Author Topic: Shaved head after a hair transplant  (Read 66690 times)

Offline bee

• Learning the way of Sly
  • looks bad
Shaved head after a hair transplant
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
i am 30 and had a hair transplant about six months ago. It looks bad.  I feel like a fake.  I want to shave my head but I have a big scar on the side a back of my head. I also have little red dimples on the top of my head were transplanted hair is growing.  Is anyone in the same boat as me.  I am really disappointed in myself.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: Shaved head after a hair transplant
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that bro.  One reason why this site was created was to help men with hairloss to come to realize that shaving is the best solution.    The primary aim of course is to encourage men with hairloss to shave before going through something like a hair transplant and then realizing that shaving is the best option.

The good thing from your situation is that you had the transplant about 6 months ago (some people go on for years).  Things could have been a lot worse.  So,  count your blessings.   How bad is the scar?  A picture would help.  Sometimes our minds tend to magnify things. 
Don't be disappointed.  It's not your fault.   Be happy that you realized this wasn't working out early on.  Don't let this one mistake cause you to be unhappy.   Concentrate on what you do have. 
I hope you stick around.   O0

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:00:31 AM »
Don't beat yourself up, man.  You're not the first to fall for the fake promises that these companies offer; all they are is parasites preying on men's insecurities.  There are guys on this site who have gone down the same road.  Hopefully they will chime in and offer their perspective if you haven't already found some of their posts.  Thanks for joining.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »
Bee, I am kind of in the same boat as you.  I was born with no eyebrows and very selfconscience about it.  So about eight months ago I went to B---- Hair Loss Center.  Well I too have a scar behind my left ear.  At the time I had a full head of hair which had a texture I didn't like.  So, I am now BBC.  Not one person has said a thing about the scar.  I also have dimples and bumps on my scalp.  So What!!!  I like it and that is what counts.  Go ahead and try it,  I'll bet you will love it.  If not, you know it will grow back!!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »
couple things. First based upon the picture you posted I dont really see what looks so bad. Maybe it looks worse in person  ?
Personal message me some pics if you like...Ill give you an honest opinion or just post em here. 
I know one guy here had laser treatment to reduce scars i think...maybe someone else will chime in.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Ftank

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
Sorry to hear about that.  I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad about it.  I thought about a hair transplant for awhile.  I would shave down and see if you like it.  If you become comfortable about your appearence then i don't think the scar will be an issue.  If you are really unhappy with it maybe you can get it fixed up with a laser.

Frank

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
There is a product called, "bio-oil" that is supposed to reduce scarring. I don't know how effective it is though.

marty22

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
not bad at all. I dont see the major problem.

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »
I don't know how prominent the scars are; but if you are unhappy with the results of surgery you should strongly consider going sly.  There might be some scars but it's overall a better look to be sly.  Nobody's head is perfectly complected, everybody's come some scars, moles or something on there. 

Welcome to SBG! 

Sorry to hear about your problems with plugs. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:36:28 AM »
It's just a scar dude, shave it.

You can always make up a cool story of how you got it.  ;D

Offline johnny5

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »
dude,

same boat, i feel THE SAME WAY.  I got 2 transplants like 2 and 5 years ago and always feel like I'm being a fake, like even if people don't notice, it's like I'm hiding something....  I've never really been happy with it, and regret the same way you do.  I have recently been shaving my entire head with a #3 and it looks pretty good.  I shaved it with a #1 a few months ago, and it looked great.  Some people noticed the scars, but it didn't bother me at all!  When I looked in the mirror, I liked what I saw.  And although the scars aren't so pretty, they are genuine and real, unlike the plugs on the top of my head...

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
you should post some pics sowe can see how it looks... did you?  i dont know i kinda just pop on this site and go.  but my guess is the longer you let it grow the less fake itll look.  also if you feel theres no options look at hair systems theyre just wigs.  i know alot of black girl friends that use them when i was in high school and the only time you could ever tell their hair was fake was if they got in a fight and started yanking at eachothers hair.  the hair systems for men work the same way.  i was thinking about getting one just go i can be a stranger in another city...      .. . . .. . .. . . ..    .    .  . . .   dont juge me.

LMAO! this guy.......lol. ;D

Offline Rhymez

• McGarry
  • Super Sly
  • Hip Hop 4 Life!
    • Notorious R-MC
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:32:55 AM »
Now, I have not shaved my head in a while. I like to keep my head buzzed, altho at one point I used to keep my head bald. I have this scar on the top of my head which is actually sort of a dent, it curves into my head. It happened when I was a toddler, where I was playing in a sand box where some animals had used it as a litter box, and caught ringworm. It was long ago and I cannot remember exactly, but my mom told me the doctor said my hair might not grow back, altho from my pik u can see it did. But when I was shaving my head, when I first joined this site, I realized if you know the scar is there, and dont let it worry you, then people will not bother you about it. If you go freaking out and make it obvious to people it is there, then they will comment on your reactions to it. So if you want to shave it off, go ahead and shave it off. If you want to, then dont be all worried over the scar. If you keep your cool, then nobody will say anything, and if they do, remember you shaved your head for you, dont listen to any negative comments, and dont pay attention to negative crap flying from people's mouths!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:34:59 AM by Notorious R-MC »

Offline wanttobebald

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »
Guys, this is my first post.  I also fell for the hair transplant thing.  My story is that I had really thick, great hair when I was young.  I started thinning all over the top noticeably in my 20s.  At the time it was terribly upsetting as I felt that my hair was part of my identity.  When my appearance started changing rapidly and there was nothing I could do about it, I felt scared, low-self esteem, and desperate.  I could not accept that I was losing my hair. 

I got a hair transplant in my 20s.  I really think that it is unethical for hair transplant doctors to prey on men in their 20s when they are first experiencing hair loss.  I was misled about this terrible procedure in so many ways.  I regret this decision more than any other decision in my life by far.  I still have so much hair (I have been on propecia for over 10 years now) that nobody can tell that I have a hair transplant.  However, I feel like a fraud.  I hate feeling like I am keeping a secret or hiding something from others.  It's horrible.  My opinion and the opinion of almost everyone else that I have asked is that I look much better and younger with a buzzed head than with thin hair on top.  I really wish I could get off the drugs, but fear that when I lose more native hair my head will look unnatural (even with stubble, the stubble pattern would look unnatural LOL.)

I have changed so much and have a very different perspective then when I was in my 20s now that I am in my 30s.  I could care less about being bald.  I actually WANT to be bald and IDENTIFY as a bald person.  Being obsessed with your looks really sucks.  It is not a recipe for happiness.  And I feel like getting a hair transplant sends a terrible message: as if being bald is so terrible that it warrants mutilating your head to try and look less bald.  Horrible message.

Ironically, I have accepted the idea of baldness.  Now what I am having a terrible time accepting is that I have the strip scar on the back of my head.... and that over time if I lose more hair my appearance will look unnatural.  It is really embarrassing to me.  I hate showing that I was so vain, insecure, and unable to accept mother nature.  I am not that person anymore.  Now I feel like I have a more difficult task than accepting God given natural hair loss: that is to accept that I mutilated myself because I was so insecure.

In my opinion, happiness comes from accepting oneself, respecting oneself, and being confident.  I also feel that those are the characteristics that attract members of the opposite sex.  I feel like getting a hair transplant displays the opposite of those things, to oneself, and to others.  I am totally against this procedure, especially in young people.

If anybody has ideas on how to get past this, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am living with a lot of regret and shame for what I had done. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
I agree entirely about doctors that prey on the fear of balding.  But there are some contradictions in what you have written, read it again, your answer is there.  Most importantly you've accepted the idea of balding--big step.  Now the rest is rather down hill.  Stop the meds, today.  They're expensive and you don't know what else they're doing, no one does, not even the doctor that supplies your script.

Now you're really headed for the end of the problem.  Stop at a Wal-Mart or any other store--find the cheapest clippers you can find, as long as the set has some guides, usually #s 1,2,3&4.  Put on the number 2 and go to town take all the hair off, all of it. 

Intermission time--take a look, you'll be suprised by the dude in the mirror.  You can rest here or go to #1 and do the same thing.  Again, you can rest here or take the guard off entirely and do it again.  Again, you can rest here or go on.  Finally, lather up, take a new razor, I'm hot on the new Magnum MS at Wal-Mart right now.

Take a shower, get your scalp good and wet--shampoo, etc., then shave it off.  Home, problem solved. You will have left behind drugs, and all the other issues because you're now ahead of the game, no one can see how bald you are or aren't unless they really are interested. 

That's how you solve it. 

Sorry if this is abrupt, but you just need to stop and realize, if you're no longer afraid of the prospect of baldness, you have done the hard part.  The rest is really easy.

Oh, and enjoy the freedom, it is one of the empowering, freeing experiences you'll ever have and you will remember this day for a long time.