Author Topic: Newbie fom East Texas  (Read 8213 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Newbie fom East Texas
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »
What a nice board!  I've been lurking for a few days.

I've been contemplating shaving my head for quite some time.  I actually have a thick, wavy, head of hair with no sign of male pattern baldness in the near future, but I hated messing with the curls/waves.  As a result, for years, I've had my hair cut short (#2 on the sides and "finger-length" on the top).  I like it when it's that short, but it grows so quickly.  I've "threatened" to "just shave it" for years.  Saturday, my wife actually encouraged me stating, "Your hair grows so quickly, if you don't like it, all you have to do is wait a month."

Thus, Saturday, I removed the bulk with guard-less clippers, then hopped in the shower (I've shaved my face in the shower for many years using a fog-free mirror).  Also for years, I've always used my grandfather's vintage Gillette double edge razor and his Old Spice shaving mug along with some Colgate mug soap whipped up and applied with a brush. No razor has resulted in a better, irritation-free shave for me---with regard to my face, that is.

I figured shaving my head should be no different.  For the most part it wasn't!  I didn't get as close a shave as that of my face.  This is presumably due to my lack of practice on a scalp.  I knew better than to make too many passes on a virgin scalp.

I was so pleased with the appearance.  I wanted, however, a slick head.  After researching this and other sites, I went out and purchased a Gillette Fusion and the accompanied gel.  That got me closer to the slick feel, but still not quite there.

I then found some Head Blade HeadSlick. That combo with the Fusion gave me exactly what I was looking for.  A friend recommended "Bump Patrol" for the bumps on the nape of my neck that I've always experienced after a haircut. That stuff works, by the way.  I have a stethoscope around my neck much of the time, which aggravates the ingrown hair factor, but Bump Patrol seems to have cured that.  Incredible stuff, even if it does smell like jet fuel when you're applying it.  Fortunately, there's no residual scent.

While I was out buying stuff, I picked up a Head Blade Sport.  I've fully researched it and explored their site, but I haven't used it yet.  I understand there will be a learning curve, so I'm in no hurry to use it at this point.  So far I'm satisfied with the Fusion combined with the HeadSlick.

Before I found the HeadSlick (and this site), I ordered Billy Jealousy Hydroplane Shave Cream off Amazon (based on a review on another site).  I'll give it a try when it arrives.

So there's my story!  I really like this forum.  I finally finished reading all 65 pages of the 'What razor do you use?' thread.  From that thread alone I've derived that this is a very friendly bunch of folks.  Quite similar to SatelliteGuys.US (for everything about DBS, etc.)

For more info about me, and to see the origins of "120inna55", see my blog, etc.: 120inna55
My home website is here: HiltonHouse

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
Re: Newbie fom East Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »
Hello 120 from a fellow Texan.  Houston here.  I am in the same boat as you as I had thick wavy hair that drove me crazy.  Lost a bet with a bald neighbor, so I had to shave the noggin.  Best bet I ever lost.  It's been three years sly for me.  Wish I had lost that bet earlier.  Hope you enjoy your new life of freedom.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:45:03 AM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:05:19 AM »
Welcome.

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:12:14 AM »

While I was out buying stuff, I picked up a Head Blade Sport.  I've fully researched it and explored their site, but I haven't used it yet.  I understand there will be a learning curve, so I'm in no hurry to use it at this point.  So far I'm satisfied with the Fusion combined with the HeadSlick.

Welcome 120!!

BTW, just as a rule of thumb in reference to the statement above you made in your intro, it would also be in YOUR BEST INTEREST NOT to be in a HURRY when you actually decide to USE the HeadBlade also. One wrong slip of the wrist and it could get nasty. (Slice City). You'll have a much better HeadBlade experience (and end result) if you take your time and GO SLOW.

Once again.... Welcome!!

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »
I've gone the opposite direction with razors.  Three months ago when I went sly, I began shaving with a HeadBlade because I felt its design gave me better control.  About three weeks ago while on vacation, I did a quick shave with the Mach 3 that I use for my beard.  I discovered that I got a very smooth shave and I was easily able to control the razor, i.e., no nicks or cuts.  I then tried a Fusion (it was a free sample sitting in the hall closet for a couple years) and was amazed at the smooth shave.  In particular, the Fusion does a much better job shaving the sides / temples smooth without irritation and is very easy to control (or maybe I've gotten better at shaving.)

Anyway, I've retired my HeadBlade and am sold on the Fusion.  Perhaps if HeadBlade made an adaptor to take Fusion blades I'd switch back.

Finally, I like the other HeadBlade products (Shed, Wash, Slick, Lube and ClearHead) and use them regularly to keep the dome in good shape.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:43:44 PM »
Welcome 120.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
Hi 120.  I'm going to have to try the fusion.  I just started shaving the head and have been using the 2 blade sensor since that's what I had in the house.  It is giving me mild irritation but I'm not good at it yet and I think I'm making too many passes.  I also have to get a shower mirror and try it that way.

I bought the headblade too but haven't tried it yet.  I'm a little scared from what others have said.

Anyway, what I have learned so far is long slow passes work much better than short and quick.

Welcome to the group.

Offline good to be bald

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:04 PM »
WELCOME IT'S COOL TO BE BALD

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 05:43:39 AM »
...I also have to get a shower mirror and try it that way....
I've shaved in the shower for many years.  I have a shower mirror, but I suspect it's much like tying a tie in a mirror, in which the mirror is not actually used, but you somehow feel you need to be in front of a mirror to do it.  I would imagine there's not one of us that couldn't shave our faces without a mirror as we simply know our faces.  The HeadBlade lends to this as well.  It's more about feel than sight.

...I bought the headblade too but haven't tried it yet.  I'm a little scared from what others have said...
Yeah, I was hesitant after reading about how some guys had bad first-time experiences.  My first try was actually a perfect shave.  Closest shave ever.  No cuts. But I did have razor burn on the back of my head.  That was a direct result of multiple futile passes over the groove of my neck. I've gotten the hang of the HeadBlade.  I've been using it for several days now.  I find myself grabbing the Fusion to hit the places that require multiple angles (swirls) and around my ears.  I still use my double edge for my face.

Seems kind of ridiculous to have three different razors in my shower, but I can't get rid of my double edge.  The Fusion is simply the most forgiving razor I've ever used.  And nothing is as fast and close on the majority of my dome than the HeadBlade.  If I would learn to hold the HeadBlade more like a traditional razor in those swirl places and around my ears, I could get rid of the Fusion. 

In this video, the guy holds the HeadBlade differently to get those awkward places around the ears.  It's at 2:41.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
Thanks for pointing out that video.  I'm going to try it this weekend.  I also bought a shower mirror to give it a try in the shower (tomorrow).  My hair stubble feels so course that I'm hoping the shower can help soften it.  So far, I haven't been able to razor shave without going over it with and electric.  If I can't get it razor smooth after 2 or 3 passes, I give up because I don't want to irritate/burn my skin too much.

I with there was a workshop I could take on how to properly shave my head.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »
I found the HeadBlade pretty easy to control.  I switched to the Fusion because of the closer shave that the five blades give.  If there was an adapter for the HeadBlade that allowed it to use Fusion cartridges, I'd go for that.

I also have a ridiculous number of razors: a Panasonic that I use first each day, a HeadBlade, a Fusion and a Mach 3 (that I use for my face).  I also keep an old Trac II that I used to use to keep the sideburns trimmed (the Mach 3 with its flexible head didn't do that very well) - guess I don't need to keep that one around. 

Acme, don't give up - just keep trying different ways of shaving and you'll discover one that works.  Three months into being sly, I still keep experimenting.  I switched to an electric razor with HeadSlick to get the stubble off and then I lather up again with HeadSlick and go over my head with a Fusion.  The result is a very smooth shave with no irritation.  I guess I'm a fanatic because I shave with, against and diagonally across the grain with both the Panasonic and the Fusion!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 06:20:48 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields