Author Topic: First Beard  (Read 2856 times)

Offline os1019

• Sly Guy in Training
First Beard
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:47:37 AM »
Ahoy Mates...
I am thinking of growing a beard for No Shave November but as someone who has never grown a beard before I am turning to you guys for any tips when it comes to growing, cleaning and maintaining a healthy beard. Anything you can share me will be greatly appreciated.  O0

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: First Beard
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:59:59 AM »
I can only tell you" go for it"
changing your look is good :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »
I havent grown one real long yet but what I do for mine is I use some shampoo/conditioner on my beard when Im in the shower. I trim up the stray hairs about once a week. Thats about all I do other than being patient and letting it grow.

Offline Mike_412

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
Be patient and stay away from mirrors.  It's easy to critique things on ourselves that others just don't see so give your beard some time to develop.  Also, facial hair doesn't grow at a uniform length on many guys.  You have to let it grow out a bit and allow for some slower growing hairs to come in.  Give it some time and then decide what length you want to keep it at, whether you want a neckline, etc.

Also, don't make any rash decisions while growing it, especially during the scruffy phase.  Think about it for a day or two.  Prime example is me the other day.  I've been keeping a short, just past scruffy stage beard.  I decide on a whim to go back to a goatee, shave right away, get out of the shower and I'm like "WTF did you just do?"  In the process of growing it back now lol.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:26:17 PM »
Just do it...you will have fun figuring out your grooming pattern.

I shaved my beard and left the Van Dyke...but am going to join in the effort in November.

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
I agree...grow lots of whiskers and then decide your style. Good luck!

Offline os1019

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Guys thanks for the advice...

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
I have not shaved my beard off since 1980.  At first (back at about age 27), it took a long time to grow in the bread. Now it grows in steadily.  I trim about once a week with clippers and guard and use a razor at the edge of my neck to trim up a bit.

Growing up never dreamed of having a beard, but now would not think of going without one.

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »
Don't shave your face for a month and see how you like it. 

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
After a week or two it may itch like crazy...I used some Nivea cream and it helped me...many years ago.

O0

Enter your email address: