Author Topic: Let's not forget Shaving Oil  (Read 20224 times)

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
Re: Let's not forget Shaving Oil
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:09:05 PM »
I was curious enough about the tea tree oil to give it a shot.  Expensive stuff man!  $12 CAD for a 25 ml bottle! So I got home (to the motel) and decided to shave.  I applied 10 drops evenly smeared across my head and boy did it sting...  and stink!  HOLY CRAP!  It was way too dry to shave with so I applied another 10 drops.  The smell was horrible and there was no way I was gonna put anymore of that stinging, stinking crap on my head.  So I dipped my HB in mineral oil and that worked out not too bad.  It got nice and close.... really close.
Has anyone else tried the tea tree oil?  Any suggestions?
I'm Brian and so is my wife!

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »
The Shave Secret oil says "don't add more oil, add more water."  Maybe its the same with other oils as well.  I don't use the oil much, once in a while I'll get a bottle and use it under Headslick.  I didn't care for it by itself.

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »
hmmm, sounds reasonable.  I'll give it another try with water and see how it goes.  Hopefully it'll toned the smell down a little too.
Thanks Medic.

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »
Ya I tried the tea tree oil again using the rationale of more water, not more oil and it did seem to work.  2nd time around, I didn't get the stinging sensation but the smell was still there.  I think 1/2 the problem I'm experiencing with the tt oil is the blades I am using on the HB.  I bought the attra dbls but I don't like them at all.  1/2 way throught this morning's shave I switched to the mach III and found it much better.  Once I get some decent blades for the HB, I'll try again.

Offline medicineman

• Head shaver/Beard grower
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
I was curious enough about the tea tree oil to give it a shot.  Expensive stuff man!  $12 CAD for a 25 ml bottle! So I got home (to the motel) and decided to shave.  I applied 10 drops evenly smeared across my head and boy did it sting...  and stink!  HOLY CRAP!  It was way too dry to shave with so I applied another 10 drops.  The smell was horrible and there was no way I was gonna put anymore of that stinging, stinking crap on my head.  So I dipped my HB in mineral oil and that worked out not too bad.  It got nice and close.... really close.
Has anyone else tried the tea tree oil?  Any suggestions?
Tea Tree oil isn't meant to be used by itself but it is amazing stuff.  Try mixing it with another oil like Olive Oil or Eucalyptus Oil.  Olive Oil is cheap and found most anywhere.  I am serious about the Olive Oil.  It is one of the first ingredients listed on Hot Six Oil.

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »
Thanks Medman, I'll try that.  Nice beard by the way.   O0

Offline medicineman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 08:55:29 PM »
Thanks Medman, I'll try that.  Nice beard by the way.   O0
No problem and thank you.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 12:36:45 PM »
Olive oil is extremely good for the skin as well. My wife uses it in the bathtub all the time.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 12:44:16 PM »
Welcome Ottawa.    Let's make that Paul squared.  Gonna give oil a try instead of my usual gel. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline medicineman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
I went through a phase where all I used was Olive Oil as a pre-shave, shave, and post shave oil.  I even bought a nice little jar to store it in for the bathroom.  I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  It works very well and keeps the skin soft.  Only thing is, it doesn't soak in very well, so I would leave it sit on my head for awhile, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. 

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 04:46:28 PM »
 :/OSorry to be so conventional, guys, but Aveeno Therapeutic gel is the best. It diminishes razor burn and irritation.  The oil sounds chic, but after trying it, I'll stick with a modern product. The oil, including baby oil, is effective in achieving a nice shine after shaving. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

BaldRob

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 05:05:29 PM »
:/OSorry to be so conventional, guys, but Aveeno Therapeutic gel is the best. It diminishes razor burn and irritation.  The oil sounds chic, but after trying it, I'll stick with a modern product. The oil, including baby oil, is effective in achieving a nice shine after shaving. Professor Melon

Au contraire (don't grade my spelling) sly Prof!  IMHO, oils that are created especially for shaving are far superior to any gel or cream...  Used by itself (keep it wet) or in conjunction with a gel or a cream gives a great shave every time!

If I am traveling or have a reason to shave everyday (I'm a every other day shaver), I use KoS Alpha Shaving Oil because it has never caused irritation or razor burn.  Everything else that I've used, including HeadSlick, on a daily basis leaves me with some type of razor burn/irritation...

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »
Only thing is, it doesn't soak in very well, so I would leave it sit on my head for awhile, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. 
Did you ever try preheating the oil?  I bought some extra virgin - how does one be EXTRA virgin anyway? - today and was thinking about heating it up a little before applying it.  My thinking was that maybe it would open up the pores a little more and allow for a closer shave.  I am on the right track or will I just smell like dinner?

Offline medicineman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 11:59:49 PM »
Only thing is, it doesn't soak in very well, so I would leave it sit on my head for awhile, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. 
- today and was thinking about heating it up a little before applying it.  My thinking was that maybe it would open up the pores a little more and allow for a closer shave.  I am on the right track or will I just smell like dinner?
I would let the Olive Oil sit in a sinkful of hot water for a little while to warm it up.  I thought about warming in in the microwave but then thought that might get it too hot and break it down or possibly burn me.  I don't know if it helped open the pores but the warm oil sure feels nice.  So, right track you are on young Jedi.

Offline dieseldan04

• Dieseldan04
  • Sly
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 01:42:30 PM »
I just bought some King Of Shaves Alpha Oil and tried it out last night.  That stuff is amazing, much better than my old Williams mug soap or the Edge Gel I have been using.  The next thing I'm gonna do is try it on my face the next time I get out my old straight razor and do my barbershop shave.
Dieseldan04

Shine On Fellow Chrome Domers!