Author Topic: Is Going Sly a "Gateway Drug"?  (Read 11273 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Is Going Sly a "Gateway Drug"?
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
Some people say pot is a gateway to taking harder drugs.  Well here's something that comes to mind after reading posts on this forum for the last four years: going sly seems to be the gateway to making other changes in our lives.  It's as if going sly boosts confidence enough to overcome other inhibitions.  For example, some guys decide to get tattoos or piercings.  Some other guys hit the gym or change the type of clothes they wear.  I'm sure there are other things that I'm missing. 

Have you noticed this in the posts on the site?  Have you noticed it about yourself?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Is Going Sly a "Gateway Drug"?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if headshaving is a drug, but I know for me it is an addiction. I have decided a dozen times to grow my hair back, but return to shaving bald after a week or two.

I have made some changes, like losing weight and dressing better. I think my biggest change is in attitude. I used to worry about what other people thought about how I looked, or what I did, but I no longer worry about those things.

Bottom line, I think people think I look much better with a full head of silver hair, but I like how I look and feel with a shaved head, and enjoy my daily shave.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
I agree Reddog, I also have had a change in attitude.  I remember very clearly standing in front of the mirror, still with a full head of hair, thinking, "I don't care what anyone else thinks."  Less than an hour later I was bald. 

I'm currently losing weight (20 pounds, much to go).  When I get my profit sharing check at the end of the month I'm planning on booking a consulting session with a tattoo artist, my wife's cousin, who is amazing.  Check out the pics on this Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/sarenitytattoo/?fref=ts

I have 2 tattoos planned.  I never would have had the guts to go through with it before I started shaving my head.  I now have the confidence to fly in the face of other peoples' opinions and do my thing. 

Offline DeanJones

• Dean Jones
  • Sly Jr.
  • Baldie for life!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:45:25 AM »
I think it is. For me, it was about finding acceptance and being myself. I didn't have to be a sheep. I could stand apart. I was getting close to 50, and single and looking for a new job. For me the thought of shaving my head was the last thing I wanted to do. I was full of worry. Doubt.
I started dating a woman who saw old photo's of me with a shaved head. She said "who's this guy, he's hot?
 I asked her if she would like it if I had a shaved head. She said she would be overjoyed as she preferred bald men.
I shaved my head and i'm never going back.
I think it made me feel more agressive and bold.
I'm happy to be a baldie, and I think people see it.
I'm bald, and I love it! Bald is the best! Bald for life!

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »
For me, going sly was kind of a milestone for me.  I was slowly going bald and didn't particularly like the receding hairline and thinning hair look.  Going sly was a good choice as the last time I grew hair back, I was quite bald.  But I had for years, lacked confidence and was a people pleaser.  It helped me to become more confident.  I am also now growing a large beard to go with it.  So really, if people don't like me for having a shaved head and big ass beard, I really don't give a flying rat's ass about it!  It's their loss!  While I will be sly for life, if I became unemployed, I would probably take down the beard.  But, yes, going sly was the first step in confidence and being comfortable with myself!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
I think MPB leads to low self esteem and we do not realize it.  Then when we go sly, we look in the mirror and realize we don't look so bad after all.  This new realization gives us the boost we need to make other positive changes as well.  For me, it was loosing weight and getting back to the gym.
SlyBeard

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
I was always the guy that said if I ever started losing my hair I'd have a hair transplant. I was really vain about my hair. Hated it when people would mess it up or the wind would mess it up. They say your hair pattern follows your moms dad, that being said my grandpa has always been cul-de-sac bald! Ha. I knew I was destined for losing my hair. I truly could imagine life without it. Since shaving my head it's given me the realization that there's more important things in life then having hair. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think those of us who are 'fortunate' to be sly have it figured out! I'm not sure that going sky has led to anything else (already have tattoos, no piercings cause I'm in a white collar profession) but I do think it definitely adds a new 'pep to my step' being sly just looks bad ass! Lol

Offline armiller17

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 08:06:44 PM »
Similar to what some people have already said, I think there's been a confidence boost thats a gateway drug for me working out more.  I look in the mirror now and see the shaved head and beard and am satisfied.  Then I look down at my chest and arms and think to myself "Man, I've got to bring these up to spec!"

I'm running one of the obstacle races in may so its good timing to want to get more fit and build muscle.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »
Absolutely! Once you start shaving your head, other adventures start. A month after shaving my head, I added my first beard which has changed shape and size, a few times. Then piercings. Then a tattoo. Then a waxed handlebar moustache. Lately, I've grown my goatee even bigger. And it all started here with the 30 day SBG shave trial. Thanks ! Now I'm stuck with this look !

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »
Haha this is so true. I never wanted a tattoo before, but I kinda wouldn’t mind a shoulder/upper arm piece now that I’m bald. Doubt that would fly with the wife  ;D

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 01:43:24 AM »
Haha this is so true. I never wanted a tattoo before, but I kinda wouldn’t mind a shoulder/upper arm piece now that I’m bald. Doubt that would fly with the wife  ;D

Agreed but Im too indecisive

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 05:51:54 AM »
I have changed my clothing style since I've been shaving but speaking as a man pushing 70, I'd feel out of place doing anything more than that.  In general, people don't seen to notice my baldness and shaving is no big deal for me.  In fact, I look forward to shaving.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 06:58:34 AM »
I remember people claiming that wearing a shaved head saves you alot of money. Haircuts, shampoo, and hair products. But as we become "addicted" to maintaining a perfectly smooth bald head, there are things we want. Razors, shavers, oils, soaps, lotions, hats, etc. Not saving alot of money here!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 08:21:28 PM »

It’s always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Enter your email address: