Author Topic: Long time shaver first time poster  (Read 5072 times)

Offline 2critical

• Learning the way of Sly
Long time shaver first time poster
« on: December 13, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »
Greetings all-
I was politely notified by our esteemed leader that I'd registered but never posted...so here goes!  I've read many of your posts and learned tons - thanks to all of you.  I'll try to be a more active contributer in the future...

PS Have any of you noticed the 'bandwagon' effect - that is, how more and more of your associates and the like have gone bald once you took the leap and did it yourself?  Just wondering.

BaldRob

Re: Long time shaver first time poster
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:02:12 PM »
Hi and Welcome 2critical!

PS Have any of you noticed the 'bandwagon' effect - that is, how more and more of your associates and the like have gone bald once you took the leap and did it yourself? Just wondering.

I haven't experienced that yet... but I tell most of my friends who's hair is going south that they need to shave it off!

Offline Clay

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:10:23 PM »
Hi, welcome to the site and thanks for the post.  I haven't seen the bandwagon effect yet either.  Look forward to future posts from you. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 10:38:59 PM »
Greetings all-
I was politely notified by our esteemed leader that I'd registered but never posted...so here goes!  I've read many of your posts and learned tons - thanks to all of you.  I'll try to be a more active contributer in the future...

PS Have any of you noticed the 'bandwagon' effect - that is, how more and more of your associates and the like have gone bald once you took the leap and did it yourself?  Just wondering.

I started the bandwagon effect at one of the parties I attended.  It was all of my wife's friends and their husbands.  One of the husbands shaved his head a couple of weeks later.  He didn't tell his wife and when she got home she started balling, so he's growing it out.  I just got a Christmas card from them and he's sporting a shiney dome!  Love it!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 12:07:13 AM »
Hi 2critical,

and welcome! Great to have you with us!

As far as the bandwagon effect that you mentioned is concerned: in my case it didn't happen in the
workplace, but in the family circle. A cousin of mine, who has always had very long hair (as far as I can
remember), has gone bald a few months after I made the move. And he wasn't even balding...

Anyway, again, great having you on board. I'm looking forward to reading more of you.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:10:04 AM »
2critical, I forgot to say welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 02:02:58 AM »
Welcome to the group, 2critical.  I'm glad Tyler sent you a message and now you made post!  Bandwagon... ??? I have people around me trimming their hair in the summer months, but most don't have the guts to shave it.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 06:11:37 AM »
Welcome, 2critical-meister

Have any of you noticed the 'bandwagon' effect

I've not yet shaved...so that's a moot point here.  I will say that I don't want it to catch on TOO fast.  As that means eventually losing our "rara avis" (uniqueness).

I was at the gym yesterday and it was pretty crowded.  So I looked around to see if there were any bald dudes and didn't see one (including myself) so if I were shaved, I would have held the "rara avis" at that point.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 07:29:33 AM »
 ;D I haven'e seen a bandwagon effect yet, but my dome is fairly recent and some colleagues have not seen it. I am working on a younger cousin, whose hair is fast fading (and whose wife is not yet happy about his going the whole way). Tyler, the follow-up of your story about the guy who shaved without telling her, ran into apparently overpower balling, but who is now sporting a shiny head just made my day. The shock--nobody is comfortable with what is strikingly new--prevents people from being objective about choosing total baldness; once familiarity has become a reality, they can judge whether it complements a particular face. As RazorX commented some threads ago, most adult men look better bald--certainly better than balding or toupeed. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 07:53:09 AM »
Welcome.  Great guys, and great information.

I would say I'm one of those that jumped on the bandwagon. I know three or four guys who either trim real short or shave. I figure if those ya-hoos can do and look good, then I certainly have a chance.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 09:06:26 AM »
At my last job 3 guys in the marketing department shaved their head. You can imagine what the meetings looked like! People who would visit the office to get a tour, came to our deparment and didn't know what to say. I told them it was from the asbestos in the building. For some reason my boss didn't like that comment.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 05:32:52 PM »
welcome 2critical
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:10:32 PM »
Welcome 2critical! As far as your comment on the "bandwagon" effect, I have noticed it to a small extent. Just before I shaved my head, there was a fella at work who had started to shave his. I showed up to work for a couple of days with the new chrome and then he let his grow out again. As for other co-workers, another guy at work has been saying for nearly two years that he is going to shave his. To date, he still has yet to take the plunge. Trying to get my boss to shave his head as well. He claims that his wife won't let him. I told him to just do it and let her get used to it. We'll see what happens then.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!