Author Topic: Shaving Your Mustache  (Read 5784 times)

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
Shaving Your Mustache
« on: December 22, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
Just wanted to ask what technique you guys use for shaving a mustache? I like to use a razor, I like the close slick feeling I get from a razor much better then just trimming it.. BUT, that "close, slick" feeling usually doesn't happen with just shaving it downward.. I have shaven it upwards in the past, which works and gives me the slick no stubble feeling, but it usually comes with a price that is plenty of little nicks.. When shaving a stache, are you supposed to just shave downward and be happy with the result, and never ever shave upward? Sometimes, going a bit sideways against the grain will help, but I normally do end up with nicks no matter how careful I am. The skin right there seems so different. When I say upwards, I only mean after the 1st pass going down, with the grain. I just hate feeling right there afterward and feeling all that stubble which is back the next day if I don't get it closer.

I usually use the same razor I just used on my head by the way.. Maybe it's possible it is dull by then but I wouldn't think so. Maybe the cartridge razors with like 3 or 5 blades aren't the best to use in that area...? I swear i'm thinking more and more everyday it's about time to invest in a safety razor. Would be so much easier to see what i'm doing in certain areas and know where i'm cutting. Maybe those would be sharper, and give me a closer shave in those areas without having to go against the grain?

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
Re: Shaving Your Mustache
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »
I personally like a bit of stubble or shadow on my mustache area when I used to just have the goatee with no mustache. Therefore, I used a beard trimmer without the head to shave it as close as possible while still maintaining some stubble.

However, when I have shaved it smooth in the past, I typically shaved down first with the grain, and then upward against the grain.  Again not too much pressure, and letting the blades do the work.  Keep in mind if you have a fully grown mustache that you are shaving off, you'll want to use the trimmer first and trim it down as far as you can before using the razor.

I've been using the Fusion ProGlide for years, so that means on my face before I started using it on my head, and have never had any major problems.  Perhaps you're applying too much pressure and thus are getting the nicks because of it.  Also, I use a separate razor for my head than I do for my face.  Never the same.  More surface area on the head, means a duller blade quicker.  At least that's how I feel. 

I have a little bit of OCD when it comes to certain things and using two different razors for my head and my face is one of them.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »
Shave? Mustache? These are two words that never go together!  :o

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »

Exactly what I was just about to say! 

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »

Exactly!
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline mike609

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »
You might try a J- hook. It's a short shave stroke right to left but hold one corner of the blade almost in place and pivot the other corner in a semi circle. A bit like Like a car wiper.  It's an advanced technique like buffing. If you are holding your mouth loose you might also try s cross grain or XTG pass by pulling your mouth flat across your teeth and making a horizontal pass. 

Above all those charts are for reference. There are no rules and its your shave. If your not getting the results you want try and experiment.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »
Good sentiment SlyBear.  However I assume the topic is really 'trimming your mustache" which is fine.
Roger

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Thanks for the advice Doc & Mike. Yes, with the goatee, I like to keep the mustache clean shaven. I'm not a big mustache person myself anyway, but especially not with the goatee I like to keep. Maybe I am applying too much pressure when going up. I try to be careful but sometimes your mind wonders and maybe I just don't notice it. Until it's bleeding of course LOL. I too think I need to start using a different blade when I get to my face. Maybe the blade getting so dull is part of the reason... I shave my head 1st, everytime, and lately I have been waiting around 4 days in between shaves so my hair gets fairly thick up top..  Which could be making the razor dull by the time I get to my face. I need to get back to my everyday or every other day routine. That worked much better and the head shave went alot faster.

Mike, are you talking about shaving sideways, instead of up and down? That does seem to work better then shaving upwards for me, as far as nicks go, if I don't overdo it. It doesn't get it completely smooth like going upwards does, but it doesn't seem to nick as bad. Boy you have to watch shaving near your lip though.. I made that mistake already and nicked the lip... WOW it just would not stop bleeding. Usually a wet piece of toilet paper will clog it up quickly but every piece I applied soaked through with blood lol. It finally stopped, and somehow it started back AGAIN the next day at work... I didn't know it was bleeding at work until someone told me... Talk about embarrassing haha.

Enter your email address: