Author Topic: I guess its time..  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Stingy Jack

• Learning the way of Sly
I guess its time..
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
So I was sent here by a member on another forum to try and come to terms with my balding head. I am 24 years old and started to loose my hair about last year. Since then it has progressed quite fast.
I still have thick hair but its really starting to get thin on top. My hairline has also receded a little bit but its not too drastic yet..
Anyway I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it and I don't want to hold on too long to what is inevitable. I know i'm loosing my hair and I know there is really nothing I can do to really stop it. I would like to be ahead of the game rather than late too the party.
My main concern is I don't think I can pull off the buzzed/bald look.

Anyway
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: I guess its time..
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:52:38 AM »
From your pictures, it looks like you've still got a good head of hair and a decent hairline.  Is there a noticeable bald spot on top?  If not, you really don't need to take any action. 

Regarding a buzz, the only way to know is to try it. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
If you look at shaving your head as some sort of punishment, you probably won't like it. Most newbies here usually say they wish they would have shaved it sooner.

A shaved head is a popular hairstyle now. You'll only know if you try it, and it will grow back fast.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Stingy Jack

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:22:40 AM »
There is a bald spot on top here is a picture as well as my current hairline. It probably doesn't look too bad but it seems bad.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
If you are concerned then you don't have to go straight to a buzz or sly.  Take it down gradually, number 4, 3 2, 1 no guard sly.  If you don't like it stop. If you want to keep going, keep going.  It's your head.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »
As Dragon said, you could go shorter slowly to adjust.  You do have enough hair that you do not need to take immediate action, but if you want to take action before it becomes too noticeable, go for it.  The change does take some time for adjustment, going gradual may help with the transition.  Growing more facial hair first may help with the transition as well.

I had took similar action, just much later in life.  I made up my mind way before I started balding that I would rather shave than try to conceal balding with a comb over, or sport the Bozo look.  So I shaved when I noticed thinning, but before most people could tell a difference.  Now I have very little hair on top, but I never had to experience a noticeable balding head in public.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:39:46 PM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »
If you are concerned then you don't have to go straight to a buzz or sly.  Take it down gradually, number 4, 3 2, 1 no guard sly.  If you don't like it stop. If you want to keep going, keep going.  It's your head.

I agree with Dragon , this is the best approach.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:46:11 AM »
From the pictures, your hairline and coverage seem pretty good.  I don't think you need to do anything now, but if you feel you have to do something, take the advice posted by the other guys and go progressively shorter until you get to a length you are happy with.  As your balding progresses, you can go shorter.

As far as pulling it off, we are all apprehensive about making a dramatic change in our appearance - how will we look, what will people say, etc.  The reality is that everyone adjusts pretty quickly.  Our "hairstyle" is not that important to others (as much as we may think we are the center of attention).