Author Topic: shaving tips  (Read 5300 times)

Offline kuper1869

• Sly Guy in Training
shaving tips
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:58:32 PM »
Hey guys-
    I am a new member I been using an electric trimmer on my head for a year or so. I am going to shave it for the first time next week waiting for my headblade to come in. When shaving how do you do the sides? How can I get the shiny look on my head and not the pale look? If anyone can give me more tips I will appreciate it.

Thanks kuper

"We are the people our parents warned us about" Jimmy Buffet

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: shaving tips
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
Hey guys-
    I am a new member I been using an electric trimmer on my head for a year or so. I am going to shave it for the first time next week waiting for my headblade to come in. When shaving how do you do the sides? How can I get the shiny look on my head and not the pale look? If anyone can give me more tips I will appreciate it.

Thanks kuper

Welcome, kuper....glad to have you!!

As far as the sides....most of the guys around here who use the HeadBlade, do the sides and behind the ears with either a Mach 3 or Fusion (or some other conventional razor).

Me?... I think the HeadBlade is an awesome idea...but just using the Fusion has worked excellent for me.

For the shiny look, you just need the closest possible shave...which entails shaving against the grain...and making sure you got all the "rough" spots.

The pale shadow is a whole 'nother thang....

all of us deal with it from one degree to another.  There are self-tanning lotions out there...but ya have to be careful ya don't over do it (a big pumpkin colored noggin is way worse than the pale shadow).

I'm a rookie shaver myself.  I have tried a couple subtle tanning lotions, but have resolved that it will take patience and just genuine exposure to the elements (particularly THE SUN) to get the even skin tone.

I'm sure others will chime in after me who are veterans that can help some more.

Hope that's an ok start
robmeister

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:32:15 PM »
First off, let me start by saying WELCOME to Sly Bald Guys, there are alot of great people hear to offer advise and support, don't be afraid to ask.
 Next I'd like to congradulate you on your choice of razor to do the job, HeadBlade is a great product. As for doing the sides I find that if you put the HeadBlade on your finger like you are going to start from back to front, and place the HeadBlade behind your ear, then carefully follow around the curve of your ear. I also start from the side of my neck and move the HeadBlade in an upward direction. Careful not to slide the blade sideways as this can result in cutting yourself. You really just have to develop your own technique, this will come with time, just don't rush the job.
As for getting the shiney look, might I recomend the Head Lube " Glossy " also from HeadBlade. A tip for this stuff is to not use too much, a little goes a long way.
I hope this helps, and once again WELCOME!! And don't forget to post some pictures of before and after if you wish.
                                                                                                                                                                       Tom.

AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »
First off, let me start by saying WELCOME to Sly Bald Guys, there are alot of great people hear to offer advise and support, don't be afraid to ask.
 Next I'd like to congradulate you on your choice of razor to do the job, HeadBlade is a great product. As for doing the sides I find that if you put the HeadBlade on your finger like you are going to start from back to front, and place the HeadBlade behind your ear, then carefully follow around the curve of your ear. I also start from the side of my neck and move the HeadBlade in an upward direction. Careful not to slide the blade sideways as this can result in cutting yourself. You really just have to develop your own technique, this will come with time, just don't rush the job.
As for getting the shiney look, might I recomend the Head Lube " Glossy " also from HeadBlade. A tip for this stuff is to not use too much, a little goes a long way.
I hope this helps, and once again WELCOME!! And don't forget to post some pictures of before and after if you wish.
                                                                                                                                                                       Tom.

I do the same thing that Tom does.  Then I follow up with the 6th blade on my fusion and go upwards just above the ears to get what I couldn't with the HeadBlade.

Slap on one of the lotions that we've reviewed and you'll be set!

By the way, the 1869 in your name wouldn't happed to reference a fraternity, would it?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 08:42:32 AM »
welcome. hope you enjoy. as for tips, these huys have said what i would tell you . so just figure out what works for you to keep it sly.       PAUL

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »
Welcome kuper. If you have any other questions you may be able to find them using the search feature or if you can't find it, just ask.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline medicineman

• Head shaver/Beard grower
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:25:23 PM »
One of the reasons I stopped using HeadBlade was because I found it silly to have to use two razors to get my head smooth.  A Fusion does the job well.

As far as your head getting color, spending some time in the sun will do the trick.  Be patient though and don't overdo it.  I know some guys who have used various sunless tanners to various degrees of success to.

For shine.  Here is what I do, after my shave rinse your head with cold water, as cold as you can stand it.  This helps to close your pores that you opened when you shaved.  Next I will apply some Witch Hazel or scented aftershave to further close the pores.  This alone provides an excellent shine.  If you want to shine further though, use some HeadBlade's HeadLube Glossy, and as it was already said, a little goes a long way.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Offline kuper1869

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »
Guys-
    Thanks for all the helpful information. I just shaved my hair last night and it went very well. The wife is taking a little time to get used to it. Howie Mandel was on good morning america talking about how he gets his head so shiney. He uses a car buffer with his hand. I look forward to more great info from you guys.h
"We are the people our parents warned us about" Jimmy Buffet