Author Topic: Positive Mental Attitude Literature  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
Positive Mental Attitude Literature
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
Hey my SLY brethren and sistren...

I've come across scattered threads on good PMA books, but what about a thread dedicated to such?

In retirement, I've started to read more and more and more, typically reading an hour or two a day.  That results in completing a book or two a week.

What PMA books do you recommend and why?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Positive Mental Attitude Literature
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »
I listen to a lot of audio books, as well as read paper books.  I recently listened to The Art of Happiness by The Dalai Lama.

I recommend it.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:09:46 PM »
A book that I read many years ago as a young man. It was handed to me by a much older Friend at a terrible time in my life.
That book changed my life.

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale

I carried that ragged old paperback around with me for years. Then years later I had a Friend that was at a bad time in his life. I simply handed him my book and said, "This will change your life.... please read it and then one day pass it to a Friend in need."
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »
I don't even know if this is still in print. Years ago I was in a relationship with a woman who was bound and determined to drag me over the sharpest rocks she could find. I won't go into further details because it could result in a book of its own. But a friend of mine at that time recommended I'm OK, You're OK. I read that little piece of psychological gold in one night and woke up the next morning and I knew what I had to do. And because of what I had learned I was able to do it. At that time in my life it was the key.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:02:25 AM »
To be or not be intimidated.  That is the question by Robert Ringer.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:09:25 AM »
Another one I like is The Art of Mindful Living by Thich Nhat Hanh.  I have the audio version but all his books are available in the print version as well.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »
Success is a Choice by Rick Pitino.

I purchased this book at the airport on my way to accept a position in a management training program with my employer. This book hit home for me. If we want to be successful we need to put in the work. We need to be committed. We need to be prepared. And...we need to be realistic.

I have tried to stay true to the message throughout my career. I've recommended this book many times.
TheBBQGuy

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
The Magic by Rhonda Byrne

It's all about gratitude. Sometimes we all need to be reminded that we have lots and lots to be thankful for.
TheBBQGuy

Enter your email address: