Author Topic: What made you go bald?  (Read 283769 times)

Offline CarlosMIS

• Sly Jr.
Re: What made you go bald?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 12:52:05 PM »
Hi bald brothers!

I recently join the forum but didn't get a chance to post anything. So I figure I'll start with why am I bald?

I have always like short hair (minus in the 80's of course) so I used to get cuts almost millitary style very often. My ex-wife liked longer hair so "I Had to" keep more on... I started to shave my head bald every summer then let it grow in for winter. Last time I did that was in 2000 and I kept hair on since. This year I decided to go bald again but this time for good. I will be posting more as winter comes along!

::)
Sincerely Bald,
Carlos

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 01:05:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum CarlosMIS!!! We're glad you found us. Feel free to look around and start new topics if you like too.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 04:22:35 PM »
Aye, welcome bald brother!   :)
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 01:52:38 AM »
Welcome CarlosMIS!!  I don't think anyone had short hair in the 80's...LOL
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 06:05:26 AM »
Hi Carlos, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you went ahead and posted something. I like your moustache - it's really thick, like Tom Selleck's. Gee, I wish mine would be that thick... *sigh*
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline lostnfound21

• Sly Jr.
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 10:06:22 AM »
Bald By Choice! My hair is very thick and crazy. It grows fast too. I was at work complaining about it one day and, sort of half-joking, I said I was going to shave my head. The girl I was dating at the time looked at me and was like, "No way. You wouldn't do it."  So I went home and had a buddy shave my head while she looked on in horror. It was great! I've been doing it ever since then. 10+ years of being bald!!

Offline CarlosMIS

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!

More coming soon...
Sincerely Bald,
Carlos

Offline Switch

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 03:44:52 PM »
I shaved my head my junior year in high school. Up until that point i had a ponytail. i shaved when a really close friend of mine who had long hair like i did, got into a car crash and had to have his hair cut during surgery. He is fine now and growing his hair out. However, I love who i am and how i feel when i am bald, and bald i shall remain!
-Switch "The Prodigy" Noblitt

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 03:21:16 AM »
Aye, and bald you shall remain... :)

Hi Switch, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you joined and jumped right
in and posted.

Looking forward to reading your future posts.

Take care,

Harry
Who loves ya, baby?

KrasH

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »
I had long hair most of my life, when I decided to go to short hair, I just never liked it and I kept changing styles. I just got fed up and had my girlfriend at the time shave my head, she was a stylist, so off we went to her work. First she gave me a mohawk, I almost had her stop right there because I really liked how it looked. She finished the job and my bald round head was exposed, within a few hours I knew this was how I would be keeping my head for good.

That was New Years Eve 4 years ago.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »
Hi KrasH, and welcome to our "club".
I must say, you look very good with a shaven head, so you definitely made the right choice there. I also like the picture you're using (has a peaceful feel to it) - it's nice to have members who post portraits with their girlfriends/wives (Tyler has a nice user picture, too).

I also checked out your photography website (looked at the one gallery that's online at the moment) - your photography is very artistic. I like b/w photography...you definitely get a different feel with it, something that cannot be reproduced on colour film...
Do you work with digital or with film?
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline MC HammerHead

• "..I shouldn't have to tell you who I am...because who I am should be speaking for itself.."
  • Sly
  • Future's So Bright, Got To Wear Shades..and SPF 45
    • Downhillbillies
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 08:32:42 AM »
Well, genetics and God  ;) conspired against me and thinned out my forehead and crown, but otherwise I had thick curly hair.  I came from the land of mullets (yes, North Carolina was the epicenter of that "hair revolution") but with the thinning it looked even more stupid.  My best friend is/was my barber and he kept egging me on to trim it "high and tight".  Once we finally got to the 1 blade it was simply a matter of time before I took a razor to it just on a whim.  That same day I had a mtn bike training session and realized how much easier to put on and take off my helmet and how much cooler it was without hair!
I was hooked and never have looked back.

Now, its smooth shaving everyday!
MC HammerHead
Downhillbillies Skateboarding Organization
Woody's Halfpipe Board Shop Team
Pavel Skates Flow Team
Axe Army
Headblade Street Team
www.myspace.com/mchammerhead

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 08:54:51 AM »
Alway's kept my hair short, in the 80's I was in the Navy.  I tried to let it grow out when I got out in 92, but couldn't stand it, went back to my flat top.  Moved to the Raleigh area from Charlotte, spent two years trying to find a barber that could cut a decent flat top on me.  Gave up and started buzz cutting my own hair. (too cheap to pay someone for something I can do my self).  One evening I was buzzing my hair, and said to myself, "self, (I do that sometimes, call myself self), self, your only a week or two from being bald"

So I hopped into the shower and started shaving it all off.  Been that way for over 2 years now, I've let it grow back a couple of times, but after a week or two, it comes right back off.

Hammerhead, I've always been interested in mountain biking, and I'm on a quit smoking start exercising kick right now. (we'll see how long that lasts).  Tell me more about this mountain bike training.  Is it something you do on your own, or a class?
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline MC HammerHead

• "..I shouldn't have to tell you who I am...because who I am should be speaking for itself.."
  • Sly
  • Future's So Bright, Got To Wear Shades..and SPF 45
    • Downhillbillies
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 10:10:04 AM »
I raced mtn bikes all throughout the 90's until I had a major crash in a race in 1999.テつ  Now I just ride a bit but nothing extreme.テつ  I mostly train now on a fixed bike in the house, in a spin class I help teach, or on a Concept2 Rower.

If you are just getting started here is what I would suggest:テつ  Take a beginner spin class at your local Y or gym.テつ  Make sure its a beginner class because some of those "nazi spinner chic instructors" will kill your ass if you are not careful.

Also, just start riding your bike around you neighborhood every day you can. Even if it is just for 20 minutes or so.テつ  テつ  If you have local trails talk to other riders to find out what the level of the trail's difficulty really is.テつ  The one thing I see with people new to mtn. biking is that they get in way over their head on a trail that is too difficult at first and either get hurt or discouraged.テつ 

One other thing I would suggest is to find someone else just starting out like yourself.テつ  Mtn. biking is one sport that is a lot cooler when you are riding with someone at your own ability at first.テつ  Nothing can be more deflating that going out with some hardcore rider who can't/won't slow down or be patient.テつ  The mountain bike club I use to belong to use to have group rides on Tues and Thurs afternoons/evenings at the local trail.テつ  Tuesday night was always understood to be the night that everyone road as a group and stuck with the beginners or slower riders.テつ  Thursday night was hammer time and everyone basically went at their own pace.テつ  If you can find a group like that that has a scheduled ride where it is clearly understood that it was for fun and enjoyment and to help each other along then you will have a better time...The more fun yo have doing it the more you will want to do it.

Greenways or public bike paths are perfect to start with because they usually don't have steep grades or technical sections.

Start slow, have fun, and don't get discouraged.テつ  Good luck with quitting smoking.テつ  I have watched my best friend, the barber I mentioned, try to kick that habit, and though he is now successful, it was amazingly difficult and trying.

Good luck, Bro!テつ 

(DUDE- I just noticed you were from Charlotte.  The group you need to hook up with is called Tarheel Trailblazers.  Go to www.tarheeltrailblazers.com....They are a very active mtn. bike group that does a lot of trail building and trail advocacy in your area.   I used to be a regional volunteer for the International Mtn. Biking Assoc. and was one of the original founders of the Crossroads Cycling Club in Statesville.  I have been out of it since my injury and since I have back racing skateboards on the national circuit).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 10:14:27 AM by MC HammerHead »
MC HammerHead
Downhillbillies Skateboarding Organization
Woody's Halfpipe Board Shop Team
Pavel Skates Flow Team
Axe Army
Headblade Street Team
www.myspace.com/mchammerhead

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 10:38:03 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I used to live in Charlotte, I'm now in Sanford, but I work in RTP.  Need to pull my bike out of the shed, fix it up, and just ride.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]