Author Topic: First Timer  (Read 6336 times)

Offline drewfus

• Learning the way of Sly
First Timer
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »
I have been buzzing my head with either a 1 or no guard over the past few weeks but I am still seeing evidence of a horseshoe and I don't like it (MY hair grows very fast and 4 days after a no guard buzz it really doesn't look good.)
I am going to make an appointment this weekend with a barber to get my first straight razor shave done professionally and then look to maintain it myself at home. I need help from the experienced guys out there.
Do I need anything extra other than what I have been using on my face (Gilette razor, shave gel, after shave)? I was reading about getting special shave oil but I'm not familiar with anything like that. And any other tips would be great. I assume I will have to shave it myself every few days so I want to be ready. Thanks fellas.

Offline Themightyjuice

• Sly Jr.
Re: First Timer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:25:29 AM »
Hi and welcome  O0

I used to shave (my face) everyday and started getting pretty into my shaving set up. I bought a shavette, a good DE (Double edged) razor and a good badger hair brush. I started buying different shaving soaps and balls, mainly for the different scents. Instated to really get into it and really take my time preparing my face with hot water, exfoliants etc and what a difference it made. I started to really enjoy shaving and developed my own routine.

You'll find a lot of guys on here probably do the same with their heads... me not so much. I still like a nice soap and after shave balm but i don't spend as much time on my routine as I did with my face.

I mainly shave my head in the shower where it gets nicely prepped with the hot water. I'll exfoliate with Head scrub pre shave and I always use my Headblade. If I want a super smooth dome I'll tidy up using my Gillette razor.

At the end of the day it's really up to what works for you. Over time you may start really loving it and spend more time and money on your routine. But for now I'd definitely advise on a headbalde and a decent foam. After that the world is your oyster. Just enjoy being sly 👍🏻

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
Hi Drew, everyone develops their own routine, based on your skin type. There is lots of info here on different techniques, just read some threads. Just remember, at first, go mostly with the grain, and the Schick Extreme 3 disposable razor works great for me.

Good luck with your barbershop headshave. I have had a couple, not as smooth as I can do at home, but a great experience. One barber did a great job, and did a bald head massage at the end, heaven!

If you decide to keep a shaved head, part of the fun is experimenting with different razors and products. I ended up really liking the double edge safety razor and using shaving soap and brush.

Enjoy your bald head. After 4 years of shaving, I decided to let mine grow for awhile. It's been over a month, and I fight the urge to get out the razor every day.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »
I find that I have to shave my head daily. Lately, I have been using a Schick Injector razor with good results.  I find that I can get a good shave with two passes.
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.

Offline T_PH_R

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
I can relate, I never really liked buzzing my head. it's been a year since I've started shaving with a razor. i think it's the best choice I have ever made.

I've found that the Schick Hydro 5 works best for me. I use either the normal or sensitive cartridges, depending on what the store has in stock. I also use the Target equivalent to Aveeno's oatmeal shaving cream. I've never been a fan of the smell most shaving creams and gels have, so this is the main reason I prefer it.

I shave in the shower as the steam I think really helps. I use a charcoal facial scrub on my scalp to help remove any oils from my head. With enough practice I have been able to only have to shave with two passes, one with and one against the grain. Afterwords I tend to rinse with cold water and then moisturize with lotion.

You'll find whatever works best for you over time. Just take you time and don't rush.

Good luck!

Offline drewfus

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:56:48 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying a Maggard Starter pack with a few types of razors, brush and shaving soap. I plan on getting a professional shave done the first time this weekend and then doing it myself after.

I am sure I will have more questions once I get going, but how do you do the back of your heads to make sure you aren't missing any spots?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:35:22 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying a Maggard Starter pack with a few types of razors, brush and shaving soap. I plan on getting a professional shave done the first time this weekend and then doing it myself after.

I am sure I will have more questions once I get going, but how do you do the back of your heads to make sure you aren't missing any spots?

Welcome, Drewfus!

When I started shaving my head for good almost nine years ago, I had a three-door medicine
cabinet (I don't have it anymore) and I just folded the ends back to where it looked like a three-way dressing room mirror. After I got my technique down, I just simply feel all over my head. Head shaving is one of the few occasions where your hands may be better trained than your eyes. The key is to just concentrate on small sections of your head at a time and just feel until you're satisfied with the result.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 12:40:37 PM »
Crewcut, if your shaving everyday or every 2 days, it will be pretty hard to see missed spots in a mirror. You will learn to go by feel while shaving. Are you getting nervous or anxious about your barbershop visit? I hope it is a good experience for you.

Sirharry, I still have one of those triple mirrors, love it!

I just had lunch with a friend that is getting pretty thin on top. He just got a pretty short buzzcut. I suggested he think about shaving it, and let me know if he needs any tips!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Themightyjuice

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
I just do it by feel now. Take your head in sections. Top, sides, back. Just run your fingers over your head and you'll feel the missed spots. I do mine in the shower without a mirror and nail it every time. I haven't really been shaving all that long but it doesn't take long to get into your own groove. I do love my moto though. Makes things a helluva lot easier for me

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Another shaver, by feel, in the shower, here.  As the others have said it is not difficult and you will soon get the hang of it.  I tried the moto but have revered back to a Gillette safety razor

Offline drewfus

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 01:33:12 PM »

Ok, I did my first shave today with a DE razor. Honestly it could have gone worse. I did need my wife to help with the back of my head bc i was nervous about that. I do have a few cuts though. Any tips to help with bleeding or make them less noticable? Should i get one of those pencils that stops bleeding?

Offline Vince

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
Sorry about the bleeding.  Unfortunately, I can't really help with that as I have never cut myself shaving my head... YET.  :o  I've only been shaving my head since last June or July though... can't remember exactly but my routine is fast and simple and it works for me.

The best advice I can give you is to not press hard with the razor.  Let the razor do the work.  I've found several light passes with my razor works better than one hard pass.

I am also in the camp that shaves my dome every day.  I hate the sand paper feeling and for me, shaving every day makes it easier and faster for me.  I usually shave my entire head in 5 mins or less.

Offline Gregory001

• Bald is next to manliness
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 12:37:45 AM »
Hi Drewfus, Welcome to the club, I hope you'll find your best answer and tips from our co fellow bald headers. But as for me I never tried doing it by myself. I cannot recommend any razor, and if you are willing to try out what our members says I think that would be the best thing.

Enter your email address: