Author Topic: baby oil  (Read 7890 times)

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
baby oil
« on: November 15, 2006, 02:13:36 PM »
 :) Cap'n Tyler and mates: what do you think about applying baby oil a couple of hours after very close shaving? Does it have any healing properties or does it just feel soothing? It does help the shine, but leaves a certain greasiness, which is noticeable on the pillow, hence a laundering issue with beloved ball-and-chain. Observations? Professor Melon

Embrace the bald truth

Offline BugMan

• Sly Jr.
Re: baby oil
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 06:54:48 PM »
Head Blade and Bald Guyz make a few products that work well and are non greasy.  I would break out awful if I used baby oil.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:46:09 AM »
HappyHarry did a post on shaving with baby oil.  You can view the thread here: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=180.0.

He may be able to help you out when he gets back from vacation.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:35:11 PM »
Professor,

Tyler is a wise man, you should definitely check out my review. As far as healing properties
are concerned: get Johnson's Baby Oil with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E.

Here's how that particular bottle looks like:

There's also the regular Baby Oil by Johnson's, but for your purposes you want to get
the above product.

Aloe Vera and Vitamin E help the skin to heal and regenerate. It's an excellent choice as an
after shave product once you're done shaving. Just apply a few drops on your wet scalp and
wipe it off with a clean towel, and you're good to go.

However, it's worth trying out baby oil as a shaving oil as well. You'll get an unbelievably safe shave
with no nicks or cuts, and very little to no irritation compared to other products I've tried so far.
There are a few drawbacks, though.

I've posted a thorough review in the product reviews section. Here's the link:

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=188.0

Hope this helps...

Harry
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:02:36 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline AdamsvilleAce

• Sly Jr.
    • JD's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:48:50 AM »
I use it right after I shave(no wait time) I only use little and it is not a name brand oil,just some store brand product to mositen the scalp a little.
BALDIES!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody ain't able!!!!!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_112/563880/samp0f2d16106fd3e898.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 10:51:03 AM »
I use it right after I shave(no wait time) I only use little and it is not a name brand oil,just some store brand product to mositen the scalp a little.

Thanks for sharing that with us AdamsvilleAce!  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 10:58:31 AM »
Great tip, AdansvilleAce!  Welcome to the group!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 12:53:30 PM »
Hi Adamsville Ace,

great to have you with us!

Regarding the baby oil: it's fine using a no-name product instead of Johnson's.
I only mentioned Johnson's as it is the one brand people will easily find in stores
and as I wasn't sure if there were any other brands that had baby oils with Aloe Vera and
Vitamin E added to them.

Again, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more of you here.

Harry
Who loves ya, baby?

jusbnme

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »
I used a new combo today and it worked great.  I was getting constant irritation on the dome from going against the grain no matter what I did, or no matter what razor I would use.  I even gave up on the HeadBlade that I actual thought was a good concept because I thought it was just that alone that was messing up the dome.  But then today I changed my routine up.  First of all I've always been a sink shaver but this morning I gave it a try in the shower.  I went out and bought a fogless mirror the other day to help with this process.  So after the wash I applied some HeadShed, then I applied a few squirts of baby oil...I used Johnson & Johnson's with Aloe and Vitamin E.  I'm sure any kind is fine because all you are looking for is that extra glide and protection from nicks.  Then I applied the HeadSlick on top of the baby oil.  Then shaved.  Then I used just a little dab more of HeadShed to help the warm water remove the baby oil.  I did this because the last time I used baby oil and left it on the dome it made my head feel too greasy the whole day.  Then after removing what I could of the baby oil, I got out of the shower, patted the dome a few times with a towel and applied HeadLube.  It was probably the best shave I've had so far.  Well, comfortable one with no irritation afterwards anyway.  I have to give it up to baldrob and everyone else who suggested the shower shave vs. the sink.  It does help out a lot to be able to just rinse and shave instead of giving the dome enough time to dry and then having to re-wet it all over again.  It gives the hair too much time to try and stiffen up again.  Thanks for all the good advice my sly bros.  I think I've finally found a good, comfortable shave routine.   O0

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
Glad to hear it, Lance!  I also get less irritation shaving in the shower, and an overall closer shave (especially if I shave in the evening).  If I can find some baby oil that doesn't feel too greasy, I may start plopping some on to soften the scalp even more.

jusbnme

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 12:02:19 AM »
Nice new pic blondeguy.  Looks like you have a whole new confidence about yourself.   O0  Keep it "sly." 

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 01:52:12 AM »
good deal lance glad you found a good routine...the shower is the only place i have shaved since i started.....i bought a cheap handheld mirror from walmart..works fine...if it fogs up i just rinse it off...also helps to keep the bathroom door open so the whole bathroom doesnt fog up.

only one more recommendation for ya...when you get out of shower go to the sink and rinse your head with cold water...it will close up your pores before applying the lotion.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 06:11:11 AM »
I tried shaving with baby oil once and it was a disaster, left me very sore.  :(

last week I bought one of these "ultimate shaving solution" bottles, first attempt didn't work well, 2nd attempt a few days later I got a great shave with less irritation than usual, far better than any shaving foam/gel I have used.

Enter your email address: