Author Topic: Question for Wahl users  (Read 5640 times)

Offline hairless

• Learning the way of Sly
Question for Wahl users
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
I have decided to trim my hair much shorter than I already have been.  I currently use a regular Wahl trimmer, model MC2.  I asked a friend what he used to trim his hair and he said he used the Wahl balding clippers.  I bought a set off of Amazon.  After I got to looking, I realized I had been an idiot.  They make 1/16 guards for the regular trimmers.  Before I send this set of balding clippers back, is there any real advantage to them over the regulars?  I know they both have 1/16 guards.  Are there any other differences?

Offline mike609

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Question for Wahl users
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
I am not an expert but to me they both look like they do the same job. Since your not a professional barber who cuts hundreds of heads of hair a month the clippers you have are doing fine and will do so for the rest of your life. The balding clippers won't really net you a significant gain.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »
The difference is when you do not use any guard. The balding will cut closer to the skin.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline hairless

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:27:25 PM »
If the difference only really shows up when I don't use the guard, I will probably go ahead with the original plan of sending it back.  When I have tried to go guardless in the past, I ended up cutting myself.  1/16 is a fairly short cut.  I can always try guardless with my regular trimmer.  If I ever want to try to make the cut even closer I can consider buying the balding trimmer then.

Thank you both for the clarification. 

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »
If you decide to go shorter than 1/16 , you might as well just use a regular razor blade. It's quicker and easier and does a better job.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
If you want to try the balding clippers later, you can just buy the replacement blades for your existing clipper. However, the Balding Clipper has a more powerful motor and you can change the blades and add the taper lever from your old clipper to the Balding clipper to make use of the more powerful, cooler-running motor. It's up to you. The clipper you have now can cut down to 000 or 1/50th of an inch, the Balding clipper blade will get you down to 000000 or 1/150th of an inch. Pretty significant and as close to shaving as I ever get due to sensitive skin. You can use the 1/16 or 1/2 Guard with the Balding clipper as well. The 3/16 or 1.5 Guard and 1/2 Guard are really nice for blending if you want to do the bald with beard thing. Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:51:27 AM by honestjohnny »