Author Topic: Scalp Acne/Folliculitis  (Read 23063 times)

Offline GnomeansGno

• Sly Guy in Training
Scalp Acne/Folliculitis
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:26:20 AM »
Hi everyone, new to this forum.  Have been lurking for sometime now.  I've been a head-shaver off and on for about two years now.  Recently in December of 2009 I shaved my head after not shaving for 2 months, and found that I had acne all over my head.  This had never happened before, and I was depressed as hell.  After waiting some time thinking it would hopefully go away, and seeing it never did, I finally went to a dermatologist and got diagnosed with Scalp Folliculitis.  He gave me samples of Evoclin Foam, but the cans didn't work.  I then went back and got more, but yet only one can worked (none of the other's worked).  So I tried that one can that worked, and it helped a little, but I decided to go back and ask for a prescription.  He gave me one a little over two weeks ago, and told me to use it twice aday.  I've been doing that for the most part since then (sometimes I admittedly missed a dosage), while also using T-GEL Shampoo almost daily.  The problem has gone down slightly, but it's still extremely noticeable, and it's embarassing to go outside with (I usually wear a hat, though I shouldn't, but It's really embarassing looking in my opinion).  My question is for those who have had this kind of problem before, what did you do, and did it ever go away?  Also, has anyone ever used Evoclin Foam before?  And if so, did it help with the scalp acne?  My derm told me to come back in a month if things didn't improve.  Anyone who can help me with this problem, I'd appreciate it.  I miss my smooth acne free head  :'(

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Scalp Acne/Folliculitis
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
Welcome to the Forum GNO! I can't help you with this but I'm betting help will arrive shortly. Check back.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:30:41 AM »
Yes, I've used the Evoclin foam and found that it didn't help much at all.  Try switching to a hypoallergenic shaving gel like Aveeno  -- or try an electric razor instead of a blade.  I started using a Conair Clean Head on top of my head where the hair is sparse anyway (I still use a blade on the sides and back) and it has helped tremendously.   I've gotten a couple of minor breakouts which seem to happen when the weather is really cold, but it usually clears up within a day, as opposed to weeks in the past. 

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »
Speaking of cold Razor, my mother is actually allergic to cold. Gives her hives, pimple looking hives. She takes Zyrtec to keep it at bay. Maybe you're allergic to cold?
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:11:26 AM »
I don't know; I never heard of that before.

Offline GnomeansGno

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
Yes, I've used the Evoclin foam and found that it didn't help much at all.  Try switching to a hypoallergenic shaving gel like Aveeno  -- or try an electric razor instead of a blade.  I started using a Conair Clean Head on top of my head where the hair is sparse anyway (I still use a blade on the sides and back) and it has helped tremendously.   I've gotten a couple of minor breakouts which seem to happen when the weather is really cold, but it usually clears up within a day, as opposed to weeks in the past.  

Thanks for the advice on Aveeno, I'm going to try that.  As for the electric razor, I have one (not the same brand), but since I have a full head of hair, it wouldn't shave me bald.  Do you think a razor blade can be causing this problem though?  I know some people get razor bumps (I got a few in the past), but these are actual pimples on my head (small, but filled with puss).  I thought maybe they we're caused by sweat since I go (or used to go) to the gym a lot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:17:49 PM by GnomeansGno »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:22:18 PM »

Thanks for the advice on Aveeno, I'm going to try that.  As for the electric razor, I have one (not the same brand), but since I have a full head of hair, it wouldn't shave me bald.  Do you think a razor blade can be causing this problem though?  I know some people get razor bumps (I got a few in the past), but these are actual pimples on my head (small, but filled with puss).  I thought maybe they we're caused by sweat since I go (or used to go) to the gym a lot.

Sounds like the same kind of bumps I get.  Perspiration does aggravate it, but is not the cause -- for me, anyway, because I was still getting them when I wasn't perspiring.  Not using a blade on the top of my head has made the problem about 90% better.  If you keep up with it every day, you can get nearly as smooth with an electric razor as you can with a blade.  It's not quite as smooth or quite as long lasting, but it's better than having all those bumps, so it's a compromise I've learned to live with.

