Author Topic: Introduction, and questions  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Dracconus

• Learning the way of Sly
Introduction, and questions
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »
Hello, and allow me to say thanks ahead of time for any warm welcomes to the SBG forums.
My name's Dracconus (Yes, that's my real name) and I'm a 32 year old male that used to SUFFER from receeding, and thinning hair (since approximately 18) due to (probably) my own causes from rubbing my head when I wore a hat and worked in construction, and kitchens.  I say this because no one in my family has balding issues at all, so I highly doubt it's genetic, and my testosterone levels are fine.

Getting that out of the way, I have a few questions.
I recently just decided to stick with shaving my head bald.  I have Sebhorreic Dermatitis which results in my skin becoming VERY easily irritated in high stress scenarios, but also if I shave too often, or don't shave often enough.  Sadly as of late it has decided to take it's toll on my head as well as my face, resulting in a burning sensation most of you are lucky to have not known.  It's very similar to that of what I believe shingles would feel like.

Anyhow, moving along; I've been currently using a combination of a foil shaver that my phillips norelco travel grooming set has which I actually quite like, but the foil is simply "too small" to effectively do the job.  I have to clean it about five times per head shave per day.  I also use a 3 blade razor that I don't personally like the feel of, but it does the job without irritating my skin too heavily.

I am looking for the best alternative to these two that will keep me under $50 as this is a fairly new expense I've decided to take on, and I decided to do it during a bit of a financial tight-time.

Any recommendations would be great, and VERY much appreciated.  I'm looking to purchase within the next 24 hours, so please feel free to spam this post with suggestions. 

Naturally I'll research each of them before I purchase to prevent any blame for faults being pushed onto anyone so feel free to list pros, and cons if you want, but no hard feelings if you don't.

I'm not quite at 30 days, but I have no problem saying I'm quite content with shaving my head for the rest of my days.  To quote a response to a friend of mine on Facebook the other day: "Oh, I loved my hair when it was a full head; but getting older I lost a lot of confidence in my head. I went from the hair that every girl loved and wanted to touch due to natural highlights, and tones and bounce to the hair that I didn't even want to look at.
I shaved because of dermatological reasons, but over the last few days I've found it extremely pleasing to my OCD to have something to focus on aside from the meticulousness that I'm rarely able to obtain in life due to constrained space, and a newborn restricting my schedule.
That 5-15 minutes of "me time" where I get to focus on how smooth it comes out just relaxes me inside, plus I'm not sure what it is, but there's something oddly soothing about a razor grazing through the hairs on your head. Seriously, it sounds daft; but it's true.
The level of confidence one exudes when sporting a bald head is also a perk. A lot of people just don't want to pull it off, and most of the ones that do aren't white because, well...the whole "skinhead" thing.

As for the feeling, I'd say it's akin to a back massage."

I've included a picture of myself both before, and after shaving my head as my "here I am" post.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Introduction, and questions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:32:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Dracconus!

The before picture wasn't too bad, but your after picture is great. Sorry that you were pretty much forced to shave due to SD, but in the end, it might be for the better.

I find that the safety single blade razors work the best and are fairly reasonable. Many stores have them, the handle is about $15-25, but the safety blades themselves are pretty cheap and can be used multiple times if stored properly. Sometimes, too many blades can aggravate a scalp. I take it your SD clears up pretty fast after shaving, right?
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Dracconus

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Dracconus!

The before picture wasn't too bad, but your after picture is great. Sorry that you were pretty much forced to shave due to SD, but in the end, it might be for the better.
No worries for me at all.  I'm quite satisfied with the bald look thus far, and don't really see myself changing it (which is why I'm wanting to invest more money into it, but I'd rather start on the cheaper end, and work my way into the more expensive enjoyable stuff JUST in case I change my mind (which I don't see happening.)

I find that the safety single blade razors work the best and are fairly reasonable. Many stores have them, the handle is about $15-25, but the safety blades themselves are pretty cheap and can be used multiple times if stored properly.  Sometimes, too many blades can aggravate a scalp.
Actually, of this I was very aware; however due to the condition I have my skin is very particular to bladed razors which is why I intended to (and forgot to) mention that I was looking for an electric alternative.
The foil that I have doesn't aggravate my skin for the most part.  The plastic on the sides of it do, but that's a different story that really has nothing to do with the razor.  It's a cheap-o remington travel shaver that wasn't designed for the purpose, so I can't really fault it for that.
I have looked into a safety razor that I believe the name of was "bevel" and have seen mixed reviews regarding it and sensitive skin thus I'm looking for other people's input that have been doing this for some time now.

I take it your SD clears up pretty fast after shaving, right?
Amazingly so, actually.  I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see how since Feb 8th my scalp has become WORLDS better than what it was.  The first three images I've included in this response are "Day One" results, and the last one I took just now while holding my little one.  The change in the quality of my skin within the week that I've been shaving my head is just unfathomable.

The reason I'm looking for an electric alternative is because due to years of fighting, and afew surgeries, plates, and accidents, etc. I've got my fair share of dents, divots, and lumps in my head, and shaving with a regular razor is just an absolute pain in the butt, and completely un-enjoyable experience as I walk out more damaged than I went into the scenario; and I feel that a pivoting head rotary for example might be a much more logical route to take to ensure that the O.C.D. in me is satisfied without going to the barbershop every morning for a straight razor done by a professional.

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:58:25 AM »
Drac - you look wayyyyyyyyyyy better Dude... No sweat for you.
Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline Dracconus

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:37:32 AM »
Thanks, yeah it feels So amazing to not have hell's fire on top of my head because I'm basically allergic to my own hair.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
Hey, Dracconus

I have an Andis foil shaver that I got on Amazon for $59.99. It works pretty well when I go longer than three days without shaving. It gets pretty close without a razor, and it comes with a brush to clear out the foil head. Just putting that out there for you.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
What a difference!  Your skin must be thanking you!