Author Topic: Oh, just shave it, will you!  (Read 29392 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Oh, just shave it, will you!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
We should start a blog for guys that are whipped...LOL!!   ;D

We could all be authors and post up articles that we find and funny things we think of.  It would be more satirical than factual.

Anyone interested?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
he said his wife vetoed the idea.

DOH!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I told him that's ok, she can get happy in the same pants she got mad in.     :o     8)    ;D
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 05:14:48 PM »
We should start a blog for guys that are whipped...LOL!!   ;D

We could all be authors and post up articles that we find and funny things we think of.  It would be more satirical than factual.

Anyone interested?

Sounds cool to me....I think I'll use that magazine cover and whip it out every time a post smacks of the gal wearing the pants......sorta like "HERE'S YER SIGN"

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 05:23:43 PM »
but he said his wife vetoed the idea.
Guy needs to figure out that his wife's fingers will start marking their territory the minute its unclaimed by thinning hair. 
I don't know if its just me, but I would rather be a partner in a marriage than a Employee with a strict dress code! See if you can't have his wife tell him to wear a clown nose one day, see how far he is willing to take it! :*))
Peace

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 05:30:10 PM »
We should start a blog for guys that are whipped...LOL!!   ;D

Anyone interested?

that would be hilarious. i am in.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »
Hey, i shaved my head !! I did it!

Dude, you look like a badass! The only people on here that look like more of a badass are probably me (well, if I'm doing shrugs in the gym!) or maybe BaldRob. Of course no one else probably thinks I look like a bad-ass...
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »
I keep tellin my boss to shave it, but he said his wife vetoed the idea.

Wow, did she veto the idea of him standing up to pee too? Sometimes I just don't "get" marriage...
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

- Martial

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »
Well,unfortunately I'm one of those people that care what people think. I'm also afraid to shave it completely. Plus I don't look bad with my thinning hair as long as I wear it short. I have a high forehead so I don't think I'll look good shaved slick.It will look like too much head. I wear my hairpiece on certain occasions because in my family most of my male relatives my age have their own hair.There's only 2 others like me and one lives out of state and the other one is 14 years older than me so I really feel like the odd man out. I really care how others see me. I think I'm an actor wannabe because I want to have that look with my perfectly coiffed hair.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »
Hey Don, thanks for sharing that with us, I know it was probably tough to admit your fears.  Knowing that you would be able to grow it back in a couple weeks if you don't like it, what do you think it would take to get the courage to shave?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 03:23:30 AM »
Well,unfortunately I'm one of those people that care what people think. I'm also afraid to shave it completely. Plus I don't look bad with my thinning hair as long as I wear it short. I have a high forehead so I don't think I'll look good shaved slick.It will look like too much head. I wear my hairpiece on certain occasions because in my family most of my male relatives my age have their own hair.There's only 2 others like me and one lives out of state and the other one is 14 years older than me so I really feel like the odd man out. I really care how others see me. I think I'm an actor wannabe because I want to have that look with my perfectly coiffed hair.

While it certainly can be difficult to take that first plunge and try something new, you might be totally surprised about how awesome you feel once you have done it.   You are already wearing it short and this would be just one more step.  Rather than feeling like the odd man out you will feel liberated and in control.  And remember actor wannabe, some of the most interesting and fascinating roles for actors are played by guys who have gone Sly.  Good luck what ever your decision.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 05:28:32 AM »
 :/O Paul/Jarhead has it exactly right. Afraid of distinction...? Even if you decided the bald look is not for you, it seems to me that you're obliged to face down your fear, for the sake of self-respect. You've nothing to lose, except the fear.  You can grow it back, and then there's the piece. Bald is natural, liberating, and totally honest. Can you get used to these qualities? As to the wife (I've been married to the same woman for 36 years and know whereof I speak), the dynamic is always better when you're dealing from a position of strength. Uxoriousness will cost you. Let us know your decision; perhaps send a photo, so we can judge how your dome would look shaved. There is also a service--GoBaldly.com (?)--which can show you what you'd look like buzzed and totally sly. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

BaldRob

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 07:07:53 AM »

Don, I think that most every one here will tell you the same thing... give it a try!  Look in the gallery and you'll see a pic of me before I shaved.  I had some serious horseshoe action going with not much at all on top.  As a result, I also wore my hair very close for a long time before shaving clean.

I'm not going to lie to you... once you shave it clean, it will be an adjustment.  Give it 6 weeks and then reevaluate.  And I'll bet you $1 right now, that all your "hairy" relatives (aside from the initial ribbing - yes, it happens) will all like it and say that you should have done it years ago!  (and never ever shave for the first time in the summer... too much contrast!  Always shave for the first time in the winter or spring)

As far as your high forehead goes, unless you're a Klingon, you've got no worries... O0

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 10:53:46 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies.I think it will be a slow process for me if I ever go sly.I have to wean my way into things. I just can't go cold turkey.After all I'm a lot braver now than I was a year and a half ago. A year and a half ago I wouldn't be caught dead without my piece.But little by little I tried it out on a few people and they say I look good with or without my piece. So I've come very far. I used to wear the piece mostly at work but I took an early retirement because I worked at the World Trade Center.I'm a 9/11 survivor and I was also there for the bombing of 1993.I was an emotional wreck so now I'm happily retired. 

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2007, 12:09:10 AM »
Glad to have you around Don!

Shave it!
- John Steinbeck

- Georges Clemenceau

- Martial

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 12:47:49 AM »

Don, I think that most every one here will tell you the same thing... give it a try!  Look in the gallery and you'll see a pic of me before I shaved.  I had some serious horseshoe action going with not much at all on top.  As a result, I also wore my hair very close for a long time before shaving clean.

I'm not going to lie to you... once you shave it clean, it will be an adjustment.  Give it 6 weeks and then reevaluate.  And I'll bet you $1 right now, that all your "hairy" relatives (aside from the initial ribbing - yes, it happens) will all like it and say that you should have done it years ago!  (and never ever shave for the first time in the summer... too much contrast!  Always shave for the first time in the winter or spring)

As far as your high forehead goes, unless you're a Klingon, you've got no worries... O0

This is sound advice.    It took me about 12 weeks to really get used to it.    Now at 15 weeks my mental image of myself is that of a bald guy with or without glasses.    The hardest part was getting used to it when I don't wear my glasses(which isn't often, but I had to do it to prepare myself if I go for lasik in the future).   

The bottom line is when you realize how in control of everything you are, how nice it feels not to have to mess with hair, and the joy of the shaving process, you never go back as far as i'm concerned.
bald for life