Offline GnomeansGno

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:30:59 PM »
Sounds like the same kind of bumps I get.  Perspiration does aggravate it, but is not the cause -- for me, anyway, because I was still getting them when I wasn't perspiring.  Not using a blade on the top of my head has made the problem about 90% better.  If you keep up with it every day, you can get nearly as smooth with an electric razor as you can with a blade.  It's not quite as smooth or quite as long lasting, but it's better than having all those bumps, so it's a compromise I've learned to live with.

Honestly, I'm willing to try anything to get rid of these pimples, so I'll give the electric razor a shot.  The brand you currently use does sound better than the one I have (Wahl), so maybe I'll purchase that.  Do they sell it in stores, or do I have to buy it online?

As to what may have caused it for me, not even my derm was sure.  He said it could of been a lot of things from sweat, to a bad diet, etc.  For all I know it could have been razor blades, but I used them for years without this problem, so it seems strange to me that they would suddenly cause me pimples now.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »

Honestly, I'm willing to try anything to get rid of these pimples, so I'll give the electric razor a shot.  The brand you currently use does sound better than the one I have (Wahl), so maybe I'll purchase that.  Do they sell it in stores, or do I have to buy it online?

They sell it in stores, though I got mine online.

As to what may have caused it for me, not even my derm was sure.  He said it could of been a lot of things from sweat, to a bad diet, etc.  For all I know it could have been razor blades, but I used them for years without this problem, so it seems strange to me that they would suddenly cause me pimples now.

Same here.  5 1/2 years with no problems and then it just erupted all of a sudden.  The dermatologist will automatically blame it on the razor blade, though I strenuously disagree because I also get the bumps on my forehead where there has never been any hair, and which the razor never touched.

Offline Dom_NY

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »
I recommend you ask your dermatologist for a prescription for an antibiotic called Doryx.  Its an expensive brand version of Doxycycline which is far more effective for this type of thing than any other.  If you stick with it, and take a dose of about 200 mgs per day, you should see positive results within about two months.  Wash your skin with Witch Hazel frequently throughout the day.  If you do decide to try the Doryx, be careful not to get too much sun because the drug causes phtosensitivity.  Good Luck.   

Offline hream

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »
I don't know if what I had was the exact same as you, but I resolved mine with Nizoral Shampoo

I had tried different bump products (HeadClear, Bump Stoppers II) and various anti-acne face washes.  I tried washing my hairline at different times with super-gentle soap during shaving, immediately after rinsing in case it was a reaction to my shaving product (HeadSlick).  I used anti-acne creams and lotions, both strong and gentle.  I stopped using other products (HeadWash, HeadShed) in case they were causing the problem.  Nothing helped, not even a bit.

Then one day, I saw my bottle of Nizoral that I purchased back when I was first losing my hair (because it was supposed to help clear follicles, etc).  Gave it a try one night and by the morning, my issue was almost completely gone!  Just 8 hours later!  It's been a few weeks and my hairline is clear as the rest of my head.  I now use the Nizoral once every few days ... it was a complete godsend for me.  Hope this helps someone who is currently in the same desperation-mode as I found myself in.

Offline GnomeansGno

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »
I recommend you ask your dermatologist for a prescription for an antibiotic called Doryx.  Its an expensive brand version of Doxycycline which is far more effective for this type of thing than any other.  If you stick with it, and take a dose of about 200 mgs per day, you should see positive results within about two months.  Wash your skin with Witch Hazel frequently throughout the day.  If you do decide to try the Doryx, be careful not to get too much sun because the drug causes phtosensitivity.  Good Luck.    

Damn! I wish I would have read this post before going back to the dermatologist.  Let me say that the condition has improved, though it's not completely gone.  I've been getting some good shaves without cutting myself at all, but there's still some on the back of my head.  I did some research on Evoclin Foam, and I read on various websites that it takes 6 weeks to see an improvement, and 8-12 weeks for it to fully work.  Well it's been about six weeks for me, and I DID see an improvement.  Hopefully in the next few weeks it will all be gone.