Author Topic: Head and Hair softer  (Read 2608 times)

jusbnme

Head and Hair softer
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:28:15 AM »
Has anyone else that uses an exfoliator as a pre-shave, whether it's HeadShed or store brand, noticed that their head has gotten smoother.  I know that this is what the exfoliator is supposed to help do but it's gotten to where I don't have to shave as much.  Is that also what the exfoliator is meant for?  To soften up your hair and scalp so you don't have to shave as much?  I don't know, maybe it's just me.  But since adding the HeadShed, and now the cheaper St. Ives' scrub, in my routine I've noticed in the past week I can let my head shaving go for two days instead of every day like I was doing it.  I was trying to shave against the grain every day even though I would have some bad irritation.  But I started noticing that 24 hours later after shaving against the grain my head would still be very smooth.  I mean you could definitely feel a little stubble in some spots but it doesn't feel real prickly the way it use to before the exfoliator being added to my routine.  I've been shaving every other day against the grain for the past week and it seems to be working good.  My irritation has also cleared up by doing this too.  Just wondering if anybody else has noticed the exfoliator making a great difference as it has for me?  I also started using baby oil under my HeadSlick which also helps a lot.  I don't know if that has something to do with making my hair soft also? 

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Head and Hair softer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:54:56 AM »
Don't know about the exfoliator Lance, I think it is more the baby oil.  Didn't notice a big difference with the exfoliator, but this last week of using the oil I have noticed I go 14-16 hours or more and still be smooth.  Here it is 26 hours and I have only a very fine stubble, which was not the case before.  I do know that it is making it easier on my skin.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:37:45 AM »
I'm thinking it must be the baby oil since I use an exfoliator before and after my shave and I still need to shave every day.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »
Oils, for me, tend to give a better shave and I stay smooth longer...

Just a thought, but maybe since the oil makes the stubble hairs swell and soften up, the hair might actually be pulled up from the skin a little bit which would allow a "closer" shave... Hmmmmmmm... any of you medical types have theory?

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »
Hair Anatomy 101

from the Nexxus Salon Hair Care Website

http://www.nexxus.com/expert_hair_care_advice/hair_information_anatomy.html

Hair is mainly composed of a protein called keratin (about 88%). Keratin starts out as a soft substance arising from the follicle and keratinizes (hardens) as it rises up and out into the hair shaft. Keratin is insoluble, very tough, and highly elastic.

FWIW, doesn't sound like hair can absorb much of anything.