Author Topic: Newbie - please help me  (Read 11401 times)

Offline Office pro

• Learning the way of Sly
Newbie - please help me
« on: April 29, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »

Gents,

Please help me, I've been wearing a hair system for 7 years but have, I think, plucked up the balls to get rid, for obvious reasons.

I've even booked a hols to tan my head but my issue is how to deal with people I see on a daily basis, how do you explain suddenly being bald.

I have little hair on top and plan to shave the sides, you will see from the pics.  I wish I never got the damn rug !

So I'm wondering when I'm on holiday and I get rid and liberate, will my head tan OK in one week of hot sun ,do I buzz or clean shave the lot and what do I say?

Hopefully being sly will suit me, have big ears but I think OK head shape.  I'm short but quite well built and will continue to buff up.

Any comments appreciated.

Many thanks

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Newbie - please help me
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 07:33:15 PM »
Welcome, friend!

First, don't be so hard on yourself. Many guys have gone the route of the rug only to either shave it or just go natural. As far as tanning, it's going to take some time, too much exposure on a freshly bald head can hurt more than help. You may get reactions in the beginning, but in time, it will be a non-issue. Just think of it as another haircut. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
If you shave you can tell people that it was a concours decision and they never need know about the rug. Life will be a lot easier

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »
I would just go for the clean shave. You have to be careful, but the color should even out pretty good in a week.

When I suddenly shaved off a full head of hair, I just said I got a new summer haircut. Almost all the comments were positive. I would bet you weren't fooling very many people, and they already knew you were wearing a hairpiece.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:45:45 AM »
I'll echo what the others have said.  You'll get reactions and questions at first, but they will subside pretty quickly.   I'll bet most of your co-workers know you wear a hairpiece, so they know you are balding already.  Go for the complete shave and most people will accept it.  You don't have to labor over explaining yourself.  Simply say you decided to try something different.  you don't have to justify why you did it because it's your head and your choice.  Lastly, don't try to tan your scalp too quickly.  A burned, peeling scalp is both painful and unsightly!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »
To add to what the other members have said, any reactions you may get (probably very few) by going sly will be outweighed by the confidence you feel by not wearing a hairpiece.    Use a good SPF lotion when going out in the sun.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:24:11 AM »
I had a full head of hair when I decided to go sly.  I had been wanting to for a long time.  So, I got a lot of comments and a lot of questions.  I chose humor as the way to deal with it. 

"Where's your hair?"  "Hell if I know"
"What happened to your hair?"  "I don't know.  I woke up this morning and it was gone!"

It helps that I'm a natural smart-ass.  Whatever approach you choose, the only opinion that counts is yours.  Do whatever makes you happy.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:31:23 AM »
"I decided upon a new hair style"

That's it. Nothing else need be said. Why should you have to justify personal decisions to anyone else?

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
I completely understand your situation.  I was a Hair Club member for fifteen years and had my system removed two weeks ago.  My stylist shaved the rest of my natural hair and I haven't looked back since.  I was apprehensive about it but have no regrets.  I have grown a goatee to somewhat offset my bald head and the feedback from others has been overwhelmingly positive.  I wish you luck and if you're able to shave your head then more power to you.

Offline Office pro

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 07:10:09 AM »
Gents, I did it. At times I feel fantastic but I'm dreading seeing people I know.  Hopefully this will pass quickly.

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »
Congratulations!  This is a great look for you.  All of your apprehension should be eliminated in no time at all.  You own this.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »
Looks fantastic

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »
You look great! Very nice bald head, you'll probably get lots of compliments.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
It looks great, congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, in your first photo, were the marks on top of your head from the glue that held your hairpiece in place? Just wondering.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: