Author Topic: I'm finally sly (or almost)!  (Read 9669 times)

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Sly Guy in Training
I'm finally sly (or almost)!
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
I finally did it! :)

Shaved the hair off last Friday, with no guard. What a scary, but at the same time awesome feeling! It felt strange (still does), but at the same time I liked it. My hair wasn't thinning that much at the moment, but it had started at the front, so I felt it was time. When I look at my dad and one of my brothers, I know what future my hair would have and I thought it'd be better to remove it now than to live with angst over a receding hairline the following years.

This Monday, I was at a dermatologist who removed a lot of cherry angioma from my scalp with the help of laser. Now my head is covered in tiny bruises and I'm not allowed to be in the sun for any longer periods. So I'm using sunscreen and a hat to protect it. Hopefully the bruises will be gone by next week and the cherry angioma will be no more. But I will wear a hat at work, not because I'm ashamed of my bald head, but because of the ugly bruises. As soon as they are gone, I will proudly show my head (even though it badly needs some sun, right now it's very white).

But I feel mostly happy with my decision. I've been thinking about it for quite a while. I'm fairly young, pushing 30. My hair has been thinning slowly for some years, not that much as I've already explained, but it's noticeable. I've had short haircuts which helped me to somewhat hide the thinning, but enough is enough. Now it's summer and a shaved head feels good!

I'm not sure I would like to go down the razorblade route and shave it clean. I feel quite good with the length of it now. Maybe in the future, when my hair is even thinner, I will bring out the foaming gel. :)

It has been almost a week since I shaved my head. I don't think I will go back. Sure, I will see what I think in 30 days time, but right now, this feels like the best choice I could make. I'm a little nervous about peoples reactions though. This week I'm on vacation and the only person I know who has seen it is my girlfriend. She likes it by the way. Will be back at work on Monday. Hopefully I won't get to many negative comments, but you know what? All that matters is that I feel good about myself. What other people think is their business.

Thanks for reading and thanks for an awesome forum. I've been lurking here for some years now. Time for me to pay my respects.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:33:49 PM by CaptainBeefheart »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I'm finally sly (or almost)!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:24:34 PM »
Congratulations! Glad it's working for you. Feel free to post a photo if you can.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 04:19:06 AM »
Here are two pictures. I'm a bit shy, that's why I wont show my full face. But I think it suits me and I like more and more for everyday. The bruises are gone and my head is almost 100% healed now. :)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 05:36:23 AM »
It looks great! If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was a razor shave!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:44:52 AM »
It looks good. I remember thinking some of your thoughts.

The advantage for the razor shave is a very smooth feeling, which I really like over the slight stubble of a clipper shave or buzz.  But when you are ready, give it a try. The look is about the same.

After almost 5 years of head shaving, I still like it every morning ... that fresh feeling.  Summer is a great time for a bald head. 

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »
Thanks guys!

It looks good. I remember thinking some of your thoughts.

The advantage for the razor shave is a very smooth feeling, which I really like over the slight stubble of a clipper shave or buzz.  But when you are ready, give it a try. The look is about the same.

After almost 5 years of head shaving, I still like it every morning ... that fresh feeling.  Summer is a great time for a bald head.
I actually like the feel of the stubble, but will try 100% sly sometime in the future. But I'm happy for now. :)

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
It looks great cptnbeefheart

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
The photos look great.  Glad you're enjoying the new look.

Offline MarkMusicNYC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
Looks awesome!

Keep in mind that if you do decide to go full-on sly with a razor in the future, not only will it not look any different but it'll be exceedingly temporary--clipper with no guard (in the closed position) leaves about a week's worth of hair growth, so it would take you just 7 days to grow the stubble back.

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »
Keep shaving!

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 02:15:11 PM »
Thank you all for commenting. :)

I'm now absolutely sure I won't go back to longer hair. Will definitely try razor shaving someday, but for now, no guard clipper shaving will do.

I notice my head isn't perfectly shaped, there are some bumps here and there, but it doesn't matter. It is what it is. I think it looks OK.

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »
Hope it's okay to bump my own thread, even though there hasn't been any action in it for a long time.

The other day I bought a new electric razor, Philips Headgroom QC5550. Earlier I used a cheap machine, this one is much better. It gets very close to the skin, it almost feels as a razor shave, the stubble is minimal. I'm don't like touching the head afterwards (I like the feel of stubble better), but I like the clean look much more.

I'm so used to my bald head now, I don't think that much about it. It was the best thing to do for me. :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:09:29 AM by CaptainBeefheart »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
Yes, electric shavers can do a good job. Glad you're happy with a bald head. Personally, I prefer the smooth head feel, don't like the stubble.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Themightyjuice

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
I get want you mean about the stubble feel. I really like it too. I chop and change, one week I'm sly (like this week) the next I rock some stubble. But I will say this, you simply cannot beat the smooth feeling of being sly. Definitely try it. Seeing as you're on vacation this would be a good time. It'll be back to stubble in a couple of days.

Looks really good by the way. Actually looks like a razor shave in the photos.

Offline Themightyjuice

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »
If you're sticking with the clippers... may I suggest the Wahl balding clippers. They give a super close cut and leave a perfect length of stubble. That's what I do when I'm not sly