern hair loss often goes in spits and spurts:

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
If you really don't like your hair, try a short buzz.  Buzz cuts are common, and if the balding is not severe at this point, it will look better and you will likely feel better about it.  You can decide a few years later if you want to transition form a buzz to shaved.
SlyBeard

Offline Sly14

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
As everybody seems to be telling you, try a buzzcut,if you like it you can shave you head later, I wouldn't recommend to go for shaved head directly if you are not used to have short hair.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 01:31:12 AM »
I would agree.... try a buzzcut first.

Enter your email address: