Author Topic: Refused by the VFW  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Refused by the VFW
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
I had applied for membership carefully noting that I'd served as an ally of the United States but from another country. (South Africa). I received a rather snippy letter telling me only American Veterans were eligible. I cannot find where it says that to join you have to be an American Vet, certainly I'm now a citizen of the United States and during the Viet Nam war served with American troops. It looked like war and was certainly foreign to all of us. I can probably see why they'd draw the line but with declining membership I would have thought they'd have welcomed me. Anybody have an opinion or a comment about this?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Refused by the VFW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 04:05:43 AM »
That's shocking...As far as I know, as long as you were a citizen during your service, I don't see why they wouldn't accept you. I will ask my local VFW if there is a rule saying that you must be a natural born citizen (not naturalized) to be accepted. The only rule I know where you must be born an American citizen to be eligible is to run for President or Vice President but that's about it.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:54:15 AM »
They may be correct (but not morally justified) in refusing your application.  According to their web site:
There are three primary requisites for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars
of the United States: (1) U.S. Citizen or U.S. National (2) Honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States
(3) Service entitling the applicant to the award of a recognized campaign medal or as set forth in the Congressional Charter
and By-Laws and Manual of Procedure and Ritual.

If I read your original message correctly, you were a member of the South African Armed Forces, who were fighting as an ally of the USA;  if that is indeed correct you did not have Honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States] and therefore not eligible.

They are also very particular about the exact period during which a person served.  The full details can be seen at http://www.vfw.org/uploadedFiles/VFWorg/Join/sept2012%20ElgibilityFolder2.pdf

I understand that most veteran's organizations are having financial difficulties and difficulty keeping their membership numbers from declining. I am not surprised.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:01:28 AM by tomcj2 »

Slynito

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »
It's just like Tomcj2 said...

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
Hi Blitzed,

Thanks for your service. I think that is so infair to deny you a membership especially now that you are a citizen.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »
Gentlemen, Thank You for your advice and the rules. Apparently I forgot to read the small print in my interest in joining. I was not a citizen at the time of my service and it was, perhaps, presumptive, to decided that having served with the American Forces, if not in, perhaps qualified.  Again, Thank You. Petr Johan