Author Topic: motorcycles!  (Read 28004 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Re: motorcycles!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »
I was never a keen motorcycle fan although my father was.

I have travelled the same freeway to work and back for 17 years and watched as the traffic went from hectic to unbearable.  After moving 40 KM out of town in 2005, I wondered how I would ever cope.  About three years ago a colleague was sharing how his hectic traffic nightmare was solved by him buying a motorcycle.  This sparked an idea.

After much deliberation, I raised the cash and bought myself a brand new red Kawasaki KLR 650 as this was the best value for money available for its size.  Not having ridden for about 20 years I carefully honed my skills and built up some confidence.

Since my purchase, I ride to work in all weather types.  My travel time was cut by half and my parking problems ended.  The fuel costs were halved although the maintenance is a bit hectic with the services and repair costs.

In a nut shell, the KLR is a machine that has proven itself, in keeping with the same design since the early 70’s when the US Marines used it on beach patrols.  If you stick to the service instructions, this bike just keeps on going with no problems.  The only hassle I have had is the headlight bulbs have blown three times.  By no means a bike with significant speed, there are sufficient horses to get you out of a potential situation quickly.

My dream is to tour certain parts of South Africa and Namibia on my KLR with a tent, some cash and a good mate.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
I haven't got a bike yet but I hope to soon. If I'm lucky it'll be an HD Night Rod Special. I check it out every time I go by one of the local dealerships. It's a beautiful bike.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
I'm a Harley guy. I've been riding since my Dad plopped me onto a Yamaha 125 CC when I was 12 years old.
Back in the early days I rode only Yamahas.... then in about 1984 I went to a Bike show and sat on a Harley to see what all the fuss was about. I knew that day that I would someday own a Harley.

I bought my first Harley in late 1993... I rode it for a little over a year, almost got killed on it twice in a week, and then sold it (thinking it  was time to back off for a while). I planned on buying another a year later.... but then I met my future wife, got married and had kids. No time or money for Bikes.

Then in July of 2009, for my 49th birthday, I bought a brand new HD Road King. A thing of pure beauty. I traded that about 16 months later for  my current ride... a 2011 Ultra Limited...... the finest Bike I've ever owned.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
I like to photograph them

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »
I'm just taking my first steps into the world of bikes. At the age of 29 I've bought myself my first bike, just a little Suzuki GN125, nothing amazing but looks kinda cool I reckon (it looks like a bike, it's not trying to look like a sport bike or a chopper!).

I just need to do my CBT course so I can ride on the road, hopefully I'll enjoy it and do my full bike test and get a "proper" bike!! Would love to get a Harley (or more likely a metric V twin) at some point, I love the noise and drama of them!!

Offline mark

• Sly Jr.
    • Personal Trainer
Re: Re: motorcycles!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
Www.coachcampana.com

Offline Bald Weasel

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
Count me in!
I've been riding since '89. I had a Suzuki GS500, a Honda CB750, a Honda Magna 700 and multiple dirtbikes.
3 years ago my best friend's brother in law had a bike he was selling due to having to move.
He had no idea what it was and didn't even know he was a rider. We went over the following weekend and in his garage was a 1998 Yamaha Royal Star 1300 with only 6500 MILES on the clock!!!
I was in love, bought her 15mins later for only 3K and we've been inseperable since.
With the exception of removing the bags, shield and installing forward controls she's stock.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 05:01:09 AM »
Nice find Keith. I used to be a Yamaha guy. Owned three over the years.

Offline Scottakist

• Sly Jr.
  • Permanent Color Technician
    • Permanent Color Technicians
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »
Cool thread...

However if i get approached with you look like one of the sons of anarchy guys one more time  >:(

I ride a 2004 Harley ultra classic
removed the touring trunk cause if i spill the bike i dont want that extra rack to take me for the extra ride if i try and bail off
the bike belonged to my mothers husband who in 2005 had a wicked bad stroke and is now unable to ride.

If your not having fun... Your doing it wrong.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
Okay, after not even being on the website for almost 2 months I said this would be a good place to start chatting. I started riding motorcycles when I was eight years old. Dad bought me a Yamaha YZ 80 for our ranch. I've ridden all my life with the exception of the last 12 years. Due to my multiple sclerosis the last time I rode a bike was was 12 years ago and I sold my 95 Dyna glide convertible which was my favorite bike of all time.  Then three months ago my best friend called to tell me that he Won big money in Vegas and he was going to sell his trike (which was a Suzuki)  To buy a Harley Triglide. I test drove his Suzuki,  I thought about buying it but realized I needed Milwaukee's steel but it helped me  realize I could ride a trike and now in the proud owner of a Harley trike myself. Since I am 43 and not 58, like he is, I decided a triglide was a little bit too big for me. I hunted for about a month and a half and came up with my dream trike. It is a 2009 Harley V-rod custom  trike. The only thing better than having a Harley in the garage is having a Harley with a  Porsche designed engine. The damn thing is so fast I can barely stand it.  The night I closed the garage door and it was behind it my wife looked at me and said "are you happy"? I said hell no. She said what you mean hell no,  you got your Harley back, I said yeah but I got to replace all my leathers. Needless to say Harley bags under the Christmas tree this year and I've got my full set of leathers again. I got to say, and not meaning to get cheesy, when I'm on my Trike I forget that I'm sick.
AKA Gimpy

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
 O0 I have really been thinking about getting a trike.  I miss my Harley alot, people out there driving around are nuts.  But once it is in your blood it never goes away.  I like you started riding when I was 7-8 had scooters, and just kept moving up.  There is a Freedom that a person feels when out riding , and watching for the people that are not concerned about what is around them.

By the way good post. Thanx
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »
Welcome back Daven. The trikes are great for guys that love to ride but can't physically handle the weight of a Bike anymore.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »
Daven ... great story, but an even greater example of not allowing "assumed" limitations contain you. I believe every one of us can learn from your experience. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
Sounds ike an awesome bike.

Now where are the pics ???????
Lynchy

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 03:22:09 AM »
I've never had anything quite as nice as some of the rides you fellas have, but back in 2006 I built a Kikker Hardknock 250 to cruise around on. Last year when I had to move from DFW to Austin, I sold her to my bother in law though. I'm still kicking myself for that and if I can manage the money for another kit, there will be a new bobber built.