Author Topic: Still want an earring  (Read 25843 times)

Offline BaldWriter

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Still want an earring
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 06:30:23 AM »
Looks great!

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 10:56:47 AM »
Question for you guys with the big ones:  Does it fee like someone is constantly tugging at you ear?

My rings are thick, I usually wear 5 or 6 mm rings, but can't feel any tugging.
I guess it depends mostly on the material the rings are made of: titanium is much lighter than steel.

Like said by Mrzed  I can feel them if I turn my head quickly, but not otherwise

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 07:47:55 AM »
Question for you guys with the big ones:  Does it fee like someone is constantly tugging at you ear?

My rings are thick, I usually wear 5 or 6 mm rings, but can't feel any tugging.
I guess it depends mostly on the material the rings are made of: titanium is much lighter than steel.

Like said by Mrzed  I can feel them if I turn my head quickly, but not otherwise

This is interesting, I've been working my way up from 16 g a couple months ago, just got my 12 g in the other day. For some reason I quite like the feeling of the heavier weight each time I go up in size. You get used to it after a few days though. I wear horseshoe barbells in each ear.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 08:20:48 AM »
I have had resistance from my wife with regards to my earrings.
when I met my wife about 20 years ago I had pierced my left ear but didn't wear anything in it at the time due to religious reasons. so she knew I had a pierced ear but didn't really say anything about it.

This seems to be a common reaction from some people, and when you stop and think about it, it really doesn't make any sense.  An earring is not a religious, anti-religious, political or any other kind of statement.  It's just a piece of jewelry.  It's a matter of personal preference, nothing more, nothing less.  It's amazing that it's still such a polarizing issue with so many people.  There is no Biblical basis that I am aware of that prohibits them.  If I am mistaken, please quote me the chapter and verse.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »

This is interesting, I've been working my way up from 16 g a couple months ago, just got my 12 g in the other day. For some reason I quite like the feeling of the heavier weight each time I go up in size. You get used to it after a few days though. I wear horseshoe barbells in each ear.

Medic, Do you have a photo with your rings in? The lady at the shop where I upgraded to 12 gauge would not seel me the horseshoe barbels. Said I was too old for that style. Instead gave me a CBR. I wore that for about 6 month, until I bought some pliers to assist with setting it in place.

I'm really enjoying the new 10 g. Where do you stop?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
Said I was too old for that style.
That's ridiculous. The bent horseshoe is my favorite style and it's what I wore when I had my piercing. If I were to have it re-pierced, it's the style I'd choose regardless of whether anyone else thought I was "too old" for it or not.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 11:31:31 AM »
Well, that was just her opinion. I REALLY like the CBR. Happy to have it suggested.

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »

Too old??? :*)) :*)) :*))

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »
I used to play music for a living back in the 80's early 90's and had my ear pierced and wore an earring everyday for probably 10 years...at one time I had my right ear pierced as well and got a second pierce in my left ear too.....I stopped wearing anything in the second group of piercings right away as I didn't end up liking the look. If I remember correctly you need to wear the stud in your ear for quite a while after piercing so the hole can heal before you can remove it. That may be a problem for you if you want to have it unseen soon after getting it done. I don't wear any earrings anymore and haven't since I moved out to Las Vegas over 20 years ago but I do have a number of tattoos that at one time caused me some "Issues" as far as working goes since some of them are visible unless I wear long sleeves....that no longer is an issue really since tats are so common place now and even though I live in a city where a lot of strange things fashion wise compared to other places don't really cause any excitement I would imagine that an earring on a man will not really cause anyone any issues at all....except your wife of course. Earrings are not that big of a deal and if she really hates it after you get it all you have to do is remove it and eventually it will heal/hole will shrink and nobody will be the wiser.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:23 PM »
So it seems that the current fashion calls for both ears to be pieced and not just one?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »

Too old??? :*)) :*)) :*))

Hi Rocko:  Welcome back.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 06:24:23 AM »
No, it is not the new standard, I had them both pierced because I was a band member trying to go with a look. One is probably still the thing for guys.... I am out of touch with what the young crowd does for style since I'm old now. My point is if you want one nobody should have any strange reactions, it's just an earring... Not something shocking anymore. If you really want one you should get one. If you don't like it take it out and it's like it never happened.

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
I have had resistance from my wife with regards to my earrings.
when I met my wife about 20 years ago I had pierced my left ear but didn't wear anything in it at the time due to religious reasons. so she knew I had a pierced ear but didn't really say anything about it.

This seems to be a common reaction from some people, and when you stop and think about it, it really doesn't make any sense.  An earring is not a religious, anti-religious, political or any other kind of statement.  It's just a piece of jewelry.  It's a matter of personal preference, nothing more, nothing less.  It's amazing that it's still such a polarizing issue with so many people.  There is no Biblical basis that I am aware of that prohibits them.  If I am mistaken, please quote me the chapter and verse.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense. The church I was going to 20 years ago was very strict and did not allow men to wear earrings. I am no longer a member of this church and go to another church and I wear my earrings each time I go and no one has said anything (well one comment from an older lady, but that was the exception). I see other guys with earrings as well at church so I don't fell out of place really.

But you're also right. there's nothing biblical that prohibits men wearing earrings. It is just a jewelry choice, like a watch or ring.

My wife has just resigned herself to the fact that I wear earrings, but she doesn't really like them. she doesn't really say anything about them though, she's probably hoping I'll get bored with them and take them out. That's not happening any time soon.

My 14 year old son thinks I'm "cool" (he doesn't have any earrings). His school friend noticed my earrings last week when he was over at our place for dinner. He just asked if I had both ears pierced (my wife said "yesss"). He said they were cool and he said he wanted his ears pierced as well.

That's a great feeling when you can be inspiration for someone else to get their ears pierced. They see that you have the nerve to do it and it emboldens them to get it done themselves.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:22 PM »
So it seems that the current fashion calls for both ears to be pieced and not just one?

Yep, pretty much.  The whole "left ear/right ear" thing was really just a myth sprung out of homophobia. 

These days most men pierce both ears.  But, it is up to you; do what makes you happy.

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 08:23:12 AM »

Yep, pretty much.  The whole "left ear/right ear" thing was really just a myth sprung out of homophobia. 

These days most men pierce both ears.  But, it is up to you; do what makes you happy.

I agree. there's nothing wrong with only piercing one ear if that's what you're comfortable with but it's a little old fashioned. Most guys nowadays get both ears pierced.

Where I work (office/warehouse) there are about 7 guys who wear earrings and all have both ears pierced (including me).

but like what was mentioned, what's important is doing what feels comfortable for you and makes you happy.