Author Topic: Exercise is good but...  (Read 4828 times)

Offline CowtownBaldie

• Sly Jr.
Exercise is good but...
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »
I have been an exercise "nut" since 12 years old. I have worked out doing cardio and strengthening with participation in sports my whole life. At 48 I had a heart attack. On the 17 of March 2013 I had to call 911 due to chest pain that started two weeks earlier on and off when ever I exerted myself...I thought it was acid reflux. Well the pain got so bad, I had to call emergency services and glad I did. Within 24 hours of being admitted to hospital, they had me in the Angioplasty lab doing surgery on me. I had a stent put in one of my arteries in my heart that was 100% blocked. I have 2 others 40% and one at 60% blocked (not worth stenting if over 80%).

I have always exercised...ate a healthy diet. Now I am on 5 medications and my diet is insanely low-fat and sugar. I hope that helps. I don't smoke! The Cardiologist was surprised how bad my arteries were. After many questions, they determined I was a victim of heart attack due to high-stress in my life (especially lately with work being insanely busy and the death of my Father plus moving all within a year)...And a hereditary with heart and vascular disease in my family.

So my message to all my sly friends is keep an eye on yourself, especially if you have these problems in your family history. Also please watch what you eat...saturated fats and refined sugar is garbage for our bodies!

The cardiologist did say that being fit did save me from possible death, so all the working out was not a waste of time, but it doesn't make you immune to heard and vascular problems.

I now begin the long road to recovery but I'm up for it...walking, swimming and bicycle riding...bring it! O0

Offline sahil15

• Sly
Re: Exercise is good but...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »
Hey man glad to hear you are recovering... Im in to gyming and keeping fit but also have a family history of many health related problems, such as diabetes, heart problems, high sugar level... although I am 26 atm.... but im sure the problems will follow me as  I grow older.... also im a on and off again smoker..... so need to stop that....

But yea a good diet and exercise will help in prolonging some life expectancy....

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »
Glad you took action to call for help and are on the road to recovery.  Like you, I have a family history of heart and cardiovascular issues.  My father passed away at 39 due to a stroke caused by carotid artery disease.  Most of his siblings passed away in their 50's and 60's due to similar issues.  All of them were otherwise healthy and active, and mostly physically fit.  The youngest is the only one of the 8 siblings alive and she is now 61.

I am now 51 and have had no problems to date.  I do try to eat better and remain physically active (with some running and weight training).  I also started cholesterol and blood pressure medication at an early age (probably in my early 30's), mainly due to my family history.

My advice to others is to get checked out.  These types of problems often have no symptoms until tragedy happens.  I am not necessarily a proponent of over medicating ourselves, but there have been advances for these types of issues.  The medications I take are now generic, but were not available in my father's time.
SlyBeard

Offline John125

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:06 AM »
Actually I think that it is most important to stay healthy and also good to spend a happy life. I think that if you want to achieve your fitness goal and not do any exercise, Is not good for your health. But if you are doing just exercise and not concentrate to your diet, is also not effective.Beauty Salon Gold Coast
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:49:35 PM by John125 »

benlen

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »
CowtownBaldie, as a fellow athlete, I suggest you check out the film Forks Over Knives, a film about a whole foods diet that may help you ward off future heart attacks and even alleviate those issues with your arteries.

You can watch the film on Hulu or Netflix:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/279734

Enter your email address: