Author Topic: Good shave soap  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
Good shave soap
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
Hi all,

Now that I'm using a DE anyone got a good soap suggestion?  I'm currently using Men's Soap Company Himalayan.  I'm only so so on it though.  Open to trying new things.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Good shave soap
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 01:11:13 AM »
I primarily use HeadSlick mixed with a few drops of Shave Secret. But no matter what soap you end up using, always add a few drops of Shave Secret Pre-shave oil. It's about $4 at WalMart.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:04:33 AM »
I have some Shave Secret.  I've been putting it on my head as a pre-shave oil.  It sounds like you're adding it to your lather?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »
Correct. Always mix 5 drops with your shave cream (in my case, I use a cap of HeadSlick and mix it with 5 drops of Shave Secret)

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm currently out of town and have poor internet
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 02:53:13 PM »
I can recommend. www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com/

MrZed

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:39:49 PM »
Stirling (https://www.stirlingsoap.com/) is still my favorite.  Great soaps, great selection of scents.  Their aftershaves and balms are good as well.  Get samples.  They last quite a few head shaves each, and you can try a variety of scents that way.

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:54 PM »
I got some Proraso and it blew the Men's Soap Company out of the water in epic fashion.  Out of curiosity I had to try some Stirling since everyone is so high on them.  Have a couple samples coming on Monday.  Bay Rum, Coniferous, and Gin and Tonic on the Rocks.  Between those and the Proraso Red can I have I think I should be set for a while. 

On a related note, how many head shaves do you typically get out of a soap?  I know it's YMMV but curios to tell.

I'm also so glad I switched to DE.  The first couple shaves were tough, got some nicks and weepers.  Then I had some good, close, really nice shaves.  Now I feel when I get that angle just perfect I cut the air off and barely feel the razor at all.  Good stuff.  Now I almost wish my hair grew faster so I could shave more often!