Author Topic: Help! What is this? How to fix? Suggestions? Redness, Spots, Acne (Pic)  (Read 8905 times)

Offline bald-smurf

• Learning the way of Sly
OK been shaving head for about two weeks.

I have been having an issue with the back of my neck, specifically in one spot, rest of the head is fine.
This spot always is red and blotchy, I can tone it down some, but never really get rid of it. And now some small acne pimples are forming there too.
I thought it was the razor I was using (Headblade ATX), so I tried a Mach 3 today and this is the worst it has been. (sidenote: really did not like the Mach 3 compared to the Headblade, I felt like I really had to push it down to get it slick, and I actually had a bunch of cuts, which I never had with the Headblade, so will be going back to headblade for future shaves.)

OK the pic below might look really bad, but it is right after shaving, it lightens up a lot and does not seem to be that bad, still bad, but not as bad after 30 mins or so.

My routine:
(I am a shower shaver)

1. Run head under warm water to open pours for min or two.
2. Use head scrub to exfoliate.
3. Quick rinse maybe a little shampoo.
4. Shave with head slick and head blade. (first WTG, then ATG)
5. Put on head clear and/or witch hazel, sometimes both (let sit for few mins while I wash body)
6. Do a cold rinse of head to close pores up for a min or however long I can take it.
7. Lightly pat head dry. Sometimes use ice cube all over head, especially in the bad spot on back of neck.
8. Put on head lube moisturizer or Aloe Vera Gel (lately Aloe Vera Gel, because that seems to soothe it and lighten it up a lot more.)
9. That's it.

Any help, tips, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I really want to keep it shaved and slick!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Help! What is this? How to fix? Suggestions? Redness, Spots, Acne (Pic)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »
It doesn't look too bad. What that looks like to me is the classic case of "stork bite". Most people have it on the back of the neck especially when the hair is short or shaved. It's not too big of a deal, but you can always see a dermatologist to make sure.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:18:16 PM by SirHarry214 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline customdoors1

• Big Baldie
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Pete
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »
That sh*t would bother me too! No one wants to walk around like that but you putting clear head on and washing off defeats the purpose of it really. Here's some stuff to help you and if you do this you will notice it will get much better.  First off hats, pillow cases etc need to be washed often.
Second wash your head 2-3 times a day!
Third use Head Wash or Cetaphil first
Then Head Shed, let it sit a few mins then wash off.
Then use Head Slick you don't need a lot but make sure it's nice and slick.
I let it sit a minute then I'll go with the grain first, rinse with water and lather back up, now go against the grain!
Once you are done shaving then wash with Head Wash or Cetaphil again and cold rinse. Pat dry don't rub with a towel. Now you use clear head it will burn some it's working. I let that sit and dry a few minutes then us Head Blade Matte or Glossy and you will be good to go! Good Luck this will work if you do it this way. If you have any other issues then last thing I would say is maybe try the head blade sport which is what I prefer with the Gillette sensor excel 2 blade they give me a nice smooth shave without having a 5 or 6 blade constantly going over the same spot.
Big Baldie
😎😎😎

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
Does it feel sensitive to the touch? Any chance it's just razor burn?
If not then I'd just go see a dermatologist for advice. Keep it well moisturised in the meantime.

Offline lightbulp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »
as SirHarry214 told, i believe it is a "stork bite".

I also have a "stork bite" and you can see my picture in this post here ---> http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=21535.msg315055#msg315055
Please forgive me for the mistakes in my posts.
English is not my native language.

Offline bald-smurf

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »
In the pic it was freshly shaved and really irritated, usually it is not that bad with my other razor (headblade). After a bit the irritation goes away and the bumps/acne looking things kind of disappear. But the red blotches still remain. It seems like they are not as red though.

Does it feel sensitive to the touch? Any chance it's just razor burn?
If not then I'd just go see a dermatologist for advice. Keep it well moisturised in the meantime.

No, surprisingly it is not sensitive at all. It feels smooth to the touch too, just like the rest of my head.

It doesn't look too bad. What that looks like to me is the classic case of "stork bite". Most people have it on the back of the neck especially when the hair is short or shaved. It's not too big of a deal, but you can always see a dermatologist to make sure.

as SirHarry214 told, i believe it is a "stork bite".

I also have a "stork bite" and you can see my picture in this post here ---> http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=21535.msg315055#msg315055

Wow you guys might be right about the stork bite. After my head calmed done (became less irritated), it looked exactly like yours.
I tried looking up stork bite and what to do about it and there seems not to be that much info about adults having it, mostly babies.
What do you do about it? Is there anything you can do about it to make it go away?

That sh*t would bother me too! No one wants to walk around like that but you putting clear head on and washing off defeats the purpose of it really. Here's some stuff to help you and if you do this you will notice it will get much better.  First off hats, pillow cases etc need to be washed often.
Second wash your head 2-3 times a day!
Third use Head Wash or Cetaphil first
Then Head Shed, let it sit a few mins then wash off.
Then use Head Slick you don't need a lot but make sure it's nice and slick.
I let it sit a minute then I'll go with the grain first, rinse with water and lather back up, now go against the grain!
Once you are done shaving then wash with Head Wash or Cetaphil again and cold rinse. Pat dry don't rub with a towel. Now you use clear head it will burn some it's working. I let that sit and dry a few minutes then us Head Blade Matte or Glossy and you will be good to go! Good Luck this will work if you do it this way. If you have any other issues then last thing I would say is maybe try the head blade sport which is what I prefer with the Gillette sensor excel 2 blade they give me a nice smooth shave without having a 5 or 6 blade constantly going over the same spot.

Thanks for the reply.
I will try next time to shave head in the order you explained.
I thought you were only supposed to keep clear head on for a minute or two then wash it off. I have no idea where I heard that from or why I thought that, lol.

When you say Cetaphil you are talking about the bar soap right?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:16:33 PM by bald-smurf »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:47:56 PM »
@lightbulp: Welcome back, hope things are well and thanks for posting the link to your story.

@baldsmurf: You could see a dermatologist about some bleaching cream or maybe invest in some concealer, but I think the appearance is barely noticeable and would leave it alone. Just take extra care when shaving in that area.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline lightbulp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
Thank you    SirHarry214  :)

@bald-smurf just leave it alone and you (and others around you) will get used to it  8)
Please forgive me for the mistakes in my posts.
English is not my native language.