Author Topic: Beard Balm  (Read 13877 times)

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: Beard Balm
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 12:46:39 AM »
My recommendation on beard balm is to make your own. It's the furthest thing from rocket science a DIY project can be,  and if you screw up it means you made it to hard or to soft so you just melt it back down and adjust.  Commercially available stuff is very expensive and if you detest scents then your pickings are slim because most manufacturers believe you want a persistent odor of pine trees or vanilla around you.  Most are packaged in such a way they seem more like impulse purchase gifts for your beardless friends to buy for you at Christmas time than something you'd buy over and over on a regular basis for yourself.

I agree! make your own is really easy and so much cheaper, I make both but generally I prefer to use oil (ones that absorb more) so I get no oily residue. balm more for those days where it just won't sit right
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Hagrid

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 04:10:53 AM »
Have you ever used Gillette cosmetics? I had a lot of problems with shaving and my brother recommended me Gillette shaving cream,mach 3 razors from https://www.gillette.co.in/en-in/products/razor-blades/mach3-razors and aftershave splash and it is the best solution so far to me!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 11:44:57 PM »
Hi Doc- yeah. I get bored. I shaved it off but kept a goatee. Right now I'm off for the summer so I don't shave too frequently and revel being a little sloppy. The beard comes back in the fall. Half the fun for me is growing it!

Photos - or it didn't happen!

Here you go Randy.  Off for the summer and scruffy.

Oh Mike - that looks great.  It is so good to see your face for a change.

Someone "accused" me of hating beards.  While I don't "hate" beards; is dislike about 90% of the ones I see.

1.  Very, very, very, few men take care of their beards.  They only grow them because the are lazy.
2.  Very, very, very few men know how to trim a beard!  Longer is almost never better!  LONG BEARDS ONLY LOOK GOOD ON MEN WHO HAVE LOG FACES AND LOTS OF HAIR ON THE TOP OF THEIR HEAD TO BALANCE OUT THE LINEAR LINE.

Thicker is only b better if the thickness of the beard doesn't make you look like you have a fat face!

3.  A beard covers some of a man's best features.  Back in the old days when many men had bad teeth and, as a result, had crooked or receding jawlines, a beard could hide these deformities.  But today with the dental hygiene we have, why hide your jawline unless you have a weak chin????

4.  I especially dislike  beards on bald men - because it is like a neon sign shouting; "I am trying to compensate for the lack of hair on my head".  Beards on bald men are kind of like middle aged guys who drive Corvettes (they look like they are trying to make up for something that they lack).   And BALD GUYS ARE THE WORST AT CUTTING THEIR BEARDS ITO A SHAPE WHICH MAKE THEIR OVERALL FACIAL SHAPE LOOK GOOD.

A bald man is beautiful.  Without hair on his head his facial features really stand out out - SO WHY HIDE THEM?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »

Someone "accused" me of hating beards.  While I don't "hate" beards; is dislike about 90% of the ones I see.

1.  Very, very, very, few men take care of their beards.  They only grow them because the are lazy.
2.  Very, very, very few men know how to trim a beard!  Longer is almost never better!  LONG BEARDS ONLY LOOK GOOD ON MEN WHO HAVE LOG FACES AND LOTS OF HAIR ON THE TOP OF THEIR HEAD TO BALANCE OUT THE LINEAR LINE.

Thicker is only b better if the thickness of the beard doesn't make you look like you have a fat face!

3.  A beard covers some of a man's best features.  Back in the old days when many men had bad teeth and, as a result, had crooked or receding jawlines, a beard could hide these deformities.  But today with the dental hygiene we have, why hide your jawline unless you have a weak chin????

4.  I especially dislike  beards on bald men - because it is like a neon sign shouting; "I am trying to compensate for the lack of hair on my head".  Beards on bald men are kind of like middle aged guys who drive Corvettes (they look like they are trying to make up for something that they lack).   And BALD GUYS ARE THE WORST AT CUTTING THEIR BEARDS ITO A SHAPE WHICH MAKE THEIR OVERALL FACIAL SHAPE LOOK GOOD.

A bald man is beautiful.  Without hair on his head his facial features really stand out out - SO WHY HIDE THEM?

While “hate” may  be overstating the case (a little bit), your comments here and in other threads show that you are sufficiently biased against them so that your opinion - to which you are absolutely entitled - is one that many of us have come to completely disregard in this matter. 

To say that most men grow beards because they are lazy, is one of the most offensive comments I’ve read here in a very long time.  I’ve got shocking news for you — some of us (most I suspect) have beards because we like the way they look.  Some of us like them long, some short.  Some may even actually like that scruff you’re wearing in your profile pic (is that your idea of how it “should” be done? )

When your biases prevent you from offering constructive advice, it really is time to keep such opinions to yourself.  Lighten up, dude!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:43:20 AM by Razor X »

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »
"When your biases prevent you from offering constructive advice, it really is time to keep such opinions to yourself.  Lighten up, dude!"

Methinks thou dost protest too loudly!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 07:58:49 AM »
Seriously? That’s your argument?

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »
"When your biases prevent you from offering constructive advice, it really is time to keep such opinions to yourself.  Lighten up, dude!"

Methinks thou dost protest too loudly!

“ Your” opinion about why men wear beards is just a little misguided. I think any of us who grow a beard would be a little insulted by your remarks. Simply we like the look even if others would rather we shaved.  Your in titled to your opinion but not by degrading others.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."