Author Topic: Shaving against the grain - beginner  (Read 4879 times)

Offline lukas1135

• Learning the way of Sly
Shaving against the grain - beginner
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
Hello , im new to shaving head started on 25th august. I was shaving daily with the grain but i didnt like the sand-paper feel when i rubbed my hand over the head. Yesterday i shaved my head against the grain, went pretty good no cuts or razor bumps , loved the smooth head feeling so today i decided to shave against the grain again but it didnt go as well as yesterday. I got one little cut and few little razor bumps. Is it too early for shaving my head daily or is my skin just too sensitive for daily shave . Does it get better ? Will my skin get use to it ? Should i let my head heal or can i keep shaving my head everyday? Using gillette fusion proglide razor and proraso white shaving cream and having a shower before shaving my head.

Ps: It was the second shave with that razor cartridge

Offline chuck63

• Sly
Re: Shaving against the grain - beginner
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »
I'm a beginner myself.  I have some receding and thinning hair, but I like the feeling of being bald.   I shaved mine again on Sept 2nd and this is my third try at it.  The last time, I kept it up for a couple of weeks before I let it grow back.  I've always shaved against the grain because it gives me a closer, smoother shave.  I've had a minor nick or two and a few bumps.  I use cortisone cream to clear them up. 

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »
For some guys, it takes more for the skin to adjust to an "against the grain" shave.    Give your scalp a few days to recover by saving with the grain, and then try again.  If you skin is too sensitive, an ATG shave may not work out for you.
SlyBeard

Offline Ramathorn

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »
 I have been sly for 13 months now, and have found that the older the cartridge, the greater chance of skin irritation. I only try for 5 or 6 shaves before replacing the cart. The duller it gets, the more passes and more pressure required to get a baby butt smooth shave.
 I am also sure if you take your time, you can avoid cuts, nicks, and weepers.
 I also use an alum block and or witch hazel immediately after shaving. They have helped me reduce the chance of razor bumps and irritation. Give it some time and your technique will improve. Keep on being sly.  O0

As a side note, I have found the fusion cartridges very expensive and have switched to safety razors for most days. I still use my Fusion on days when I don't have the time for a DE shave.

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
It took about a month of shaving before my head got conditioned for atg shaving. I used Bump Patrol for awhile for the irritation.

I like the DE safety razor too. It takes more time because you have to be careful and concentrate, but I can make multiple passes atg now without irritation. It's just satisfying to lather up your head with a brush and shaving soap and shave it with my 1954 Gillette safety razor.

BTW, Ramathorn, you have an outstanding looking bald head!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline lukas1135

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:25:42 AM »
If you shave everyday, do you skip shaving wtg?

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »
Yes, I just go atg.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 10:23:38 AM »
I tend to do a pass both with and against the grain, also, since im bbc with hairs that grow all directions on top, ill also sometimes, when i want extra smooth shave, do a pass each way from side to side. Been at it for almost 2 years now, and still get the occasional nick or irritation, but theyre fewer and further between than they used to be. 
Bald by chioce, never going back