Author Topic: Finally Sly!  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Chrisb

• Learning the way of Sly
Finally Sly!
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:11:55 AM »
Hi Guys

I've been lurking on the site for quite some time but had problems registering.  It finally worked and it is great to be able to contribute to this fantastic place!

I'm 49 years old and started going bald while I was still at school.  I'm was quite a shy person back then and dealing with the remarks and jokes were not easy.  I wore a hair system for 7 years and it was the worst mistake I've made in my life.  It never looked natural and the looks I got were even worse than the remarks I had to deal with before.  Looking back I can't help but wonder how different those 7 years would have been if I decided to accept my baldness instead.

I got rid of the system and kept what was left short and I felt a million times better.  Later on I realized bald can be sexy but balding sure as hell isn't.  So I went shorter and shorter and for a long time kept it around a 1.  I really wanted to shave my head but it was surprisingly difficult to actually do it.  So on the 17th of December last year (2016) I thought to hell with it and I shaved.  And it is absolutely fantastic!  Surprisingly almost no-one realized I started to shave, not even my partner of 21 years.  I have been completely bald on top for many years and I guess looks-wise there isn't much difference between a 1 and a razor.  But it feels totally awesome and I love the feel of my smooth noggin!  Initially I thought I'll shave every two or three days but I HATE the velcro feel so every day now starts with a refreshing head shave. I grew a full beard a couple of months ago and it goes so well with the shaved head, I love the look.

Although emotionally I wasn't ready for this when I was in my twenties I can't help but think how much better those years would have been if I started to shave my head back then.  Better later than never but if any fence sitter is reading this my advise is go for it, it is awesome!

Cheers.

Chris

PS.  I'll post a picture when I can figure out how to take a decent picture of myself.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Finally Sly!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:17:18 AM »
Welcome, Chris! Thanks for sharing your story, feel free to participate often!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
Great intro. Will strike a chord  with  many. Will be good to see a photo.  Welcome.
Roger

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
Welcome!

You're one of several lurkers to pop out recently, it's exciting and encouraging to other lurkers as well as us who've already chosen. Glad to see you choose bald, and I hope you grow to love it more daily. I certainly do Everytime I look in a mirror now!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:51:19 AM »
Welcome!!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
Welcome and Congrats
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt