Author Topic: DE vs Cartridge  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Adam I

• Learning the way of Sly
DE vs Cartridge
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »
I know there is tons of stuff out there about this but i cant figure it out. I am going back and forth with a DE and then the cartridge and really cant tell any difference other than the DE leaves me a little irritated. Just tired of going back and forth. I think one reason there isn't much difference is I shave daily so its just short stubble to cut. Any input or experiences here guys?

Thanks

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: DE vs Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »
Welcome back!

Nothing wrong with going back and forth between the two...but sometimes daily shaving can cause unnecessary irritation. I'm already a lazy headshaver, but after a procedure I had done this past summer, I now shave every three days. If you're happy with both, maybe I should suggest shaving every other day so the hairs can grow a little more leaving a smoother, less irritable shave.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »
Hi Adam:  Every head shaver is different.  For me... I get the best head shaves if I shave every other day using a DE or SE razor.  Cartridge razors for me do not compare.  I get longer lasting smoothness and better shaves using a DE or SE razor.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Adam I

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess i get a little trigger happy and shouldn't shave daily all the time. The main reason I do my head daily is that I hate seeing the hair line return. Do you guys go ATG when DE shaving your head? Also what the best type of blade? I got some Dorco blades for my first but I'm not thrilled.

Thanks again !

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
What kind of cream do you use? Do you use a brush? I know you hate that leftover horseshoe shadow (we all do) but sometimes being OCD can leads to cuts and a lot worse on your head. Trust me, when I say that 98% of the people who see your head won't even know about the horseshoe shadow.

As for me, if it's three days or less I only go one pass ATG and then I just feel for missed spots, but since I had my procedure, I'm not as OCD about missed spots, but when I feel one I just make an ATG pass. If it's longer than three days (not often) I do one WTG pass and one ATG pass.

Offline Adam I

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
Your right about the OCD thing for sure, and also I'm sure about 98% not even seeing the horse shoe. I have made things worse trying too much pressure etc back there. Yes I have a badger brush and here lately I have been using a sandalwood Art of Shaving kit that I got for Christmas. It has pre shave oil, a cream that comes in a jar or cup, and after shave. tried the dollar shave club shave butter with no brush also but I like the brush combo best. I really dont think the brush is much different than no brush shaving daily, but it is when the hair is longer for sure better.

Thanks again

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
No problem! I have a suggestion about the shadow, but it's not permanent. Have you ever thought of investing in some concealer for the days you want to cover the shadow? That's what I do.

Offline Adam I

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 06:42:10 AM »
What kind of concealer?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:16:31 AM »
The brand that I use is called DermaMatch. It's usually sold at high-end department stores such as Macy's or J C Penney's It costs about $35 dollars on average, but you could maybe find it cheaper on Amazon. You could also ask the associate if you could have a small free sample to see if it works for you. It comes in various colors, and when I rub it on my head, you can't even see any of the shadow (I don't use it all the time) Check out these pictures:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:27:28 AM by SirHarry225 »

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 11:19:03 AM »
Dermamatch appears to be for covering up hair loss, how do you use it to hide the shadow?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:58:14 PM »
It's actually called Dermablend concealer. My apologies to the OP

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
Well I'm not that bothered by the shadow, and I'm too set in my ways to wear makeup, but admit it does the job

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 11:58:26 PM »
Well I'm not that bothered by the shadow, and I'm too set in my ways to wear makeup, but admit it does the job

Hey, that's what a forum is for, right? To share different points of view, but still be friends.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 04:52:37 AM »
Of course it is, and I meant no offence, but to me, its kind of similar to when you first start losing your hair, and you try to hide it....I've been through that and found the courage (with the help of sbg) to shave and not care what people think or say...I'm probably just over thinking it, what do I care lol, no offence to the op and I can't tell you are using a concealer, I just don't get why someone would want to hide it

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
Recently I've started just shaving every 2 days ATG, unless I have a special event ( Chirsmas, birthday, performance etc) to attend. If that happens I will either shave 2 days in a row or skip a day so I can look and feel my best for the special event.