Author Topic: Beards going gray fast,what are your thought?  (Read 30840 times)

Offline BaldnBearded

• Sly Jr.
Beards going gray fast,what are your thought?
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
Hey everyone,over the last two years it seems as my hairloss rapidly increased,so did the graying of my beard.I've been using the Just For Men brush in beard dye which has worked really good and given off a very natural look.Been dying the gray for two years now about.When I started my current beard, I let it grow natural for the first two weeks and my chin is turning VERY gray,as is my stache.I have some gray scattered in the cheek area as well.If I were to estimate, I'd say about 50% on my chin has turned gray.My question is,do you guys think I should continue dying it or should I let the gray take over.Gray really doesnt bother me,in a way im kind of excited to go gray,but at the same time I'm only 25 and I feel a gray beard with a bald head may age me a lot.What are your thought?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Beards going gray fast,what are your thought?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:16:53 PM »
Go for it.  No problem w/ using "dye" here, except it gave me a really bad skin reaction.  Gray, well--time marches on so at some point acceptance has to come in, but if you want to have control and it works for you, you're the 24/7 guy with the issue.  It's what works for you. 

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »
Well, I started greying when I was in my 30's.  When Just For Men came out, I was able to get away with just applying it to my chin.  As recently as 5 years ago, I could still look like I was in my 30's when I used it on my goatee.  But at that point, the rest of the beard was getting grey and it was getting to be a bother to apply it to the whole beard.  But the tipping point came when my eyebrows started to turn grey.  So again it is up to you whether or not you dye your beard.  But I do think that Saintc looks great with his grey beard and sly noggin.  Bootedbear has a great grey, almost white, goatee and sly noggin.  Here is what I look like with a bald head and grey beard.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
I obviously have no issue with it -- but then I am twice+ your age.

I'd say go for it if it doesn't bother you.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:01:42 AM »
I started going gray in my late 30s.. and it was just a few on my goatee I could pluck out. Now in my early 40s, My goatee is about 15% gray and the rest had a few hear & there. THATS WHAT I THOUGHT. As some of you know, I've been getting the Laser thing.. SO when all the dark hair fell out, I  had a cpl HUNDRED. (guess not too bad considering the beard contains +/- 250,000 hairs)... ANYWAY, I dye the remaining goatee with a slighter lighter dye then my beard & leaving in a bit of gray... I think it looks a lot better done.. But it is a constant upkeep.. At 25, I deff would do it... I'm almost 20 yrs older & still do... 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »
My goatee is pretty gray but I'm 50 years old. I've earned all those greys.........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline TheBreeze

• Team Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »
I think it just depends on what look you are going for.

I grew a beard out before going sly and there was quite a bit of gray in it.  I actually had quite a few girls tell me that they liked the gray mixed in.  I think it does make the person look a bit older, but that may or may not be a bad thing for you.  I ended up going the just for men route for a little while because I wanted to look younger (I'm 33) and I preferred that look.  They gray obviously can look very good on older guys.  You have a fairly young-looking face, so the gray may work for you without aging you too much. 

I say try both out and see which look you like more. 

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
I never would have guessed that was a dyed beard, but then it's a black and white photo so maybe that masks it.  Is there a way to strip all the dye from the hair so you can see what it looks like?  This discussion is giving me those flashbacks from childhood when my hero Bob Barker seemed to go gray literally overnight.

Mine's been slowly going gray since I first had facial hair.  Part of me is looking forward to it going gray so that I can try out different colors and see myself with red, black, brown, or blonde hair.  I think graying beards look the worst when they are in the very early stages like mine because beard hairs are so thick that one individual gray hair against a background of colored hairs really stands out.  Once you have a significant amount of gray then that problem won't happen anymore.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »
I earned every singly gray hair and I wear them proudly!  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
I started to use Just for Men...and it works well for me...

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:08:17 AM »
I'm 58 and my goatee is silver/white. I'm old and slow so the color affords me no advantage. But, if I was 25 with a silver/white goat I might surprise a few young bucks on the basketball court when I blew by them for a thundering slam dunk right in their young faces. Consider the gray in that scenario a form of subterfuge that can providea significant advantage. There was an MMA fighter a few years ago who shaved the very top of his head to make himself look older. The result was that he scored a significant underdog win over a much more highly touted opponent who looked at him and just saw a guy who was too old to be considered a threat. 
I'm also a big fan of just letting things go natural from the standpoint of honesty. IMO when people are in the habit of using coverups for things like gray hair or slyness that, when taken to extreme, causes me to question their forthrightness. If they can't be truthful about who they are how can they possibly be truthful in what they say?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
IMO when people are in the habit of using coverups for things like gray hair or slyness that, when taken to extreme, causes me to question their forthrightness. If they can't be truthful about who they are how can they possibly be truthful in what they say?

Your whole premise is based on the myth that we are defined by our hair color. There is nothing inherently deceitful about coloring one's hair, beard, or any other grooming technique.  One could just as easily make the argument that guys who shave a full head of hair are trying to appear as something they are not, when in fact they are merely adopting a style that makes them feel more comfortable, confident, and at ease. 

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
just utilize the Just for Men beard product.  It makes the color look natural and gives the impression of a more thick beard.  From your profile picture, looks good
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
My view is that if clipped close it looks much better. The color route never looks natural.I have also been told that the beard makes one look much older,especially when it is graying.I tend to agree.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »
IMO when people are in the habit of using coverups for things like gray hair or slyness that, when taken to extreme, causes me to question their forthrightness. If they can't be truthful about who they are how can they possibly be truthful in what they say?

Your whole premise is based on the myth that we are defined by our hair color. There is nothing inherently deceitful about coloring one's hair, beard, or any other grooming technique.  One could just as easily make the argument that guys who shave a full head of hair are trying to appear as something they are not, when in fact they are merely adopting a style that makes them feel more comfortable, confident, and at ease. 

With you on the shaving of a full head of hair because I have certainly read enough statements in this forum from guys who shaved their heads because it would make them look "bad-ass", which is another way of saying that they want to adopt a look that will keep them from getting picked on.
Something else I referenced was "taking it to extremes". I believe that when a person colors their hair or sprays on a bald spot coverup it is most definitely a form of subterfuge by changing the natural appearance. In this vein the shaving of the head could be a statement of absolute honesty like saying I don't want anything, including hair, to cover up the man underneath.
How does one arrive at the conclusion that it is a myth that we are defined by our hair color? In our consumer oriented society, which is based upon the importance of form over function, hair color is a standard that we have allowed to be implemented in terms of things like employment, dating, etc. Deny it all you will, it does not appear to me to be a myth.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.