Author Topic: Beard Balm  (Read 13881 times)

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Beard Balm
« on: July 18, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
I was in a barber supply store in my city to get beard oil, when the saleswoman showed me this stuff called beard balm. It is a very soft cream wax that you rub just a little into the beard and mustache before combing everything into place. It does not give the hard look of the usual mustache waxes or the greasy sheen of hair gels. Since I have been letting my goat and mustache grow out, giving me a rather bushy look that is not the best thing for my profession, this stuff has been a great discovery for me.

The store had several brands, but I chose the Clubman since I knew the company's reputation. It cost about $9.00 and probably will last a few months. I have been using it all this week, and it has done a great job of keeping the goat and mustache under control.

"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Beard Balm
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:55:40 PM »
I don't have my beard right now, but this winter I used Honest Amish beard balm and it was terrific. It really helped my beard behave.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline claydontoby92

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »
I use a beard moisturiser from a shop in the UK called Murdock London, I wouldn't start my day without it now!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »
I'll have to look into some beard balm. Right now I use a combination of two different hair wax and pomade to keep my beard in place. It does a good job without making it hard.

Mike, no beard? Shaved for the summer?
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
Hi Doc- yeah. I get bored. I shaved it off but kept a goatee. Right now I'm off for the summer so I don't shave too frequently and revel being a little sloppy. The beard comes back in the fall. Half the fun for me is growing it!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »
Hi Doc- yeah. I get bored. I shaved it off but kept a goatee. Right now I'm off for the summer so I don't shave too frequently and revel being a little sloppy. The beard comes back in the fall. Half the fun for me is growing it!

Photos - or it didn't happen!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »

Photos - or it didn't happen!

Here you go Randy.  Off for the summer and scruffy.

Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:05:05 PM »
Just came out of the water at our community pool.
All the balm washed out in the water.
Someone just asked me if my beard had grown two inches.
This stuff works well.

And Mike. Enjoy the summer scruff!
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »
Summer scruff looks good. That's a good look for you Mike.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
Can you post some pics of your beard with and without the balm?  I'm toying with the idea of letting mine get a little longer.  Having something to keep it under control may make it easier for me to persevere through the growing stage.

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
I decided to give beard balm a try.  I had been trimming my goatee up until a month ago but decided to let it grow out a bit to see what would happen.  I really like the look but my goatee started to take on a scruffy appearance.  I ordered some beard balm off eBay and I'm very pleased with the results.  It looks more controlled but not too controlled.  In other words, it doesn't appear too neat which is exactly the look I was going for.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »
Would you say the balm is better than the oil? Or are they both used for different things? Cheers

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »
Would you say the balm is better than the oil? Or are they both used for different things? Cheers

Balm is a waxy-like substance that you rub into and comb through your beard to condition and make it more manageable.  I don't use beard oil.  When I tried it, it built up a residue in my beard and stained my clothing.  I didn't like it.

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »

I don't use the oil but the beard balm works like a charm.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:13:52 AM »
My recommendation on beard balm is to make your own. It's the furthest thing from rocket science a DIY project can be,  and if you screw up it means you made it to hard or to soft so you just melt it back down and adjust.  Commercially available stuff is very expensive and if you detest scents then your pickings are slim because most manufacturers believe you want a persistent odor of pine trees or vanilla around you.  Most are packaged in such a way they seem more like impulse purchase gifts for your beardless friends to buy for you at Christmas time than something you'd buy over and over on a regular basis for yourself.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Enter your email address: