Author Topic: Pipe smokers in the gang?  (Read 15311 times)

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
Pipe smokers in the gang?
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
Was an off and on cigarette smoker for ages though rarely heavily. Shook it the last time about 3 years back and I missed it fiercely.  This time, as I felt myself slipping back towards them, decided to give a pipe a try - and I'm really enjoying it.  Find that one or two moderate bowls are ample for me in the evening.  I'm not kidding myself there are risks with a pipe as there are with any form of tobacco but it seems as if it is a marginally better method, especially since I'm ableot hold my consumption down.  Plus cigarettes here are now in the viciinity of 8 bucks/pack so a pipe is much cheaper once youget past the hardware.  And then there is that whole new area of "stuff" to search for....pipes, 100s of blends of 'baccie, lighters, pouches, rolls,tools....

Come on guys - fess up your bad habits.

TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline ElecEngineer

• Sly Jr.
Re: Pipe smokers in the gang?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:31 AM »
Personally I've always preferred pipe or cigars to cigarettes, since they taste and smell better and also seem more relaxing.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:57:52 AM »
I'm a cigarette man. Always will be because I like it. It would really take a heavy blow to get me to stop and if it was that bad I'd probably say "what the hell" and keep on. But I must say that pipes are way classier than cigarettes and they smell way better, too. But, on the downside, I remember either reading or hearing that pipes have a far greater incidence of lip/mouth cancer because the smoke is so much more concentrated and because of the drip from the stem if the tobacco isn't packed just exactly right or has a wet heel or you draw too fast or..........
That's why I smoke cigarettes.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 05:40:47 AM »
I tried a pipe at a point in my life when I thought smoking one would make me look more professorial. Big Mistake. Fires were set, tobacco ash floated everywhere,  would forget to put the bowl up when lighting....and while it did make me look something, it wasn't something good. Back to cigarettes for about 3o years until I gave up smoking altogether.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »
Well I dont smoke every day, but when I do, I'm a cigar man. On the very rare occasion I've smoked a pipe, I've felt like one of those little old grandmas in West Virginia, sitting on her porch, strumming her banjo while smoking one of those little corn cob pipes you can buy in Walgreens for about 93c.

Someone did actually buy me a pipe as a Christmas gift in December, although I really have no idea why.

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
I've smoked them all, chewed and dipped but not no more...time to take care of my bod.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »

Someone did actually buy me a pipe as a Christmas gift in December, although I really have no idea why.

A rather inappropriate gift, wouldn't you say, given your recent circumstances?  What is wrong with people?   :/O

The last person I knew personally who smoked a pipe was my grandfather and I can't even recall the last time I saw someone smoking one.  It's just not something you see very often anymore.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Well, I know I'm getting to sound like the guy yelling wolf all the time, but pipes & cigars, although the smoke is not supposed to be inhaled, still have a huge increase in cancer risk--of the mouth, throat and also esophageal cancer.  Maybe I'm freaked but a great guy I knew, two daughters, had everything to live for in the material world, was diagnosed with esophageal cancer shortly after Katrina.  He was a runner, totally fit, but he smoked a pipe, never cigars or cigarettes--very strict on that.  They removed the cancer, treated him with radiation and chemo, money was literally no object, and he "ate" through a feeding tube in the stomach after the operations.  Diagnosis to death, less than 9 months.  F_ck pipes, cigars etc., they are just another type of coffin nails.  Doesn't anyone listen?  This can be stopped--just don't smoke.   Why do this--it doesn't make any f'ing sense.   

Slynito

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »
I agree, Saintc...I loved every drag of smoke that I took...inhaled pipes, cigars and loved chewing. I saw many around be getting cancer and having respiratory problems. Then it hit me one day who I was hurting by continuing to enrich 'big tobacco'. Living a healthy and long life is more important.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
My father smoked a pipe...loved the smell of Sir Walter Raleigh Airomatic.

I enjoy an occasional premium cigar...

Actually started smoking "non-addictive" American Spirit (Yellow) cigarettes this past month...looking for some "calm" between my new 50 hour a week job, still a full time student, and continuing to run my business...

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
I'd recommend yoga over smoking.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »
Actually started smoking "non-addictive" American Spirit (Yellow) cigarettes this past month...looking for some "calm" between my new 50 hour a week job, still a full time student, and continuing to run my business...

Pretty sure they're additive-free, not "non-addictive".  Crucial difference.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »

Pretty sure they're additive-free, not "non-addictive".  Crucial difference.

:*)) Thanks.  This gave me such a laugh!
I tried cigarettes twice in my teens and couldn't figure out what the attraction was and have never touched them again.

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »
I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago, I will smoke a cigar or a pipe from time to time though. In fact I had a bowl of Black Cavinish this past weekend.
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Hoguemeister

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Headblade user
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 06:57:19 AM »
I've been an avid pipe smoker since 1975.  To me, there is nothing more relaxing than to sit in a comfortable chair with a good book, light up my favorite blend and sip on a strong cup of coffee. 
If any of you have ever had the urge to try pipe smoking, let me say there are many, many people that do so.  There are pipe clubs, pipe shows, pipe makers and many websites that will be more than happy to help you along your journey (myself included). 
There has been a resurgence in pipe smoking over the years and if you are a cigar or cigarette smoker, you owe it to yourself to try a few bowls and see for yourself.

A Brother of the Briar,

Hoguemeister

Enter your email address: