Author Topic: headblade causeing MASSIVE irritation  (Read 9471 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: headblade causeing MASSIVE irritation
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 10:03:53 AM »
To Tyler's response, I'd just add that proper prep of the scalp is a very important step in avoiding razor burn.  Make sure you wet your scalp well with hot water and apply enough shaving cream.  Keep the cream very moist and reapply it if you are making multiple swipes.  Better to use a little too much than not enough.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »
I find the opposite of most with my head blade.  I actually HAVE to apply a little extra pressure.  If I don't apply pressure, like the instructions state, then it basically bounces all over my head which misses spots while also gouging spots and making me have to do like double digit passes which causes more irritation.  I found, for me, adding some pressure was a noticeable and immediate improvement in my experience with the head blade.  Also rinse off the cart before AND after EVERY use with iso alcohol, this cut down on bumps and irritation by atleast 40% alone.  I shave in the shower but I don't wash my head first...this will sound funny but roll with me here.. My skin is so naturally oily that I've found the less products I use the better and if I wash my head first I strip those oils which actually severely help razor glide for me and I have no issues with 'bacteria' clogging pores because I am literally scraping off said oils with each pass. Also witch hazel is your best friend.  Don't get hung up on the bacon smell, it dissipates within minutes and your aftershave/cologne of choice will mask it.  Most sky guys swear by 100% natural aloe Vera gel as a last step.  I loved the shine and protection bu my oily skin with this Florida heat covered in aloe gel... Just led to more irritation.  I do cold rinse, witch hazel, and aftershave splash flavor of choice and nothing more.  My skin gets better by the day.

Good luck brother!
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »
I tried the Headblade and didnt like it. I currently use a Mach3 which is great.

You really should lather your scalp fully with proper shaving soap / cream mixed in a bowl with hot water.

Always go 'with' the grain first. Then, after that pass, go against the grain. I usually do 3 passes myself each shave. Last pass is just 'tweaking'.

Use 'Bump Patrol' after shave.

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
  • Est. Sly Warrior since 2011.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »
Many wise sly brothers have added much to what I would have already recommended. I have very sensitive skin so I tend to use a warm rag and wrap it around my scalp to loosen the hair fibers and then apply a small amount of Cremo Cream or Headblade Cream and distribute it around my head. I have noticed that while I enjoy using the Headblade, I CANNOT go against the grain after shaving with the grain. My hair is too coarse. I usually follow the sides with a Mach 3. I tend to get irritation around the back bottom sometimes. If you are not showing any improvement after three weeks (providing you shave every other day or whatever) I would change to the Mach 3 or a Wahl Five Star Shaver (which gets rid of the need to wet shave.) Good luck sly warrior! Happy shaving.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »
Yea exactly, if for some reason it doesn't improve after a few weeks you can always try an electric shaver.  I actually had tremendous success with, and still use in time "emergencies", a basic $30 remington rotary face shaver.  I prefer a blade but I'm not opposed to the electric and it sure gave me a pretty close shave with 0 irritation ever

Offline Gary1236

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »
what do you guys think about the bald eagle electric shaver anyone have it i was thinking about getting it

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
While i don't have personal experience with it I considered it strongly and decided against it.  I just looked at it as it provides no different result then a typical rotary face shaver at anywhere from 2-4x the cost.  Think of it like this, your only difference is the way you hold it.  Think of the bald eagle as an electric headblade while a regular face shaver more like a stick razor (only in terms of hand positoning). I guess the same arguement could be made about the head blade however headblades are cheap, sometimes free if you catch them during rebate time like I did, bald eagle shavers are not. I would highly suggest going to your local department store of choice and buying a lower end electric shaver to try first.  Also the first week or two of regular electric had shaves me be a little much on your skin but I promise it goes away quickly as your skin toughens up.  This "toughening" also has great improved my blade shave results as well.  No reason not to try it

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
Try a two blade for a while .The results are good and do it once every other day.One or two of my mates found the 3 blade gave massive irritation as well . Take your time shaving as well
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »
I agree kerryman, the fewer blades, the less irritation. That's why I like my double edge razor, never any irritation.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »
I'm fairly new to head shaving( about a month) and I tried and liked the headblade atx. The only issue I have had is the cartridge seems to come out of the adapter fairly often. Anyone else have this issue?

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 05:21:10 AM »
I'm fairly new to head shaving( about a month) and I tried and liked the headblade atx. The only issue I have had is the cartridge seems to come out of the adapter fairly often. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes - I do find that some fall off of the adaptor more than I would like it to, sometimes changing the adaptor works.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 06:32:58 AM »
My atx held blades great until the first time I dropped it.  From there I occasionally lose the cart, it seems like the impact knocked the adapter a little loose. It's nothing terrible though and I do have a back up adapter.  I'm pretty sure head blade includes a new adapter in every pack of (their) blades so I would assume head blade understands you may have to change it quite often.  Mine is going on 2 months and loose but still good enough.

Enter your email address: