Author Topic: Changing things up again  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Re: Changing things up again
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 07:19:39 PM »
There is a guy I see at the gym, likely a little older than me, that has almost no hair remaining on top.  He appears to be sly, until you see him up close.  He keep the sides shaved, but allows what is left on top to grow.  I guess you could call it a High & Tight, but it is just fuzz on top.  And really, it does not look bad.  I think if he did not keep the sides shaved it would look bad though.

I’ve seen cuts like that. I think why not just shave it at that point. Maybe going to the barbers is a nice way to pamper yourself and he doesn’t want to give that up. Who knows.

But yeah I’m going to give the flattop a shot. I can just just i buzz it down or shave it off if it looks bad.

@reddog Its true! You see a nice flat….you want one. You then see a shaved head and it’s time to break out the razor again. Breaking out is annoying. I get pimples sometimes on the back of my head too when I grow it out so I have to keep the sides skin tight to avoid that. Shaving keeps it all clean!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 10:48:14 AM »
@Razorhead , well I only made it two weeks! Here are my observations: I started a few small breakouts, they just came along one at a time. I trimmed it to the start of a flattop, shorter on the sides and a nice landing strip on top. When I looked in the mirror and saw a snow white head, I looked and felt old. On Sunday I went to a large car show, and of course saw about 50 guys with smooth shaved heads. So Monday, I got the razor out and immediately felt and looked great. I don't know why I even try when it's obvious I love wearing a bald head.

How are you doing? Flat yet?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 11:29:05 AM »
@reddog I am getting my flat top next week if I can last that long. I’ll have enough length to cut at that point for a flattop. Not sure how long it will last after that.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 02:51:44 PM »
A few years ago, I made it about 8 week, and I went to a barber for a flattop. When I got home I hated it, and shaved my head! What a waste of $25. Here is a pic of it.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 02:54:10 PM »
It’s a dated look, to be honest.

Offline Thathawkguy001

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »
A few years ago, I made it about 8 week, and I went to a barber for a flattop. When I got home I hated it, and shaved my head! What a waste of $25. Here is a pic of it.

I've definitely done the same I've gotten a nice HNT or fade and then saw my bald friends and got the itch and grabbed the trimmers.

I think I tried growing it out this month made it 3 weeks and decided that I should just keep it off for good instead of wavering back and forth 😅

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 01:33:35 PM »
@reddog that is a great flattop!

Just an update, I found a good flattop barber. About an hour drive. I’ve been to the shop before and you definitely get a good haircut. So I get in the chair and said that I wanted to do a flattop. He caped me up, and I mentioned that I normally shave my head. His response ‘the perfect balding man’s haircut’. I should add that his head was shaved. I have a knack for picking bald barbers and not deliberately. He gave me a good flattop, despite my thinning hair. Plus I was happy to just to get cleaned up.

Almost two weeks later, I finished a doctors appointment early, and decided to get my flattop tidied up. So I tried a shop nearby that does ‘military cuts’. I walked in and was asked if I had an appointment. I didn’t. The barber asked me ‘shaving it or a flattop?’ I thought this question was a sign of something or a reality check on a balding guy wanting a haircut that may not be right cut for him. I said flattop and was told the next available appointment was Tuesday. So I scheduled. I go on Tuesday. And the barber started getting to work on my flattop. As the barber was cutting, I knew it wasn’t going well just simply by the angling of the comb in front. I’ve had enough flats to know.

So the barber finished up. I left. Looked in the mirror in my car. And I hated the cut. It was a crappy haircut. I get home. I took a second to think of how I was going to fix it. I said ‘forget it’ it’s too much messed up so I just buzzed it down to a #1. Next day I just shaved it off.

All the clues were there that I was going back to bald. ‘The perfect balding man’s haircut’ comment and being asked by the second barber if I’m shaving it.

My flattop days are officially over. I was just destined to be bald.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 03:05:56 PM »
Thanks, @Razorhead !

Funny you should post, I've been growing again for 2 weeks, just flattened the top and shaved the sides and back today. A few years ago, I had the same situation as you. I grew my hair for about 10 weeks and went to the barbershop for a flattop. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I hated it! I could have done better myself. So obviously the razor came out, and 10 minutes later I was bald again.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 01:20:20 AM »

I don’t think that was a waste at all that was a great looking flat top and in only two weeks I’m jealous as all heck!  It would take me a month or better to grow the full inch in the front like you have and if my hair is thick it is perfectly colored as yours is I’d be thrilled.
Mine on the other hand requires 3 to 4 months of growth and lots of coloring and all of the SMP dots on the scalp to make it look thick enough to be a respectable Flattop!

Still like you I plan on shaving it again on New Year’s Day because I just love the feel of it and I love to be free of the OCD is taking care of the Flattop for a few months each year!