Author Topic: especially to the Bald By Choice guys  (Read 14494 times)

Offline Andy007

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm maybe not sly, but that's ok :)
especially to the Bald By Choice guys
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »
well, you are bald by choice, but if you could choose , would you like to be really bald or bald by choice?

and to the really bald guys (umm that  sounds stupid "really bald" and "not really bald"  ;D) , if you could choose, would you choose hair (which you could shave sly bald then) or not hair?

thx for your answers. im really interested in this. because actually i am in this situation where i can choose if i want hair or no hair, bald or not bald. (im taking meds).

Offline baldchief99

• Sly Guy in Training
    • http://www.myspace.com/stevesample76
Re: especially to the Bald By Choice guys
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »
There a days when I wish the hair would just stop growing but I have to say that I am proud to be SLY by choice. 

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »
I would have to say that I would like the choice of being totally BBC -- i.e. have all of my hair.  It would be great to be able to mix things up -- totally shaved, short buzz all over, true flat top, etc.  As there is no cure for baldness, I think I would really like to be totally slick -- it looks cool on guys who have absolutely no shadow.  Although for guys who have all their hair, the shadow all over makes quite a statement that they shave their head totally because they like the look.  I wonder, though, if I would miss the shaving routine if I were completely bald.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
To tell ya the truth.....as it stands now, since I'm staying shaved...at this point I would actually rather be "really bald"

Because I think the guys that only have the horseshoe to shave have the best lookin' noggins because that bald area has had a lot of time to get "seasoned" and stay tan and the five-o-clock shadow is very minimal between shaves.

as stew points out:

...it looks cool on guys who have absolutely no shadow. 

However, should any unforseen reason arise where I need/want to grow my hair back...it is nice to have an alternative.

Again, I'm with Stew

It [is] great to be able to mix things up -- totally shaved, short buzz all over, true flat top, etc. 

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:43:56 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
I think I would like the option, but I would never take any drugs to ensure it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
Hmmm, interesting...

First off, i totally dig the whole completely bald head look, on myself and others...I do think it looks good...

Would I 'choose" to be bald by nature..are we talking at this second, after I've been bald almost 13 years, by my choice..... I would say i would prefer to keep it to be "my choice" to stay bald, but if I started to lose my hair, i would obviously say no big deal..

I really do think being bald makes me a better looking person, it fits me, gives me an edge...for me it doesn't make me a less attractive person, it's made me better looking (in my eyes and others)...listen I'm no brad pitt or any other good looking guy like that, but shaving my head completely bald has made me feel better about my looks and has given me so much confidence there are times I really do feel good looking...but really I'm far from that!

And isn't that really what matters, how you feel about yourself?

Here's the deal...why not still take the meds, shave your head clean and see how you feel about a bald head....maybe you wont feel so " I HAVE to do this, this is my only option"....maybe you'll dig the bald head...then you can ditch the meds and move on with your new found life!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »
Having made the choice to be sly for almost 7 months now, there have been times when I have wished I was totally slick as the result of some natural condition so that I would not have to worry about shaving daily.  I really like how I look sly and have an attitude that is completely different than when I had a full head of hair.  While it IS nice to have the option, I can see no reason why I would ever grow a full head of hair again.  I like who I am and how I look, no need to change.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:09:11 PM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »
Being BBC for a long, long time now, all I can say is that I would like to be permanently bald to get rid of the shadow but also that I enjoy shaving daily

Offline frank_m

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »
Andy,
I think you have put up a very good / complex question.

I am totally Bald By Choice.. I personally have an issue with body hair, yes all my body hair,,but that's not the topic here  5k!v    sorry, I couldn't resist that icon.

When it comes to my head, I have always admired the slick heads, but I had these nasty angiomas (big red moles) that were nasty looking. 

Anyways, about two months ago, I made the leap and went sly, and I've never been happier about my appearance in my life, I didn't care about the mole's anymore.. ( i did have them removed because the would bleed like crazy if I nicked them with the razor )

To get back to your question, I love having the slick head.... many times I wish I was totally hairless, all over..
Buy hey, choice is always nice.

But if I had to make a choice, I would gladly eliminate all hair on my head and be done with it... of course I do realize that it is easy to say that because I do have a full head of hair and can grow it out at any time.    Nobody likes choices made for them, and we all like to have control over our destiny.   
It sounds like you have a serious choice to make, you can continue with meds, and worrying about your receding hairline and thinning hair, never mind the expense.     
Be bold take charge of it and go sly, you will thank yourself for it.   If you are worried about ladies and dating etc... you know there are some girls that say they will not date a bald guy, are you going to fool yourself and possible date with hair that you may eventually lose in the future?

I wish you the best with your decision and hope that the comments and feedback here will aid you in the best decision for yourself.

jp_bald

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »
i am bald by choice

definitively I like my hair to shave it bald, as now I shave all my hair

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 04:02:59 PM »
I too enjoy the daily shave, I find it a relaxing part of my routine. Now given the choice to be really permanatly bald, would I do it ,,,,,,,,,, your damn skippy, yes sir sure would, hell yes, darn straight!!!! I think that about sums it up.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Andy007

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 07:09:56 PM »
well thank you very much for your responses!

first if i say bald i mean a horseshoe pattern baldness not a chemo looking baldness if you know what i mean.

well, for me i posted already that at this moment my hair is not perfect. actually i started with a new treatment (eucapil) which is a topical and FDA approved. i think that it will make my hair perfect. or maybe it is already??? i cant say at the moment where its shaved.

anyway lets say i get perfect again (if not the decision gets even tougher for me) , then should i stay with the meds?

well some facts...

you see my pic and well i think and other people told me that i look a bit younger than i am from my face (the shaved look makes me look a bit older now). so about 20 i would say.
at this age, its just not "normal" and not "mainstream" to be naturally bald with a horseshoe pattern. people see if you got a shadow of hair or not as long as you are shaved. if you let it grow its a complety other question and i think letting it grow is anyway out of question if you look like 20 (or 23 whatever) and have a horseshoe on your head. then you simply have to shave it to look attractive. i mean well imagine a 23 years old guy (in this case me) with a horseshoe pattern.  :/O

so i think if i kick the meds i (1) have to shave and (2) you see the horseshoe pattern.
dunno how people would react to this. -> i think i should take the meds

though one addition. one thing to think of....all this forum and everything we talk about is just appearance. even if you shave your head sly bald you make it coz of your appearance. ok...lets go on...

im very vain. really. and i think (but that s only my own opinion and doesnt have to be taken by you) hair looks better and cooler than the sly bald look ...even if you are bald by choice. but thats only my opinion. remember i shaved it for other reasons than that i wanted to be bald by choice. (mainly coz i want to see how bad my hair really is ....or was i just too drunk when i did it???  ;D) so, im vain + i like hair more (from appearance) . -> i should take the meds

especially if you re very vain , you need to like your appearance so you dont get other problems in your life (psychologically which lead to even more problems with relationships, girls, success, money, and so on).

now we come to money and risks. for me the only reason why i even think about the option of kicking them. first money.....no. from money i would NEVER kick the meds. i spend about 100-130 euros per month in the meds. and this is totally worth it for me if you consider everything i wrote above. especially the psychological problems I get if i dont like my appearance ( i was there big way and am probably still to a part there). these psychological problems lead to so many problems in my life - especially study and money problems that its big way not worth kicking the meds. its just the only way...

so lets finally come to the health risks which is after all the only reason i still think about kicking the meds.

ok....you wont probably know much about this so i tell you coz maybe you find it interesting and its big way important for my decicion.

i take (1) finasterid (propecia or proscar 1/4) , (2) rogaine foam , (3) eucapil , (4) NIZORAL shampoo.....

lets start with the nizoral shampoo. its shampoo and even used against some scalp problems . i dont know much about risks of nizoral shampoo but as far as i heard there is none. its a shampoo so what should it do?

so to the eucapil. the studies showed no real side effects....only some which i know i dont have which wouldnt be really a problem anyway. like scalp irritation, but i dont have it. only problem is ....what if they lie??? i asked a doctor i know to look for me if there is any risk in eucapil. i will know this in 2 weeks. i hope it doesnt have risks and as far as i can say , it shouldnt have since the studies are from the FDA.

then rogaine foam. it can have side effects, but not tough ones. i dont have them, so period. there are many studies , even long term studies i think about it and they didnt show problems. anyway its a topical and so there shouldnt be many problems anyway...

ok to the finasterid which i have the most "fear" of. its very proven and didnt have significant side effects. the only thing im not sure about is if i got libido problems due to it. if i  think about it i would say NO.

but its a drug and you never know what it does in 20 years and im never sure if it doesnt lower my libido.

actually i would say i dont have any side effects from any of these treatments.

ok, but im not sure.....

now my thoughts about this...so much happens to you in your life, you take so much food which isnt proven aswell what it does, you do so many stupid things in your life which are bad, think about gen manipulated food, think about all this smog in the air, think about smoking (which i do) and everything which there is....

so i think that i take these drugs is only a little little risk compared to what could happen in my life.

to sum it up, what i fear most are these psychological problems i once got.

i got so much fear of them and i got so much fear that i still have some of them to a minor degree that i will take these risks.

life is always a risk.

its not only about appearance and especially i dont do it coz of girls.

in fact i think i will have more chances with girls now with the shaved head than i had with lets say 17 with hair.

but it doesnt count . what counts big way is how you feel about yourself. and that you love yourself.

and i dont do if im bald.

i respect you for your decisions but its just not me . and if you love yourself bald , then fine. its just ok.

i like to have hair and i love myself with hair....

i know you always can change such an attitude. but it needs much much time if its deep down in yourself and its questionable if you can change it completley.

if i hadnt the choice i would shave my head sly bald and try to change my attitude.

though wait....i would even wear a rug (a good one ) .

or i would shave dunno. anyway i talk to much...

Offline frank_m

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 08:26:42 PM »
Andy,

Got to tell you, that you are setting your self up for a life long battle with the inevitable.

You have convinced yourself that you are going to take meds for the rest of your life, and hey, that's your choice!

If it was simply a matter of just taking the meds, than go for it, but I think you have more to deal with than just meds, you will be worrying about your hairline for the rest of your life and weather or not you are thinning, and if anybody notices it.

simply take charge now, go sly and be done with it, you will find the psychological aspect of it will go away quite soon once you accept it, and face it head on.

then you can come in forums like this and post your experiences on the best way to shave and what products / razors etc work for you and what you don't like.

It's all up to you!  You are setting yourself up for a long psychological battle if you don't deal with this head on and soon.

That's my input on the subject, but you are a big boy and you'll do what you feel is the best anyways.

Good Luck!       O0

Offline Andy007

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
thx frank m for your input.

the meds anyway dont work forever. so some time i will have to face the bald truth anyway. maybe if im lucky hair multiplication comes out in the next 5-10 years and is affordable and good.

let me see how good or not good i can get my hair. i can always decide to stop taking the meds. for now i try to accept my hair how it is , as tough as this is for me.

now i know at least that my hair is in very bad shape.  :XX

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »
OK all I want to ask is ...define PERFECT???
to me a perfect head of hair is one that you would not have to cut...shampoo or style.  So the closet head of PERFECT head of hair that I have found so far is the one I have now.  NONE!   To me taking medication to have hair is like being on a life support system.  Once you discontinue it...its gone...dead...bye bye....adios.  I also put it right up there wiht these OLD guys...ones that are in their 70' and 80's and have liek coal black hair and they dye their beards adn mustaches.....ok come on ..who are you fooling.  Andy, you just need to do what is comfortable to you.  I know this place is full of useful information but it seems as you are searching for help but you are in denial.  I dont see what the big deal is about being bald.  I had a guy come into my store today and after a few minutes he asked me what brought on the shaving.  He was an older guy around his late 60's he had a full set of hair "Natural Hair"...and he congratulated me on being confident with myself and having a good head shape.  I like it too because to me it is a conversation breaker.  I hate it when I am somewhere and everyone is like silent, but now it seems as the first comment that comes out is ..Is it natural or do you shave it?  Funny how people never ask me if I am going for "treatments" I tell them I have done it by choice.  Sometimes the conversation will go on into more detail and other times it gets totally moved to a different subject.  I thikn there are alot more people out there in this world today who are more curious about stuff then they tend to let others believe.  It is obvious that you Andy....were curious about shaving or you wouldnt have come to this site.  From what i see you are welcome to  this site hair or hairless.  It is just that most of us has taken the plunge and have made an informal oath to keep it sly.  I enjoy the shaving to myself....cause i cant wait to wash the headslick off and then get to rubbing my slick shinny dome.  So hang inthere Andy and I think you look better with no hair,  but that is my opinion...you cant run your life on everyone elses opinion...thats why I (we ) say go for it.  IF someone you meet doesnt like what they see..then they can look the other way. Good Luck in what ever road you decide to take but I think I am gonna stay on this road.......i liek it..it feels comfy and its the NEW ME!
Tim