4 (8.2%)
options 2 & 3
22 (44.9%)
options 1,2,3
5 (10.2%)
never
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: how were U disciplined as a child??  (Read 19964 times)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: how were U disciplined as a child??
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2008, 08:30:41 AM »
I think we all pushed our parents to see how far we could get.  My parents only tell me now that Im getting my punishments from when I was younger..NOW, from my own kids.  LOL  Damn, you love your kids to death but there are times you just want to beat the hell out of em.  I hurt my kids all the time....when needed.  Not physically...but just enough to hurt their feelings...make em think.  Timmayyy!

Offline baldntat05

• Sly
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »
Most of the time mine was taking liberties away.  My Dad was a stickler for me keeping my hair cut in and induction.  Once I hit the almost teen years I was allowed to grow it out just a bit.  He did get mad with me one time and forced me to go to the barber and get it sheared off to the skin.  My mom got so upset with him he never did that again.  Wonder if that was the start of the need to shave?

I do have to say, my folks were very loving and most supportive and only gave punishment when it was called for.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »
It was definitely spankings for me. African parents don't play around! My mother used a wooden cooking paddle, and my father used a hanger or long ruler. Both parents hit me on the hands or the back of a leg. The funny thing is I never cried when I got hit, as I had a high tolerance for pain. My siblings sometimes still make fun of me for it in an admirable/envious way though, hahah. I may be in the minority, but I think corporal punishment should be brought back to public schools. The stuff kids pull nowadays is appalling! I've been out of grammar school for just over a decade, and there's still a huge difference. There was no cyberbullying and killings over petty things like a boy or girl.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:26:13 PM by BigKen »

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2016, 06:31:40 AM »
My father was a very strict, firm but just man.  He would always spanked me and my brothers when ever we did wrong, and we deserved it.  However now that we are older, all have turned out to be find men, responsible, hardworking and very disciplined.  I thank my father for that, because spanking your kid for bad behaving will drive out the demons in us and correct our behavior.  Believe it or not, he would also take us to the barber shop and shaved us bald.

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2016, 08:30:07 AM »
I grew up in Ireland in the 80s/90s. I still wouldn't cross my father to this day lol. Like most children at the time I got a wooden spoon across the backside when I misbehaved. It certainly didn't do me any harm but that was the parenting style at the time.
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2016, 10:14:05 AM »
I grew up in the 50's-60's, and dad was strict. You just didn't mess with him or you got smacked. When I was about 12, dad ordered mom to take us for haircuts after school. On the way to the barbershop, she informed us we were to get crewcut. This was mid sixties and the Beatles were popular so our hair was somewhat long, so a crewcut was NOT cool. My brother went first, when it was my turn, I looked at my brother and with red hair be looked nearly bald. I bolted for the door and refused a haircut. I wasn't thinking of the consequences when dad found out. Of course the next day my dad took me back, and I got an extra short crewcut. I lived.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Trevor

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Just a 16-year-old newbie
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2016, 05:15:53 PM »
My mom/grandma would smack the hell out of me if I did something stupid, and then they'd ground me.

Personally I don't believe hitting your kids is the best solution, but it's definitely effective.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:17:23 AM by Trevor »

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2016, 10:44:54 PM »
Harshly, I wouldn't do that to my own child if I had one
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 06:43:55 AM »
I have to note, as funny and interesting as this thread is - i would advice people not to answer other than the poll... mainly because discipline for children has become a very edgy topic in politics in the last 15 years, to the point where if you are seen spanking your child's hand in public you may get the authorities called on you. I have heard several instances so far even in my small town where parents have been harassed by CPS for being seen in public spanking a child's hand. Even verbally scolding a child has gotten parents in legal trouble for "emotional abuse and harm".

As a para-law enforcement officer myself, i would highly advise that folks not post how they discipline thier kids. Its not a rule, just my advice. Hope thats accepted well, as i intend it to be a help.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
I remember in sixth grade a couple of boys who were bullies were shaved bald by their fathers...Needless to say, they stopped bullying after having to walk around school with bald heads!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
I have to note, as funny and interesting as this thread is - i would advice people not to answer other than the poll... mainly because discipline for children has become a very edgy topic in politics in the last 15 years, to the point where if you are seen spanking your child's hand in public you may get the authorities called on you. I have heard several instances so far even in my small town where parents have been harassed by CPS for being seen in public spanking a child's hand. Even verbally scolding a child has gotten parents in legal trouble for "emotional abuse and harm".

As a para-law enforcement officer myself, i would highly advise that folks not post how they discipline thier kids. Its not a rule, just my advice. Hope thats accepted well, as i intend it to be a help.

I'm pretty sure most of the members here are aware of how times have changed when it comes to disciplining children. It's pathetic and ridiculous in my honest opinion, and that's why many kids are out of control these days. I will also point out this thread is about how we members were disciplined as kids and not how members' kids are disciplined.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »
Very true. I believe firmly in how I was raised and disciplined, and it's a shame that parents are in legal danger now to be seen or caught doing what a parent's job is in order to prevent their kids from growing up to be selfish and unruly leeches of society which is what we have these days...

And true it is meant to be about how we were raised but I saw quite a few responses where some mentioned how they discipline their kids.

Like I said, I have no authority here it was just a suggestion that maybe it's not the best thing to be sharing online where anyone can see.

Enter your email address: