Author Topic: PAINFUL to Shave my head!  (Read 5004 times)

Offline frankrom

• Learning the way of Sly
PAINFUL to Shave my head!
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am new to shaving my head - started to do it because I was thinning on top a bit.  I took the plunge after much much consideration.

I am finding it extremely painful to shave my head...  This is what I have done so far...

First I shaved in the shower with canned aerosol can... I didn't find it all that painful as far as I can remember as it was a few weeks ago. 

I did some reading and I learned that it is better to use good quality shaving cream, oils and aftershave... this seems to be best done outside the shower due to the process.

So I bought good quality oil, creams and aftershave... I shower and then I put some preshave oil on my head... lather up some cream or shave soap and get it on my head... when I begin shaving I find that there is a lot of pulling, and also ripping type feeling... i find it extremely uncomfortable and painful...

I am using BRAND NEW 6 blade dorco razors, I also tried a safety razor tonight and my head is sliced up something awful. I am getting so frustrated and depressed. 

I feel like i had to look bad with thinning hair... and now I cannot even get a tight clean shave going.

I cannot shave every two days when it feels like this.

Any idea what is going on?  Should I try going back to shaving in the shower?

I should mention I shave against the grain because I want that tight clean look.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: PAINFUL to Shave my head!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
A few thoughts. Less number of blades is better. No more than 3! It took my head about a month to get conditioned to shaving, especially against the grain.

I would suggest using a foil type electric shaver, and then switch to a blade every few days. I found the Schick Extreme 3 disposable works great.

After you get really good at shaving, try the double edge again, but only when you have plenty of time to take it slow. Hang in there, it takes time to find a routine that works for you.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline frankrom

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
Are you suggesting due to the number of blades that could be causing the pulling and ripping feeling? I thought that would make it smoother.

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
Multi blade razors can cause irritation. I get that tugging on the sides of my head because the hair grows really flat. No problems on the top as the hair grows straight up. That's why I hit the sides and back with the electric before a shower, then use the razor in the shower all over the head.

One other thing to try is shave with the grain first, then kind of across the grain. Re lather each time.

Offline frankrom

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:24:42 PM »
What type of electric shaver are you taking about ?

I'll try with the grain then against as you have suggested.

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:58:02 PM »
I use a Remington 3 head foil shaver. Almost as close as a razor.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:39:03 AM »
I agree on using cartridges with less blades. Also, shave with the grain first and then make a pass against the grain.  This should also reduce any pulling of the hair that is taking place.

You CAN use a great shave cream in the shower. Many of us do.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 12:18:41 AM »
Trying to shave against the grain for a beginner is a big mistake. As far as the difference in looks , you really can’t see it. Only by using your hand against the grain that you feel the difference. Personally I do not shave the back of my head ATG . I get no irritation and no pulling.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
A few thoughts. Less number of blades is better. No more than 3! It took my head about a month to get conditioned to shaving, especially against the grain.

I would suggest using a foil type electric shaver, and then switch to a blade every few days. I found the Schick Extreme 3 disposable works great.

After you get really good at shaving, try the double edge again, but only when you have plenty of time to take it slow. Hang in there, it takes time to find a routine that works for you.

Superb advice

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »
Thank you, Goatee. I might add, and this puzzles me, you might get different results day to day. I shave my head everyday, and some days I just don't get a BBS headshave. The last 2 days, I could feel some stubble after a few hours. Today I produced a superb smooth shave.

Right after I finished shaving, I went on my daily walk at the park. It was 48 degrees, and the cool air felt awesome on my head.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
I shave with a foil shaver these days on my dome. I may go back to a razor but I am quite happy shaving this way for now

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
I shave with a foil shaver these days on my dome. I may go back to a razor but I am quite happy shaving this way for now
Glad to see you back, Goatee! Whatever works best for you is all that matters.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
Thank you my friend

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
I'll agree with comments made and add a few.

During your first month of shaving, don't expect perfection. Take your time. It might take 30 or more minutes to shave during the training days. You'll pick up speed as you go.

With the grain FIRST.  I can skip this part if I am shaving DAILY, but if I skip a few days, It's really a struggle to shave ATG first off. ATG gives the smoothest shave, but you don't start there.

Add some shave oil to the shaving cream or a pre-treatment.  Good hot towel soak before shaving (perhaps in the shower).

I like to follow up with witchhazel. It's an astringent. Does not stink. Has a unique aroma for a few moment. After shave if you like, and a good skin conditioner like Head Lube Glossy or some of the Nivea stuff. 

I've not tried the 27 blade razors (well exaggerating a bit), Just the HB3 or Schick Hydro 5 / Gillette Power Pro 5.  and a Double Edge safety blade. If I've skipped a few days, always start with the safety razor to brush hog down the weeds.  Take your time.  Don't scrape your head. Take it easy. Multiple passes of gentle shaving works better than one or two and gouging your head. Always move the blades perpendicular to the motion of the blade to avoid cuts. Careful around moles or other bumps.

Enjoy the sly head. Show it off.

Enter your email address: