Author Topic: Shaving Brushes  (Read 9071 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Shaving Brushes
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:23:07 AM »
Has anyone here ever used a shaving brush to lather up their shaving cream?  If so, do you think it gives you a better shave?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Shaving Brushes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 05:24:44 PM »
I went to a school where canned shaving cream was banned. (I know, it never made sense to me either.)  The only option we were allowed was the old shaving mug and bush.  Everyone made it a point to stash their cans from the cadre.  Not many used the mug and bush for any long duration.

I will say if you get past the slowness of it, the bush is better then your standard cheap “can o’ shaving cream.”  I just hated the process.  I never though about using it for the head.  It probably would be a great in between balance of quality and frugality.

I must say, been using baby oil for about two weeks now, and I am liking it a lot.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 04:09:29 AM »
ar3inc: Hey, it's great to hear others are using baby oil too. It's a great choice if you want to be able to shave with only one item (eg on a trip) - you've got the baby oil as a lubricant for the actual shave, and you've got a great after-shave product as well.

Now, as far as brushes are concerned:

yes, I do use a brush. I mainly use three lubricants for shaving (see my shaving cream review in the reviews section) and two of them require the use of a brush.

The good thing about the brush is that you can easily (and quickly) apply the cream
evenly. It makes sure you've got the entire surface of your head evenly covered and that you haven't missed a spot.
Sure, you can also apply the cream with your hand, but I feel that's quite laborious and you almost never get it evenly applied, plus, you often accidentally remove some cream from some areas when you move your hand over your head.
And we all know, areas that weren't covered (or weren't sufficiently covered) with cream are more difficult to shave and there's risk of nicks and cuts there.

So yes, if you do use a shaving cream, better use a brush as well. If you use a gel, that's a different story, of course...

I think only a brush can quarantee a good result when using shaving cream.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline CarlosMIS

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 06:32:45 PM »
You know what works good too?

Find a girl's powder brush and clean it, is nice and soft!!!

I keep "borrowing" stuff from my girlfriend's draw since most of it is design for delicate skin.
Sincerely Bald,
Carlos

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:08:36 PM »
I started using a shaving brush with hot lather about 3 years back and nothing really beats it, in terms of getting that smooth finish. I think it allows more time for the hairs to soak up moisture and thus, making them easier to shave off.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
As you guys saw, I have the hot shave machine from Sharper image. I started using it with a shaving brush that my grandpa gave me for x-mas and it is fantastic!

The one thing great about a brush is that it changes the consistancy of the shaving cream or gel. It makes it much smoother. It actually feels different on your skin than if you just used your hand.

The shaving brush I use has a wooden handle and the bristles flair out giving great coverage.

I highly reccomend getting a brush becuase it feels so much nicer on the skin when you shave.

But do I see a difference in the shave as far as closeness or smoothness? Nope, its about the same.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
Nice Mach 3 Shaving brush set
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 01:11:14 PM »
For those who would like to try it. It comes with a Mach 3 special edition razor.

http://www.mygroomsmengifts.com/menshavingset-ggr237.html

BaldRob

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:47:40 PM »
Nice find funny man!

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:49:36 PM »
I use one on my face every morning, cake soap, badger brush, mug.  I have used it on my head, but prefer to shave the head in the shower.

Goes hand in hand with shaving with a Straight razor
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:57:35 PM »
I use to have a Soap Dish and a shaving brush... I loved it, really lathered up the face nicely.... I use to put it in a girlfriends son too and he would roar cause it tickled. than we'd shave together ( he had a Spiderman shave kit with fake razor) it was so funny.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

spaceape48

Re: Nice Mach 3 Shaving brush set
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
For those who would like to try it. It comes with a Mach 3 special edition razor.

http://www.mygroomsmengifts.com/menshavingset-ggr237.html

Fancy smancy! It's like a piece of artwork. Very nice

Offline Socrates

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 04:09:06 AM »
Hey Everybody...

I've never used a brush.  I remember getting one for a birthday from my wife, but I turned it into a powder application tool.  ;D  I'd much rather use my hands to apply cream, because I feel as if I'm able to truly massage it in my scalp.

Peace...

Socrates

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 06:49:55 AM »
Hey Everybody...

I've never used a brush.  I remember getting one for a birthday from my wife, but I turned it into a powder application tool.  ;D  I'd much rather use my hands to apply cream, because I feel as if I'm able to truly massage it in my scalp.

Peace...

Socrates

Good point, ^ never thought of it that way
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline dieseldan04

• Dieseldan04
  • Sly
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »
I use a badger hair brush to apply the shaving soap to my scalp after the KOS oil with great results.  I also use it when I straight razor shave my face twice a week with great results.
Dieseldan04

Shine On Fellow Chrome Domers!

Offline medicineman

• Head shaver/Beard grower
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
All the lube I use to shave with requires using a brush.  I prefer hard shaving soap to creams though.  I shave in the shower and have no problems using a mug and brush there.  I enjoy the whole process of whipping up a thick lather and applying in to my scalp with the brush. 

Enter your email address: