Author Topic: Any way to straighten beard hair?  (Read 81486 times)

Offline TNBaldRay

• Sly Guy in Training
Any way to straighten beard hair?
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »
My goatee is pretty curly and gets unruly as it gets longer. Anyone know of a way to straighten beard hair?

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Any way to straighten beard hair?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
It seems to me that there's got to be a way.  My mom was a hairdresser and I (vaguely) remember her explaining how a perm works.  It's a two step process where the first step removes whatever it is that gives the hair its existing wave and then the second step "locks" in the hair's current position as its new wave.  So you put them in those curlers and then the new wave becomes the curler.  It seems to me the process ought to work the same if you do something where the hair is kept straight instead of curled when the second step is performed.  And then I might be mis-remembering this altogether.

One of the reasons I don't grow a long goatee is that beard hair often looks ratty when it gets some length.  The other reason is I don't have enough hairs for it to look decent.  I let it grow to about 2.5" one time and it just looked sad.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I'd love to do a Santa beard in the winter, but once it gets out to a certain length it just starts doing weird Castro things.

Not pleasing.

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
My beard used to get very curly, but someone told me (a long time ago) to condition it and use some of those "leave-in" conditioners and to also brush it all the time. I did that for a long time and it seems to have worked. Either that, or my beard hair changed on its own over the years. But now it doesn't curl anymore.
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
My beard gets really curly.  So much so that when I had one in college, I was able to twist sections of it into mini dreadlocks.  I would never keep it that way.  But I would love to grow a ZZ Top type of beard if I wasn't working in a retail setting.

Offline TNBaldRay

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm trying to grow minea little longer to compliment the newly shaved head. I tend to get the Castro thing going also when it gets longer. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »
I have a very curly beard as well and it is impossible to straighten it, not that I would ever want to.

Curly beards look fine as long as they are maintained and well combed.

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
My daugter has a straightening iron she uses on her hair but might work on really long beards.  They sell straightening shampoo but not sure if it works on beards.

Offline Manta Ray

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »
I have the same issue with my goatee. I like it long but it starts curling so I've trimmed it some. Sections of my beard used to curl when it got long and I didn't like that but I lived with it.

jrppsuobx

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 02:05:44 PM »
Just tried letting my goatee grow longer and it started to curl!! I tried conditioner, it helped for the day. Woke up the next day curly and unruly so I trimmed it back. I like my goatee so I will heave to keep it trim.
Your Goatee looks great on you .

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
Hey guys, it looks like there is a product coming out to help keep beard hair straight.  http://signup.straightbeard.com
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
My goatee gets out of control. I dampen it and simply blow dry on high using a brush. I finish with a tiny bit of pomade.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
My goatee gets out of control. I dampen it and simply blow dry on high using a brush. I finish with a tiny bit of pomade.

Wow, Reddog!  I thought your was just naturally straight.  It is one of the straightest I've seen. O0 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
I wish Slymyke! It's pretty gnarly after a shower. Pretty funny, after I went sly, I was in the bathroom blow drying the goatee, and the S/O says "what the heck are you blow drying?". I told her "my face". She got a kick out of that. I also like to get the bottom to curl forward a little.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 06:05:24 PM »
Reddog, you've got one of the best maintained goatees I've ever seen. I should have known there was some work involved in getting it to look that way.