Author Topic: How to deal with extreme oily head?  (Read 11667 times)

Offline Gary1236

• Sly Jr.
How to deal with extreme oily head?
« on: September 11, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »
alright so after im done shaving i put lotion on my head it makes it all slick smooth and eliminates dryness and flakes but 2-3 hours later its so greasy if u run your hand over your dome your hand will legit be soaked in oil... its legit horrible ive tried wiping it with tissue paper and it makes it very dry and flaking and uncomfortable

ive also tried not using moisturizer but every time i dont put the lotion on its EXTREMELY flakey and dry

i have no idea what to do... also these oils put a super shine on your head ive been insulted many times

"its to shiny... its blinding"

also this girl at my school LOVES to touch my head and give me head rubs but she said the oil needs to go it makes her hands soaked and its just awkward....

does anyone have suggestions what to do? please it would be great... maybe its the lotions im using thats causeing excessive oils i dont know.

Offline invaray

• Sly
Re: How to deal with extreme oily head?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »
Less is more, stop using lotion or any other products. After shaving use soap and water and a cool water rinse.  If you keep moisturizing you are preventing dead skin from flaking off so when you wash and don't use you are back to dry and flaky just stop using it and no more extreme oil or dryness.
shine and share

Offline Lay

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
lemon peels bro ! grab a lemon peel with some juice on it of course & rub it into your scalp. i do this when i feel my head is oily,one time is enough to keep your head non-oily through the day. you can rinse after application but i don't so it's up to you.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
You say your head is oily ,but then you say if you don't moisturize it dry. I think you should stop the moisturizing. During the day use a wash rag with plain warm water and wipe the oil and any flakes that form. This is what works for me and I also have your problem to some degree.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
My scalp used to be oily when I first started shaving but it doesn't happen anymore.  I think the scalp stops producing so much oil once it gets used to not being covered with hair.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:52:31 PM »
I use witch hazel first then an alcohol based splash after that.  I have very greasy oily skin and always have the same issue as you... And MUCH worse then usual when using a lotion/balm.  Switch to alcohol based and have never looked back.  Never greasy anymore but I don't dry out either because I'm naturally so "moist" (lol).  Try, just for one week, ditching the lotions or "moisturizing" anything and go with a good old fashioned alcohol based splash.  If you don't have any you can just use rubbing alcohol post shave or go to walmart and get any of the "manly classics" (aqua velva, brut, Stetson, etc) and give them a go.  They are all under $4 and have a variety of scents. 

In the winter time I stick to this same routine however I do keep a small bottle of 100% natural (clear) aloe vera gel in my cabinet for those very cold days where I may become a little dry but even that is very rare.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:59 PM »
I have the exact same problem but I awalys had olive skin.  A good diet and plenty of water helps. If I go on the piss it can be worse. Try not to wash it all the time. I use an oil mask sometimes. Seems to help
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:54:13 AM »
What alcohol based aftershave do you use? What about just using witch hazel?

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »
Well first and foremost, I highly advise all shavers of any sort to use witch hazel after your final rinse and before your application of preferred aftershave product.  It's a mild astringent which cleans your skin and is a natural anti inflammatory which is ideal for post shave soothing.  It's cheap and works great.  I bought a little 4oz travel size mister bottle that I keep full of witch hazel and it lasts forever.  It's also great for bug bites, poison, and my wife even uses some in her hair of it gets oily.

As for aftershave:
I'm a huge fan of classic aqua velva blue.  It smells great and feels even better.  If anyone tells you it "smells like old man" tell them to go to hell, politely of course haha.  They also have a flavor under the name of ice sport which is also great and much more of a modern sporty scent.  Adidas has one named "pulse" that I'm 50/50 on. Some days I think it smells great, other days I feel like I borrowed it from a chin-strap faux-hawk wearing bro. Pinuad clubman is an awesome classic barber shop musk scent but you'll probably have to go to say sally beauty or walgreens for that.  Not a bad one to have around, same with the classic aqua velva blue.
Now these are some of the typical grocery store aftershaves. I typically use osage rub on my head and face because it's got soo much cooling and soothing menthol it will make you twitch for a few minutes.  For real. Also a 14oz bottle of the stuff is like $6.  This stuff has been around probably longer then your grandfather.  My absolute hands down no questions asked favorite of all time aftershave is the proraso green splash.  It's cooling, soothing, amazing. It's a bit on the pricey side at usually $14 for 3.4oz but I honestly could care less.  This is the best stuff that has ever touched my skin.

What I suggest is you go to maggardrazors.com (I am not employed or affiliated, just a regular customer) and search "after shave samples".  They sell these little like 1/2 oz mister bottles so you can try a bunch.  You can also explain your situation and they can make suggestions.  Just please make sure you try osage rub and proraso green splash.

Also,  when you become hooked on safety razor shaving after the serious head first dive you are about to take... Don't blame me! Haha.

Hope this all helps and happy shaving sly brother!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:07:19 PM by SlyCatCrossing »

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:35 PM »
Proraso or Usage rub in my case and why?

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 05:38:22 AM »
Witch hazel then osage rub are my regular go-to's for their soothing properties.  Also,  I am a professional craft brewer which means my work day is long, hot, and pretty much all manual labor and I am not required to shave for work so I don't shower and shave until after work.  In the mornings I'll splash on some witch hazel then some osage rub to help wake me up and sooth my skin before a long day of sweating.  Now after work (or in the morning on weekends) I'll finish my regimine with usually the proraso splash.  It smells and feels great while soothing freshly shaved skin like nothing else however since it is so pricey, and I don't need to smell nice for work, I save it only for post shave. 

I may be biased because I sweat a Lot and live in a tropical climate doing manual labor but nothing beats a strong mentholated aftershave for me.

The osage rub is pretty intense.  My wife always comes in to talk to me around the time I put it on and she says it looks like I just got pepper spray to the face haha but I assure you, it's simply watery eyes from the extreme menthol cooling.

Keep in mind my suggestions are just what I use.  There are so any products out there.  Again, go to a reputable supplier and buy some samples.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 06:17:02 AM »
Do you use these because you also have oily skin? That's what I meant. Sorry.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
No reason to be sorry and I apologize for the confusion!  I'm sure my information overload was... Exactly that. 

I use the witch hazel more for its "cleaning" but it is also great for oily skin (witch hazel is actually better for acne then any medicated toner or cream also).  As for the actual aftershaves, yes I do use those because I have oily skin.  Any type of balm or lotion or anything greasy gives me the issues you spoke of and even worse: full blown pubescent pimples lol.  Alcohol based aftershaves stopped that immediately.  Now I should clarify, I do not use the specific products osage rub and/or proraso green splash due to oily skin but in general use alcohol based aftershaves due to oily skin.  I've just found that I prefer those two specific products over other alcohol based aftershaves because of their cooling, soothing feeling and awesome scents.  I'm also a huge fan of mentholated shave products which you may or may not be.  Regardless, it's not the mentholated or smell aspect that helps with oily skin... It's the fact that the base carrier fluid is alcohol (sometimes they sneak some witch hazel on there as well).  If you want to tread the waters of alcohol based aftershaves without a huge financial commitment or waiting for a bunch of samples in the mail just go to the toiletry area of your preferred grocery store and buy a cheap bottle of whichever alcohol based aftershave you enjoy the scent of the most.  Also FYI, the ingredients wont just say "alcohol" most of the time.  It's usually something like sd alcohol or alcohol denat or denatured alcohol... It's all the same stuff.  But you will always see the word alcohol in there somewhere.

Hope that helps clarify!

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
I used to use HeadLube matte lotion and while it worked ok for some of the day my head looked oily again later on.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 05:32:52 AM »
Headblade as a company is awesome, their customer service is great, and most of their products work well, but personally I hated the headlube.  It cause so much more "grease" and I had a layer of slime on me all day, and I didn't even use that much. When I started sweating I had these white drops running down my face... That stuff isn't for me