Author Topic: Does this still happen to you "long-time Sly Guys"?  (Read 10873 times)

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
Does this still happen to you "long-time Sly Guys"?
« on: October 14, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
At the end of December, I will hit my 4 year sly mark (ok...not always COMPLETELY sly...but never more than a 000, and typically more like a 000000 or slick)....so, at this point...it is how people know me.

However, there are STILL a couple of people I work with (women), and consider friends, who, after all this time, STILL tell me once in a while (happened today, which is why I'm writing this) "You know...you should let your hair grow out again....you'd look a lot better....you still have a decent hairline...at least let it grow a little....

And...though it shouldn't...it really bothers me....

I mean...what if I said to her "You know, if you lost weight, you'd look a lot better....less fat...I mean...you still have a pretty face...just lose SOME weight" how would that go over?  I'm guessing not that well..

Anyway...it still happens from time to time (and I can't fall back on the "They're not good people" line...because both of them actually are decent people, and have helped me out on numerous occasions...

So..does anyone else still deal with this even after a number of years?  And how do you handle it?  (Yes, at time I can be rather thin skinned)

It's just that I made this change....and it's what I look like now......deal with it or keep it to yourself.  Ya know?

Sorry for the rant!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Does this still happen to you "long-time Sly Guys"?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 05:47:59 PM »
When this has happened, not very often, I try to be kind in my responses. The only reason is that I don't want to get the rep of being that guy who always gets confrontational about small matters. At the same time I understand that when people say things like this it is sometimes because they wish to exercise some measure of control over the things in their environment and that they might actually get kind of a rush if I chose to comply. I get the feeling that they do this because their is so much in their own lives that is out of control that they see something that doesn't affect them in any way and it isn't so much a question of whether or not they like what they see as it is that they want to exercise some control over it. If the person they are commenting upon complies with their request they might actually regain a feeling of things being somewhat under control and they get to breathe a small sigh of relief even though the "issue" means nothing and nothing in their own lives has really changed.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »
I like being bald. I'm very comfortable being BBC.  If someone should make that kind of a comment to me, I'm comfortable in responding that I really like the bald look. I love the feel of a smooth head. Yes, I have a full head of hair, but I really like it this way. 

(Secretly, I'm not taking a poll or running an election here. I just like it. It's here to stay.  4 years for me in January)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:36:26 AM by mrzed »

Offline Snowdog

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
I am fairly new to the Sly look, about 4 months now.  My wife continuously says that I had plenty of hair and that I need to grow it back, because someday I will really lose it, and she will have missed all that time with me having hair!  I actually felt like my hair was looking crappy, sparse in the front,  that is why I shaved my head.  I like it better shaved. People say I look younger, and I don't like going a day without shaving it.   Will see in 3 years and 8 months!

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
This just shows that baldness is still looked at as a thing that no one would seek out intentionally, that the default position is to have hair on one's head, and that baldness is inherently less desirable. It's such that no one would even assume that a man would be bald on purpose.

That's why everyone who's seen me lately asks, "WHY?" No one reacted that way when I let my hair grow long. No one reacted that way when I got a trim or parted my hair differently. No one reacted that way when I shaved off part of my beard.

People assume that something must have happened to make me do it, otherwise, who would choose to be bald when they could have hair?!

It's based on the cultural assumption that the loss of one's hair is a tragedy. By simply being bald, however, we are each challenging that assumption by our mere presence. It's all we can do.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »
When this has happened, not very often, I try to be kind in my responses. The only reason is that I don't want to get the rep of being that guy who always gets confrontational about small matters. At the same time I understand that when people say things like this it is sometimes because they wish to exercise some measure of control over the things in their environment and that they might actually get kind of a rush if I chose to comply. I get the feeling that they do this because their is so much in their own lives that is out of control that they see something that doesn't affect them in any way and it isn't so much a question of whether or not they like what they see as it is that they want to exercise some control over it. If the person they are commenting upon complies with their request they might actually regain a feeling of things being somewhat under control and they get to breathe a small sigh of relief even though the "issue" means nothing and nothing in their own lives has really changed.

I agree with you, Buddha. 

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 11:24:28 PM »
I think it is getting worse and worse these days with social conditioning and how it is acceptable to make fun of, mock or what have both shirt and bald/balding men in public...ESP from ladies. It is kind of a bad place to be when you are that guy because now you are a target, if you get defensive then it looks bad on you..you just have joke it off and brush it off your shoulders like it is no thing. Been getting both comments about my height and hair from men and women all my life.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »
This doesn't happen too often. However, when it does, I just laugh it off and say that Mother Nature or genetics makes that less and less of an option with each passing day.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 07:09:27 AM »
This happens to me although no to often.  However when it does I exactly what you said.  People don't realize that what they are asking you to do, they are not will to do themselves.  Case in point, yes a friend of mine always bugs me once in a while why I don't let my hair grown out.  My response is, "why don't you mine your own business and don't you ever ask me that again because I will always be bald".  He replied, "hey man it's not for you to get upset".  So I explained, this is me and not you.  If you love hair on your head good, but I don't and it's my head and if I want to shave it bald I will and it's no one business what I do.

You have to make it clear to people that you are bald because it is how you like it for what ever reason.  They should already understand that if someone is bald it is because it is how it is.   

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
I canot recall this happening to me anytime after my first year or so.  For some reason society has decided that comments on a man's choice of hairstyle is acceptable, while the same comments toward women are completely unacceptable.
SlyBeard

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
I've not had this for my lack of hair, but have had similar comments about my beard, I wouldn't dream of commenting negatively about someone's appearance, but have had this happen to me.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »
I've been shaved for over 11 years and apart from the first few weeks when some people were surprised that I had shaved my head - but no really negative comments - it has been a non event.  It is now ME.
I still like to sometimes acknowledge another shaved head, especially with a beard or goatee, and this has often lead to a conversation about the  joy of a shaved head.  Very liberating.
Roger

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »
 Yes I still good that was in a while also and while I agree with Buddha as a good way to handle it it really pisses me off.   It's always for women why is it that women get off thinking they can tell man how he should look -  but if you said anything like that to one of them you would be castigated.

I think I figured out that  that women feel threatened by extremely masculine males  and would like to exercise some sort of Emasculating control over them.

The guy with the baldhead especially a guy who's BBC is really threatening to some women.   I mean my god he's done something without their approval!

On the other hand women who are secure their own sexuality and really appreciate a feral male who is also comfortable with his sexuality are truly turn on by a guy with a shaved head,

Offline bbc2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
Although I am bbc for 3 years now this happens sometimes. But it becomes less. I don't pay much attention to these questions like "Why do you shave your head although you could have a full head of hair..." I think that is the normal reaction if you don't look mainstream. Last summer I had a bushy full beard. Suddenly people forgot my shaved head. The beard was much more interesting... ;)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 11:46:59 PM »
You might be interested in this post and thread of mine from the past.  This is a story about manipulation and religion to grow my hair back.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=12795.0

I should say, I no longer get comments about growing my hair back.  I also have grown my hair back in the past, and my stepmom, who did not like the shaved head, sees how bald I naturally I am.  So she now understands why I keep it shaved now!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:32:25 AM by marshd1000 »

Enter your email address: