Author Topic: "Vanity is an Expensive Thing". This got me thinking  (Read 10378 times)

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
"Vanity is an Expensive Thing". This got me thinking
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »
Razor just posted a link to a USA today article about a company that had a $149 DNA test to determine whether or not you'd go bald. On that article was a reader's quote that I thought was great .... Vanity is an expensive thing.

Well, if we're shaving our domes, and we (or most of us) think it improves our appearance, aren't we doing it for vanity's sake?
Not questioning the decision to go sly, just wondering about the "expensive" part of the quote.

Is it financially cheaper to shave your head? The following is a quick analysis of costs....
GOING SLY
Headblade, one time charge of $10, which would offset the cost of a couple of decent combs/brushes, so that's a wash
Shave cream/gel....I'm guessing anywhere between $0.01 and $0.05 a day depending on amount used & type of gel/cream
After shave/lotion...for me, it's $7 a bottle, which usually lasts a month. However, I use it on my face also, so $3.50 of the $7 is for the dome. $0.12 a day.
Razor blades. I use atra generics for the Headblade, which I believe I can get for roughly $0.50 a blade. Since I get one or two weeks from a single blade, we'll call it 10 days a blade. So, $0.05 a day.
HeadBlade Adapters: $5.50 for a set of 3, each adapter last 6 months, so $0.01 a day.
The cost of Water is a wash (no pun intended) since I would use water anyway.
So, shaving the Schrodome costs $0.21 a day.

HAVING HAIR (granted, I haven't priced these type of products in a long time, so my figures could be off)
Shampoo...Guys can spend anywhere between $1 and $10 on up for shampoo. I'm guessing a bottle will last a month, so $0.03 to $0.33 a day. When I did use shampoo, I would use Neutrogena T-Gel, which was $8.99 a bottle, so $0.30 a day.
Conditioner - $1 to $10. Using bargain stuff costs about $2 a bottle, which would also last a month, so $0.07 a day.

So, having hair on the Schrodome cost me $0.37 a day.

There you have it, Vanity for the Schro is NOT an Expensive Thing  O0. Additionally, NO PRICE can be put on the relief I have gotten from seborrheic dermatitis  O0 O0. That is PRICELESS8)

Please note, no animals were harmed in conducting this highly scientific test. The above claims have not been reviewed by the Food & Drug Administration, MoveOn.org, CNN (aka The Clinton News Network), or AirAmerica.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:24:27 PM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: "Vanity is an Expensive Thing". This got me thinking
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »
Great analysis Schro, but what about the barber fee, mine was $30 a pop, 9-10 per year.  Could be a $1 a day!!!! And a few pennies for the electricity to run the blow dyer and replacements every couple of years. 

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »
and schro hits another out of the park. good job buddy. but isn't this time of year busy? shouldn't you be doing some tax crap or something?

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »
Someone has too much time on their hands LOL.....thanks for breaking that down for us there schro....would have never been able to figure that out...i aint good with numbers.....oh wait....dont say that too loud...i sell carpeting..lol

Timmmayy!

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:15:26 PM »
Great analysis Schro, but what about the barber fee, mine was $30 a pop, 9-10 per year.  Could be a $1 a day!!!! And a few pennies for the electricity to run the blow dyer and replacements every couple of years. 

All valid points, Saintc! The Lovely Mrs. Schro clipped my hair every couple of weeks, so that was free. Wait a minute, I had to pay in other ways!  :-\

Offline SonOfKrypton

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the cost analysis Schro!  I've been wondering about that for a while.  But I think a better cost analysis would be "going and staying sly" vs. "fighting baldness".  So in reality, they're would be a couple things to add unto that second analysis of yours, making it a hell of a LOT more expensive to fight the sly.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

All valid points, Saintc! The Lovely Mrs. Schro clipped my hair every couple of weeks, so that was free. Wait a minute, I had to pay in other ways!  :-\

Such a life, my wife can't cut hair even when I had it.  But she makes great reservations for dinner :*)) :*))

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
Thanks for the cost analysis Schro!  I've been wondering about that for a while.  But I think a better cost analysis would be "going and staying sly" vs. "fighting baldness".  So in reality, they're would be a couple things to add unto that second analysis of yours, making it a hell of a LOT more expensive to fight the sly.

Hey SoK, there are a ton of things you could throw into this equation (the cost of rogaine, rugs, drugs, etc etc.) I was just doing the basic shave vs. comb comparison.

I think the more you throw into it, it's actually more economical to go sly.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »
Got some great points, Schro.  Sly definitely saves me money, but it's not how much money I save by being totally SLY.  It's really what I gain, the confidence is the biggest.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
Totally, KC! I just did this as an exercise to add to the list of reasons to go sly.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 04:54:49 AM »
Got some great points, Schro.  Sly definitely saves me money, but it's not how much money I save by being totally SLY.  It's really what I gain, the confidence is the biggest.

Great point KC.

i can see it in a commercial:

Cost of HeadBlade...... $10

Cost of HeadSlick to lube up the noggin'...... $7

Cost of sunblock to prevent sunburn....... $8

New found confidence from going SLY........... Priceless..........

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:06:44 AM »
Great point KC.

i can see it in a commercial:
Cost of HeadBlade...... $10
Cost of HeadSlick to lube up the noggin'...... $7
Cost of sunblock to prevent sunburn....... $8
New found confidence from going SLY........... Priceless..........

You got it right Mike, and any one of us could be the spokesperson for this ad.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »
mikekoz...well said, brother. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 06:17:19 AM »
OK, so I'm starting the workday (checking emails, first cup of coffee, etc) and I have ESPN on. Up comes a commercial for the Bosley Hair Replacement program. All these Bosely customers talking about the confidence they've gotten from getting their hair back. I'm not discounting that, different strokes for different folks I guess. I just know it would be more than obvious if I went to Bosley after being sly one day and then show up at the golf course with a full head of hair the next day.

Anyway, I mention Bosley in this topic because I went on their website to find out how much getting a rug would cost. Of course, they said

There are many factors that can affect the price for each individual. The 4 factors below are part of the process in determining the cost of your hair transplant procedure:
1. Your Personal Goals
2. Your Time
3. Your Classification of Hair Loss
4. Financing

If you financed it, the website said it'd cost between $70 - $310 a month  :o, but it didn't say for how many months. WOW!!!

OK, just another reason that going sly was the right choice for me.  O0

Schro

jusbnme

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 07:08:33 AM »
Good points bro.

Enter your email address: