Author Topic: Alternatives to shaving???  (Read 19242 times)

Pshrynk

Re: Alternatives to shaving???
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 08:53:44 PM »
Thats like the Wahl Balding Clippers #00000

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »
Sign me up once the magic potion is perfected!

ME too!  Honestly, I think it's been brought up before on here that Nair for Men isn't supposed to be used on the scalp.  Short of laser removal or tweezing (didn't someone talk about that at one time or have I totally lost it?) there isn't really a safe alternative... yet!

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 01:41:24 AM »
a no go alternativ

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »
Hey guys

Any advice on what would be the best head clippers for the closest shave possible.  As I am getting skin irritations with the razor treatment, I need a change!

Cheers.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 03:49:13 AM »
There are several here on the forum that use electric razors for our headshaves, but just any old razor isn't going to cut it (pardon the pun)  If you have a lot of hair like I do using a wet or dry electic razor in the shower is essential for irritation-free head shaving.  I start off by prepping with nice hot water and the St. Ives Scrub.  Not sure if this is available in Ireland, but a good exfoliating scrub of any brand should do.  Another hot water rinse, apply a good shave oil then start shaving.  I use the Panasonic Linear Wet/Dry razor.  Finish up with a cold water rinse then apply an astringent like witch hazel, or whatever.  Check the video at http://www.allaboutshaving.com/  I find this dude's shaving routine works well for me.  Insofar as irritation goes I find that pre-prep and follow-up products pretty much keeps the bumps under control.  Some of the guys here swear by cold Aloe Vera lotions after the shave.  Nice abs, by the way.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 03:35:36 AM »
Thanks for info SR!

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 03:16:41 AM »
Hi guys

Regarding the Panasonic Linear Wet/Dry razor, I assume there are no problems with usage outside the US.  If not, then it would be a good buy!

Cheers

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »
I checked my Panasonic charging unit.  It is compatible with European voltages.  I'm sure they make a Euro version that will plug into your style voltage outlets.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/292242/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html

Cheers,

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 04:40:00 AM »
Appreciate information Red!

Cheers

Offline RPC418

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 09:53:10 PM »
Hey All -

I have looked near and far for alternatives, but have not found anything.  It can be waxed, but we have to let the hair grow about 1 to 2 "  .  NO THANKS.  Memories of the 40 Year old virgin spring to mind!

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 02:41:41 AM »
Man that video was great. I haven't used an electric razor is a long time. That looked super easy though. I think I'll pick up one of those Panasonic Vortex shavers
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 08:32:25 AM »
Hey Kojak,

Though I'm a user of the Panasonic Linear I have to tell you that it's not quite as easy as the video makes it look.  There is a sensitivity curve for using an electric with the kind of power the Panasonic has.  Be sure to use it wet with shaving oil to minimize irritation.  There are numerous threads that outline the routine.  Also, the shaver needs to be cleaned up very well afterwards.

Happy shaving.

Red

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »
Is there any particular oil that works the best? I was looking at American Crew oil. I've used their products in the past and have always liked them. I'll probably get the shaver somtime this coming week so I'll need to pick up some oil soon. My head was definately sensitive Friday so I'll want to do everything I can to prevent that.
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
I've never used American Crew Shaving Oil.  My favorite for head shaving is Anthony Logistics Pre-Shave Oil.

Happy Head Shaving,

Red

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
Sign me up once the magic potion is perfected!

I'm in line right behind you ANDRE! Sign me up! O0
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.