Author Topic: Schick Hydro 5 refills/longevity  (Read 8715 times)

Offline daltonfury

• Sly Guy in Training
Schick Hydro 5 refills/longevity
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
I have been using the Schick Hydro 5 on my dome since i went sly a little over a week ago. I was curious to how long they usually last before they aren't as effective. They are very expensive, about 12 dollars for 4 refills, that is simply too much.

I have tried the Mach 3 but it just wasnt as close as I had to go over some spots multiple times and was afraid of irritation. As for a 5 blade vs 3 blade in terms irritation, I dont know if 5 blades going over your head gives you a closer shave but more irritation or if 3 blades gives you less irritation but not as a close of shave.

I am an every day shaver and cannot keep up the the cost of the Schick 5s, i have been using a new one every 3 days, but I am pretty certain that is too frequent.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: Schick Hydro 5 refills/longevity
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »
I switched from the M5 to the Schick Hydro 5 a couple months ago and find I don't get as many "fresh" shaves out of each blade, but the quality of the shave from the Hydro is slightly better IMO.

I shave about 3-5 times a week and can usually get close to one month of quality shaves out of each blade (about 12-20 shaves).  You just have to take care of the cartridge after each shave.  The best thing I've found to preserve the blade's edge is to douse it in rubbing alcohol then air-dry it.  I usually just blow through the back of the cartridge and wipe the front of it off with a towel.  If you feel the blade start to "catch" while you're shaving you should use the blue jean sharpening method.  YouTube it.  I don't use actual blue jeans, but my forearm or a bath towel.  Doing these things will give you far more than 3 days from each cartridge.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:15:11 PM by BillOnBass »
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
I get a much better price at Wal-Mart than that.  The Hydro 5 also gets a break from me since I don't shave below the ears and I always spray the blades down with a 91% rubbing alcohol before I put it away. 

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »
I've found that the SH5 blades do tend to last a while if you take care of them. I have yet to try the alcohol treatment but it sounds like it's a popular means of caring for them.

Also, like Saint said, check WalMart. I think they run around $10 there....which is a little more tolerable.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline daltonfury

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
Has anyone tried the jean sharpening method?

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 05:08:06 AM »
Not tried jean sharpening will hav to see the you tubemany thanks

Offline Derris The Barber

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:32:12 PM »
I have tried it dalton! works great!
-Derris The Barber